Twin Lakes Speedway

Tony Cooper
@tony-cooper
14 years ago
10 posts
Do any of you remember the old Twin Lakes Speedway in Elberton Georgia? I remember going there in the late fifties several times. One race there was, I believe, a NASCAR Short Track Series race, but I can find no record of it. Any help would be appreciated.
updated by @tony-cooper: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Tony, do you recall where the speedway was located?
Tony Cooper
@tony-cooper
14 years ago
10 posts
Going into Elberton on Ga. 17 from Tignall, you would turn right on Ga. 72 and head toward Calhoun Falls.I believe it was down that road a piece.I remember, too, that the winner of the feature at the weekly races would get a free steak dinner at the Branding Iron restaurant in Elberton.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Tony, According to racing-reference.info...........Twin Lakes Raceway did not host a NASCAR Grand National race. I was also able to determine that T-L was a 1/4 track that was in operation from 1957 -1960. I did find a possible site off of GA Hwy. 72 about 10 miles east of Elberton, near Calhoun Falls. Check out these Google aerial and see what you think.
Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
14 years ago
30 posts
Bobby, I think you're pretty close. I've got a shot of the spot of the track today that I got using GPS coordinates of the site, but it's on my computer at work.I've actually been out to the spot where the track was. It's located out in the woods behind somebody's house (don't ask me who. We just drove out there on a Sunday and hoped for the best!).We actually couldn't pull down onto the track, as the road was getting pretty bad. We came within about 20 yards of it, though.This is a track that I've wanted to add to the "Lost Tracks" section at Georgia Racing History.com, but I haven't gotten my hands on any photos of racing at the track yet. Mike Bell (who was driving the day we visited the track) has said he has some, but I've not been able to get them yet.I know Roz Howard won out there, and I've been told one driver was pretty badly burned in a crash there at one point, but survived.I'll try to catch up with Mike in a day or so and get some more info for you.Brandon ReedGeorgia Racing History.com
Tony Cooper
@tony-cooper
14 years ago
10 posts
Thanks for all the information! I appreciate it. Tony
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Thanks Brandon for the update. The site that I was looking at, upon zooming down to "street-level" the view was that of a long driveway leading up to a house in the background..........this was not really evident from the aerial. We may be focusing on the same area. Be fun to know more about the story.
Edgar N. Worley
@edgar-n-worley
8 years ago
3 posts

Hello . im the grandson of the man who built and ran twin lakes raceway. if anyone wants info. im not much on this internet stuff but i will do what i can.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
8 years ago
327 posts

Hi Edgar,

Was this Twin Lakes Speedway?

Today

Edgar N. Worley
@edgar-n-worley
8 years ago
3 posts

yes. that is it .

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
8 years ago
327 posts

Edgar, thanks being here to fill in some info.

Here are a few questions for you -

1) What was your Grandfather's name?

2) What years did it run from first race to last?

3)What was the length of the track?

4) What divisions did it run, and were any races NASCAR sanctioned?

5) Who were some of the drivers that ran there?

6) Why did it close down?

Also, any remarkable stories about any of the races would be interesting.

Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
8 years ago
30 posts

From Mike Bell:

Mr. L. L. Worley and another man whose name escapes at this second built and opened the track on July 4th, 19557. It was a 1/4-mile track and the fourth and last track the Rufus Tribble of Anderson, SC, did the dirty work. He built and ran East Park Speedway in Anderson, Toccoa Speedway in Toccoa, Hollywood Speedway just off what is now the four-lane to Clayton, GA, and Twin Lakes Raceway. Rufus helped the first 2 years but got completely out of racing in August of 1958 when he closed East Park. No NASCAR races but some SRE/MARC races. Bud Lunsford won a lot of races there as did Bill York. Doris Sosebee, driving for Jim Bradshaw, got burned badly there but returned to racing later. Charlie Mize ran the track in 1959 but had trouble with the heat and added a cover to the grandstands. Still closed for lack of cars. Ran some in late 1960 with Lewis Maw of Saluda, SC. And I think in early 1961. He ran Greenwood Fairgrounds and Newberry Fairgrounds with amateur and jalopies. My research is not complete but I am working on it now.

Mike Bell

Georgia Racing Archives

Edgar N. Worley
@edgar-n-worley
8 years ago
3 posts

E. L. Worley and not sure about the dirt work. Elbert was a fish pond builder and had a that time 3 D-3 catapillers i was told. and knowing him as a did i cant imagine him not doing the work . but you may be correct.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
8 years ago
560 posts

TWIN LAKES RACEWAY IS NEAR Bethel E Baptist Church.
Bethel E Baptist Church
2576 Calhoun Falls Hwy
Elberton, GA 30635-4903
http://www.whitepages.com/directions/7ff2e91e-8dae-4864-8321-cd756c...

I THINK WE GOT THE SAME GOOGLE SAT PHOTO.
I FOUND MY BY TYPING Bethel E Baptist Church, Elberton, GA AT WHITEPAGES.COM .

Brandon Reed
@brandon-reed
8 years ago
30 posts

From Mike Bell:

I do not doubt that he did the work but Rufus laid out the lines to follow.

Mike Bell

Georgia Racing Archives