Racestoppers

Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

I know where a couple of the girls live, but I'm out of touch with the rest. I would love to talk to Sharon Brown. Remember she was Miss Louisiana and Miss USA prior to being selected to be a Union Oil (Unical) Racestopper. Cherly Johnson, Sharon Maitland, Ann Romeo.Where are they? Valli lives in Florida. It was just the two of us for several years. After I left in 1983, Bill hired a couple of new girls. It was a wonderful 16 years!

Love,

Doshia

updated by @doshia-wall: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
11 years ago
88 posts

They didn't look anything like this did they>>>>

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
11 years ago
88 posts

Another shot form my black and white:

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
11 years ago
88 posts

I'll look for some more when I have time.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Found this 2010 story about Bill Brodrick's tavern in Algonquin, Illinois:

NASCAR Legend Hangs His Hat in Algonquin

NASCAR
August 31, 2010
By: Robin Zimmerman
Examiner.com

Places & Faces newsletter

With its Victorian homes, quaint Main Street and sweeping views of the Fox River, its easy to see why the town of Algonquin once served as a leisurely getaway for vacationing Chicagoans. But, one ride down the retail overload on Randall Road offers concrete evidence of Algonquins newly acquired fast track status.

Its also interesting to note that Algonquins boom era coincided with the arrival of NASCAR legend, Bill Hat Man Brodrick who took up ownership at the Tavern at the Bridge in 1997 after being shown the door following years of being one of the most recognizable figures on the racing circuit beginning in the late sixties.

Back in the day, Brodrick was hard to miss thanks to his imposing frame, mane of orange red hair and the mere fact that he was always in the winners circle doling out different sponsor hats to the victor at a steady pace. Add to that, a few stunners known as the Unocal Race Stoppers constantly surrounded Brodrick and its easy to see why the Hat Man was a top ambassador for NASCAR.

Brodricks rise to prominence coincided with his position as the public relations guru for Unocal 76 and hes generally credited with organizing the procedures and protocol in victory lane. As photographers clamored for a shot and well wishers hovered around, the burly Brodrick began taking charge by plopping on a sponsor hat, letting the winner pose for a picture, putting another hat on the victors head and so on. Long before the age of Google searches, casual observers and hard-core fans alike were constantly asking for more information on the Hat Man.

But, in a scenario that is become even more prevalent today, Brodricks nearly 29 years of service and high visibility didnt count for much when Unocal was bought out in 1997 and the Hat Mans run was over.

Today, the Hat Man can frequently be found at the Tavern at the Bridge and if you head in there on a Sunday, there will most likely be a race on. But, Brodrick readily concedes that the golden age of NASCAR is over now as it is more of a business and not a hobby for the guys. However, if you check out You Tube, you can find him waxing poetic over racings golden age with stories of everything from Richard Pettys ready smile to the senior Dale Earnhardts love of the bubbly in the winners circle.

After Unocal ran out of gas and Brodrick was relieved of his duties, theres no doubt that he could have landed another gig on the racing circuit. But, its also apparent that geography was working against him, Like many others, this Cincinnati natives Midwestern roots ran deep and he found that most other forms of car racing were stock cars centered in the south or drag racing taking place in California or Texas. Since his son hung out at the Tavern on the Bridge and was familiar with the Fox River watering hole, Brodrick was persuaded to take on the challenge of running a bar. So, he eventually to put 34 years of racing experience to good use and opened a tavern.

And the Tavern at the Bridge certainly is the quintessential river front bar thats overflowing with memorabilia from Brodricks racing days. In addition to the photos, bumper stickers and other souvenirs, the friendly staff serves up cold brews, spicy Bloody Marys and other libations. Located at 101 E. Algonquin Road, (Rte 62) the Tavern at the Bridge offers some old time charm in the boomtown of Algonquin as well as the chance to tip your cap to the Hat Man Bill Brodrick.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

Doshia,

Welcome...and thanks for posting. Hope it helps to round up the Racestoppers.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Our RR member, Steve Cavanah has an early Race Stoppers victory lane photo posted from the 1969 Nashville 400 on his Nashville Speedway History site

http://www.pbase.com/bigcav/nashville_fairgroungs_speedway_historycom

--
Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

Thank you. I am so happy I found this Website. This is great!

Doshia

Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

Bill was the best boss I ever had. He sure kept a tight ship. How in the world do they run Victory Lane without him? Thank you for posting this. I'm sure he'll see it on here.

Doshia

Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

That's Cheryl Johnson and Ann Romeo. I was hired in 1969 and I think my first race was Talladega. It was their first race. I remember they didn't even have glass installed yet in the Press Box. It was never just a job for me. I genuinely loved watching the races, meeting the fans, drivers, the photographers, the press and going to all the functions. Being in Victory Lanes in front of thousands of fans and photographers, ESPN, Wide World of Sports, etc, etc was amazing. It was so exciting when the winner pulled into Victory Lane. Great memories!

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

Glad you found this sight. I remember you well. We were told in those days to keep an honorable distance of all of the race stoppers and the Miss Winstons. We were constantly told we could not associate with the competitors also, however we would find our selves at the same resturants and bars at times good to see you here. Hope you are well.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

How about a Racestoppers Reunion on our Tuesday night show? Can we make that happen?

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

With cameras?

--
Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

I loved seeing these pictures.

Thank you,

Doshia

doshiam@msn.com

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

How well I remember the Racestoppers and what wonderful ladies they were. Doshia, it is great to have you here on RacersReunion and I hope you'l be really active on the site. You have personal knowledge of a lot of history here and I hope you will share with us.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Doshia Wall
@doshia-wall
11 years ago
7 posts

Thank you. Yes, I have 16 years of wonderful memories.