April 30, 1966 - Rebel 400 footage

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

For you east coasters, I'm a bit late. But for those of us in the CDT time zone, I'm able to slip this one on April 30 with about 20 minutes to spare.

Earlier, Tim Leeming referenced The King's win in the Rebel 400 at Darlington on April 30, 1966. I blogged about his win on the race's anniversary a year ago here:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/04/april-30-this-day-in-petty-history-part.html

Coincidentally, just yesterday I was given a DVD with snippets of a handful of races from years gone by. My pulse quickened when I noticed the lead segment was the 1966 Rebel 400. It took me a while tonight to copy the clip to my PC, upload it to Vimeo, and then make it available for embedding. But here it is - enjoy some wonderful memories from victory number 43 for the driver of car number 43.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Awesome, Chase!!! I've watched it twice and relived that day as if it were happening now. Thank you so much for posting that one!!!!! Now, I'm late getting to the History Minute and it is TOTALLY YOUR FAULT! lol. But you are forgiven. Keep finding things like that clip. I love seeing it.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Thanks Chase. Great footage. The narrowness of the old layout blows me away everytime.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Enthralling to watch.

Thank you so much for your efforts in getting this posted, Chase.

Kudos.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
david strachan
@david-strachan
11 years ago
8 posts

a little off topic, but has anyone watched the 64 southern 500 qualifying where Pearson qualifies a black roofed dodge # 6,but starts the race in a red roofed # 6?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I've heard this pointed out before and would love to hear the answer. A week later at Richmond, Pearson's car owner, Cotton Owens, came out of retirement and drove a black roofed Dodge #5 to victory on the dirt at Richmond to teach David a lesson.

Here's a photo of the black roofed Dodge #6 at Darlington in 1964 as posted by Paul Mossburg on Photobucket from a copy originally posted by a gentleman from Sweden:

Here's the black roofed #5 below a week later at Richmond on the dirt with Cotton taking checkers.

COG website

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Here is some footage from the 64 Southern 500. As you note, the footage shows Pearson qualifying in a black roofed #6 Dodge. He qualified 2nd to Richard Petty (who chose the outside line to start). When the racing begins, Pearson is inside on the front row in a red roofed car.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

*** BUMP ***

--

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM