March 27, 1960: Lee Petty Whoops 'Em at Wilkesboro

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

First, happy birthday to the Chief -Maurice Petty. Now let's get him into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Second, March 27, 1960 - Poppa Lee wins ... again. At Wilkesboro ... again. Amidst some controversy ... again. I'll give Lee Petty credit for one thing. He wasn't afraid to pick a battle with Junior Johnson on his own turf. Not something most drivers would choose to do.

Read (and watch) on!
http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-27-1960-lee-petty-is-wilkesboro.html

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I think Lee Petty would have fought anyone on any turf when he thought he was right. Remember the story Tiny Lund used to tell about the incident he had with Lee and it was actually Elizabeth Petty and her pocketbook that almost knocked Tiny unconcious? What stories!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

From the way I've heard Tom Higgins tell the story, it was Ms. Elizabeth's snub nosed .38 in her purse that did the trick when she whopped it upside Tiny's head. haha

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Lol. I'm sure Tom knows that story better than do I. But either way, it's funny.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Happy birthday to Chief, whether you call him Morris or Maureeeece!

Also note it is the 74th birthday of a fellow down round Timmonsville, SC, in the shadow of Darlington, whose first two names are William Caleb. Here's a pic of me and him together a year or two back!

And, today is also the 49th anniversary of the late Dick Hutcherson's first NASCAR Grand National start - also a South Carolina affair - at Greenville-Pickens.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Just checked - and how 'bout this. Chief and Combover Cale were born on SAME DAY of SAME YEAR. March 27, 1939. That's a whole lot of greatness born to the Carolinas.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Yes it is/was! Cool!

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Amid all the hullabaloo, another good points day for eventual champion Rex White with a quiet second place. :)

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
11 years ago
171 posts

I too vote for getting Maurice Petty into the NASCAR Hall of Fame. I remember my uncle talking about those races, Maurice Petty, Lee Petty, Junior Johnson,and others.How I wish I'd attended some raceswith him.

If I'm not mistaken, Sam Ard and Maurice Petty had plans to form their own team in 1985. Of course this was not to be. :(

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO THE CHIEF!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I actually got to see Maurice drive. At my first-ever NASCAR race in spring 1964, the Richmond 250, Maurice in the #41 PE Plymouth outqualified brother, Richard in the #43. Maurice started 4th that day and Richard 6th!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Maurice "Chief" Petty can be clearly seen around the 9:54 mark driving the #41 Plymouth on the dirt at Richmond on March 8, 1964 in this Ford Motor Company documentary on Ned Jarrett from 1966:

--