NASCAR Fines Denny Hamlin For Comments Made Following Race At Phoenix International Raceway

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts

NASCAR Fines Denny Hamlin For Comments Made Following Race At Phoenix International Raceway

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (March 7, 2013) NASCAR has fined driver Denny Hamlin $25,000 for comments he made following the March 3 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race at Phoenix International Raceway.

NASCAR determined that Hamlin violated Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) of the 2013 NASCAR Rule Book.

NASCAR issued the following statement regarding the penalty:

Following the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event last Sunday at Phoenix International Raceway, Denny Hamlin made some disparaging remarks about the on-track racing that had taken place that afternoon. While NASCAR gives its competitors ample leeway in voicing their opinions when it comes to a wide range of aspects about the sport, the sanctioning body will not tolerate publicly made comments by its drivers that denigrate the racing product.

updated by @stars-radio: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Gimme a break, NASCAR. There are bigger fish to fry, like figuring out why the racing is still so lousy.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Perhaps every week, just before the latest "nationally known recording artist" butchers our National Anthem, NASCAR could have Ray Stevens sing one of his old treasured hits. If the fans hear it over and over evey week, they might become believers and forget the product on the track.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
JAck Redd
@jack-redd
11 years ago
111 posts

Good golly Ms. Molly (Mama) , here we go again! Hamlin has stated that he is NOT going to pay the fine. Of course JGR will probably paid it anyhow. It is going to be interesting on this deal coming up this weekend. Well shut my mouth! lol

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

When the sound of the "long knives" clink in the night, think of the Gestapo. Remember how Hitler removed all those who would question him? Is this where NASCAR is going. Think of how it is going to be when FOX can't get a single comment out of a driver or crewman and we are left with the talking press and the incessant Waltrip duo. What's that going to do for ratings. I'm not a Hamlin fan, but I sure dusted off my Fex-EX number 11 cap I was given a couple of years ago and I may wear that around for a couple of days. I hate to see where the sport is going with these actions. I am getting very ill over all this. I want NASCAR to succeed. I want NASCAR to be respected, but the actions of the past couple of weeks almost paralell certain goverment entities who also can't seem to get anything right. I do hope that state is NOT a violation of the Rules of Engagement and is not subject to fine by NASCAR. I may have to give up The Legendtorials on Tuesday nights if this censorship continues.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
11 years ago
111 posts

NEVER give up those "Legendtorials" JA Tim. There will ALWAYS be something to talk about. I wonder if the drivers would get "fined" for NOT talking at all to the press? Is that what is coming next? Freedom of speech in NA(SCAR) is as bad as their new website! That is my opinion and I am sticking to it!

david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

you know freedom of speech is gone - but if nascar really puts on the pressure he will cave - there is just no where else to race and make the kind of living he does - he is right though - the product sucks - you know dave and tim and many others on here are so informative - i really like hearing what they have to say - like someone on here said - these times they are a changing .

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
11 years ago
514 posts

Mike Stefanik has just released his opinion on Denny's fine.

Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
11 years ago
119 posts

The product stinks and I am sure more drivers and crews would vouch for that but Hamlin and a few probably are the only ones who have the guts to say it, so kudos Hamlin, I support ya man. When a driver says it does, you think NASCAR would take a look at ask why he would say it? instead its, "SHUT UP AND PAY $25,000." Really? "Actions detrimental to stock car racing?" I could think of many people who should be fined for that. That is so vague

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

I think the actions of the Waltrip duo fit under that rule...along with those who put them there.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Absolute power....... corrupts absolutely. But, expulsions "for life" and other heavy-handed tactics are nothing new for NASCAR. Anyone remember Marshall Teague?

Charles William  'Butch' Ramsey
@charles-william-butch-ramsey
11 years ago
3 posts

I think it is terrible that a person can be fined for merely expressing an opinion which contained absolutely no profanity or violent language. What happened to free speech in a free country? Is NASCAR going to start operating like the MAFIA? resorting to punitive measures when a driver in his own organization cannot speak? I am not a particular Denny Hamlin fan, but he does have his rights.

Please mute the goat!!!!

Slim_Shady
@slim-shady
11 years ago
26 posts

I don't agree with NASCAR but I don't totally agree with Denny. I think it's time for these panty waist pretty boys to "SHUT UP and DRIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!! They just don't realize how good they have it. Hell , put them in the Wood Bros. 63 Ford that Tiny Lund won the 63 Daytona 500 in. 500 miles on 1(one) set of tires ! Talk about a hard compound :0. Then they would find out what "not handling" really is. Well enough of my rant. Just tires of these spoiled brats whining and crying.