Racing History Minute - May 8, 1965

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

We are back in Darlington for today's minute. After all, it IS Darlington race week even if the "Bojangles Southern 500" doesn't carry the clout with many of us that the Labor Day event always did. But today, we are talking about race number 15 on the 1965 schedule. I did not personally attend that event because Chrysler was boycotting NASCAR in 1965, and I observed the boycott. If Richard wasn't racing, I wasn't going. That simple for me.

Fred Lorenzen qualified his Ford on the pole. Marvin Panch, in another Ford started second. The first 11 qualifiers were Ford and Mercurys before J.T. Putney put a Chevrolet in 12th. 1965 was, indeed, the year of Ford Motor Company dominance, but then again, there were no other factory entries until late in the year when NASCAR relented and allowed the Mopars to return to limited tracks. But that's another story for another time.

Lorenzen led the first lap before third place starter, Junior Johnson moved in front. Johnson always drove Darlington with such precision. Even with his hard charging style, he was as smooth as silk around the egg-shaped oval every race. This day would be no different. Johnson would lead 197 of the 219 laps although Lorenzen, Panch, Yarborough, Dick Hutcherson, and Darel Dieringer would all get a lap or two in front.

On lap 5, Wayne Smith's Chevy stalled on the track and Earl Balmer, at full speed, crashed into the stopped number 38. Bub Strickler climbed the wall (metal guard rail) and flipped his Ford on its roof and slid that way through turn one. Strickler would say later that it was a wild ride with glass, sparks, asphalt, all flying in his face shield. He wondered what his face would have looked like if he had not had the shield. Marvin Panch had blown a tire and hit the wall in his swift Wood Brothers Ford but managed to limp home in Eleventh place, 18 laps behind the winner.

Johnson's win was immediately protested by Bud Moore, owner of second place finisher, Darel Dieringer. NASCAR's "fluid" rule book clearly stated that a car must stop in its own pit stall. On the last stop of the race, Junior slid through his pitand stalled the car. Accordingly, even in those days, the rule was clear: If you went through your pit, you were required to make another lap and come back in and stop in YOUR pit. Instead, Junior's crew, headed by Herb Nab, ran to where Junior was stopped, serviced the car, and pushed the car until it restarted.

Ruling on Moore's protest and upholding Johnson's victory, NASCAR issued the statement that, in part, said: "Johnson did not violate the pit rule because the pit area below him was not being used". That ruling was made TWO days after the race ended. In a weird sort of way, that was somewhat of a redemption for Junior who had been flagged the winner of the 1962 Southern 500 only to lose after a scoring recheck showed Larry Frank had won the race. Junior maintains that IF he had known Frank was leading, he could have run him down and passed to win that race three years earlier.

Top five finishers were:

1. Junior Johnson, Johnson Ford, winning $10,490

2. Darel Dieringer, Bud Moore Mercury, winning $6,155.00

3. Ned Jarrett, Bondy Long Ford, winning $4,460.00

4. Dick Hutcherson, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $2,925.00

5. Bobby Johns, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $1,100.00

Sixth through tenth were Buddy Baker, Sam McQuagg, Tiny Lund, G.C. Spencer and Buck Baker. Marvin Panch was 11th, Neil Castles 13th, Wendell Scott 15th, Jim Paschal 16th, Jimmy Helms 18th, Bunkie Blackburn 22nd, J.T. Putney 23rd, Cale Yarborough 24th, Fred Lorenzen 25th, Tom Pistone 26th, Larry Frank 27th, and Roy Tyner 28th. Thirty cars had started the event.

As always, my sincere thanks to Greg Fielden and his "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing" for providing information to allow me to present these "History Minutes". The folks who appreciate the history of this sport are indebted to the extensive efforts by Greg to present the history heprepared.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Tim. 1965 was a really tough year for us anybody but Ford fans to take.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

From Spartanburg Herald Journal

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Race program

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Victory lane (from Richard Guido photos)

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
11 years ago
360 posts

Thanks, Tim and Chase.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Pace lap with Junior Johnson and Dick Hutcherson on the 2nd row, Ned Jarrett & Darel Dieringer on the 3rd row, and Earl Balmer & Larry Frank on the 3rd row.

Bub Strickler's flip and slide - with Chris Economaki's cool delivery

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Poor Bub Strickler of Timberville, Va. made 20 career GN starts and was involved in a yellow flag in most of them. At Rockingham's 1966 Peach Blossom 500, Bub had already caused several cautions due to spins and had been warned by NASCAR that he'd be parked if he caused another yellow. They need not have worried. The late Mr. Strickler's final yellow that day crashed him out of the race on his own.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

A Darlington Stripe - aka Bump

--