GoGirl Says "No" to F-1

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I missed the USA Today piece where Danica Patrick discussed at Bristol this past Friday the possibility of going Formula One racing.

If the rest of her season goes like the past three weeks, including both her qualifying and racing at Bristol, she may be soon reconsidering her position. I bet F-1could find a ride for Ricky, too, to get Danica and the press she'd generate.

Danica Patrick to F1's Bernie Ecclestone: No, but thanks
By Nate Ryan

USA TODAY Sports March 15, 2013

BRISTOL, Tenn. Danica Patrick politely rebuffed Bernie Ecclestone's suggestion she race in his series but also seemed amused by the courtship of the Formula One honcho, who infamously disparaged her eight years ago.

"I did see Bernie's comments; they sounded complimentary," Patrick said Friday morning at Bristol Motor Speedway. "It looked like he was kind of acknowledging my ability to drive a car. So, that was kind."

In an interview on the F1 website in advance of this weekend's season opener at Australia, Ecclestone was asked whether Formula One would have a female driver on par with Patrick within a few years. Ecclestone said he thought the series had the appeal to lure Patrick from the Sprint Cup Series.

"There should be no reason why not, providing that we find a team to take her," he told the website. "Danica would be good to have with one of the teams now. All the things that people worry about -- whether a woman can cope with the G-forces and all that -- she has proven that she can. She's been there and done it. What I think -- and I cannot blame her for it -- is that she will hardly want to give up the exposure she has in the U.S. to come here and maybe not make it."

Indeed, Patrick, who recently became the first woman to win a Sprint Cup pole position and the first to lead the Daytona 500, said she wouldn't test a car unless she was serious about making the switch from NASCAR's premier series, where she is three races into her rookie season.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

That is too bad. I can see her taking one of NASCAR's "finest" broadcasters with her to all those F-1 races. Oh well, another dream down the drain.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

She should have taken him up on it. At least the lowest you can finish in an F1 race is 22nd, LOL.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Wonder if they have "vortexes" at F-1 races, Tim

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

!!! Good one, Sandeep!

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Love it Sandeep!!! Good going.

Dave, there is a "vortex" anywhere that mouth operates. It's that simple. There is also a vacuum between the ears of that mouth machine.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

As an old marketing guy, I see a sponsorship opportunity here for Hoover, Electrolux, Dyson, Bissell, Eureka Dirt Devil or one of the other numerous manufacturers of vacuum devices.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, none of the vacuum manufacturers you mention come close to matching the vacuum inside the heads of those under discussion here. But, seriously, after seeing the video on how many times Danica was mentioned during the Daytona 500, I wonder what it would sound like in German, Spanish, French, etc? But, she is good for NASCAR. Even running 40th, D.W. doesn't forget to mention her. Maybe he just likes saying the name. Wonder if Stevie watches those broadcasts?

--

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Does that mean we can't criticize a terrible and overhyped movie either just because we have never acted in or directed a movie ourselves? :)

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Never tried.

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Oh, it's all good. I knew you were just ribbing.

Yes, close to supper time here. Enjoy the rest of your breakfast. :)

david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

the legend i allways enjoy your comments - i appreciate your humor and the points you make .

david earnhardt
@david-earnhardt
11 years ago
112 posts

i have heard that a major network is going to broadcast some f1 races - i have talked to some younger generation fans that support f1 - they get a crowd together and cook breakfast and watch the race - i guess these times are a changing .