At some point enough is too much

w g gruner
@w-g-gruner
11 years ago
11 posts

I fully realize that my chosen topic has been beaten to death but, I just need to say this.

To set the tone, I find no enjoyment in either of the Waltrip brothers being a part of any announce team, none! DW has gotten so biased that even FOX and NASCAR should be tiring of it. I was flat out stupefied last night when RS took Danica out and she in turn took out Brad and what does DW say? Oh his front wheel locked up and took him into the wall! WHAT? That was one of the dumbest, most biased, statements to dribble out of his mouth yet. I guess he's made it his personal rule to say absolutely nothing that would detract from Danica being the NASCAR superstar he believes she is. Stupidly he never corrected his intentional gaff even after several reruns of the incident. Oddly enough Danica was silent on the radio instead of blasting her bf as she has so many others. Then there was Brad being a stand up guy taking blame when it wasn't on him.

That was just one of the off base remarks by this expert annalist. His continuous remarks on how he knows what every driver is thinking, his long list of "my buddies", his I drove it this way that guy isn't doing it right, I wouldn't do it that way, forcing our attention on the top three positions, sometimes letting us know that there actually may be a third and fourth place has gotten really old. The constant talking down to us as if we know nothing about the tracks, about the cars, has put me near my breaking point. I've been in and around this sport for about 50 years and can no longer get out to a race so all I've got is the TV. It's pathetic that FOX can only find DW and Mikey, Chris Meyers, John Roberts, to call a race. There are so many available experts to better the broadcasts. Why aren't they being utilized? I've stopped watching the truck races which are really my preference of the three series just because of Mikey's over talking everyone else and his screeching voice. I think it's plain to see that the combination currently in the booth has affected Mike Joy's work. It's past time for the broadcasts to update the announce teams especially when you have available people like Ricky Craven, Ray Evernham, DJ, and others that have proven themselves. Why was Buddy Baker never made a part of a broadcast team? I never have figured that one out.

DW, Mikey, Roberts, Meyers, Brad D., Rusty, Rutlege, bring nothing to the shows for the serious fans. Falling ticket sales are due to less than stellar races and the gigantic costs involved in attending. Fallen TV ratings are a product of the broadcast and are simple to fix.

After 50 years I'm just about on the edge of giving up. The one good thing I can say about FOX is that they are using Hammond correctly, putting him where there is so much noise that he can't be heard.

updated by @w-g-gruner: 01/06/17 10:58:32PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The one comment that got me was when DW most assuredly put words in Kevin Harvick's mouth. He claimed that Harvick said he wanted to leave RCR better than when he got there. WHAT?? I guess Darrell forgot about "his ol' bud" Dale Earnhardt Sr. I'd say RCR was in great shape at the time of Dale's untimely death. Harvick had big shoes to fill to be certain. But to suggest RCR was slipping as Harvick strapped into the 29 is preposterous.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I have been mightily impressed with Ricky Craven since he phoned me at the Richmond track from Maine in Winter 1990 to arrange for a group from his sponsor SpeeDee Oil Change to attend our February 1991 Busch Series event. He was so articulate and well prepared... the most of any driver I have ever conversed with. He was determined to make his sponsors' experience as perfect as possible on his first visit to our track.

I would love to see more of Ricky in the broadcast booth. He is good.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Mr. Gruner, you are so correct in all you have said. I have banged the drum for at least three years to have D.W. replaced and all that got me was the addition of Mikey to the FOX team. While I find D.W. overbearing and condesending, I find Mikey totally disgusting and unacceptable. I have, since the Daytona 500, started listening to the radio broadcast while watching a muted television. Still, even having to look at the Waltrips is a "downer". Those two may belong on television but it is not as race announcers/analysists or whatever FOX chooses to call them. I have no real problems with Roberts or Meyers, and not even Rusty although his diction is not comprehensible at times. As for Rutlege and Brad D., I will offer no comment. Disgusting is disgusting however you want to promote it. FOX is missing out on great opportunities with Ricky Craven, Dale Jarrett, and Krista Voda just to name three. There is so much talent out there but FOX seems so Waltriprized they can't see past the glitter of the Championship ring D.W. is always flashing in their faces.

TMC Chase, that is not the first time D.W. has "put words" in a driver's mouth, a crew chief's mouth, or even NASCAR's mouth. But, I am assuming, when you have illusioins of God-Hood as D.W. has, he can speak and all will listen. I guess we need to stand by to have "Boogity-Boogity-Boogity" engraved on stone tablets. I still maintain a "Waltrip Free Zone" in my house by tuning in the radio broadcast and muting the television. Still, though, I have to see those Waltrip faces from time to time and that is disgusting.

Dave, I agree Ricky Craven is a class act. He is also a class commentator. To have him on the sidelines with his talent while shoving the Waltrip brothers on us shows that FOX is classless. No small wonder their cable broke Sunday night. I guess the rest of the crew are as inept as those who hired the Waltrips.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

w g gruner
@w-g-gruner
11 years ago
11 posts

Tim, I'm shocked and amazed, someone that seemingly finds the Waltrip brothers more disruptive than I do. By the way, I thought it was my griping that got Mikey added to the toxic mix! :) walt

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

For those of us who had the sound on during the 600 telecast, we had the extreme good fortune for FOX to lose the audio from Mikey during his stupid pre-race pit stroll!

--
Max Plummer
@max-plummer
11 years ago
89 posts

I saw about as many blue seats as i did occupied....White washing is needed more then just the TV booth...

Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
11 years ago
219 posts

We were lucky enoug to have DW& Mike Joy at Bowman Gray on Saturday night. We got an early dose of the Boogity, Boogity deal. Had to put my fingers inmy ears. Still couldn'tshut it out.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Heard him say it was on his bucket list. Too bad the bucket didn't fall over his head!

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Walt, you should not be shocked. Any one of reasonable intelligence would immediately recognize the ineptness of the Waltrip duo. Just think of all the commercials on FOX I am NOT hearing, and all the tripe coming out of the mouths of idiots to which I am not subjected by listening to the radio broadcasts. I knew, by listening to radio, long before, if ever it was made known on FOX, that the Danica wreck was cause by HER boyfriend. Did you know that fact has been trending on Yahoo Home Page, NOT sports page, in the top six all day. They are having a riot with that. Guess they would all fall into the category of "haters". lol

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

You mean I missed it!!!!!! Well, I'm glad I did even if it was by listening to the radio instead of knowing FOX lost audio. Seems like FOX was having problems yesterday. Well deserved problems I might add. If they choose to subject fans to the Waltrip duo, they deserve whatever they get. I am sorry 10 fans and some racers had to suffer.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

You noticed that too, huh, Max? Funny, I never heard them mention a crowd estimate on the radio. Don't know if FOX did or not but whatever FOX would have to say in that regard I would totally overlook.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Randy!!!!!! You mean you had D.W. there and didn't let me know????? That could have been our "face off" before the entire crowd. But, thank you for thinking of me and the repulsive reaction I have to the "Boogity". You may have saved my life.

--

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Tim Leeming's preference for DW - Noogity, noogity, noogity!

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Chase, you ARE the MAN!!! I love that. Wonder if I could get it on my Facebook page?

--

Christopher Krul
@christopher-krul
11 years ago
119 posts

The one remark that annoyed me that DW said was, "Oh Danica was running well all night" REALLY?? Running a lap down in the back all night is running well? I am sick and tired of him constantly standing up for Danica and Kyle Busch. Not to mention he seems to be a cheer leader for the Toyota cars. Yes, it is wrong we got Mickey in the booth too, how can a team owner be calling a race? That is a big time conflict of interest.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Sarah Palin pretty well summed up the feelings of many over the Waltrip brothers antics in the broadcast booth with her tweet following the Las Vegas March race:

Hey Waltrip, final lap & you still don't have your facts right. Get some "strategery" and check your facts before you shoot off your mouth.

--
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I heard him mention that "Bucket List" item as well, Dave. I immediately wondered if he had stolen that ... from Jeff. Could DW possibly be secretly listening....to Thee Rodeo? THAT would not surprise me at all...but don't be stealing Bossman's words...LOL!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts
In all fairness, I was surprised DW had never been to Bowman Gray. Figured he might have raced in an RC Alexander late model in early 70s or raced for show money in his Gatorade / DiGard days.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Speaking of RC Alexander, Chase... it was the RC Alexander #84 Ford Joe Carver brought to Langley Field Speedway in Hampton, Virginia for DW to drive in the 3-car match race with Ray Hendrick and Sonny Hutchins in 1974. I have never once heard DW discuss the outcome of that match race!

A Crowd-pleasing Race To Remember
January 30, 2000

By AL PEARCE Daily Press

Many local race fans still fondly recall the Saturday night in July of 1974 when Langley Speedway promoter Joe Carver posted $1,000 for a winner-take- all match race featuring local favorites Sonny Hutchins and Ray Hendrick against soon-to-be Winston Cup star Darrell Waltrip.

Oh, what a night!

Hutchins and Hendrick were enormously popular short-track legends. They were familiar faces at Langley, where they had raced their Modified and Late Model Sportsman cars during the 1950s, 1960s and into the 1970s.

Hendrick drove the No. 11 Chevrolet owned and prepared by Clayton Mitchell and Jack Tant. Hutchins drove the No. 01 Chevrolet owned by Emanuel Zervakis. Waltrip brought his No. 84 Ford owned by R.C. Alexander and sponsored by Harpeth Ford in their hometown of Owensboro, Ky.

The race was the first of what would be several Langley Speedway appearances by Waltrip. He flew in from Tennessee as a special favor to Carver, with whom he'd established a strong professional relationship during the late 1960s and early 1970s at Nashville Speedway.

Carver displayed the $1,000 in a briefcase handcuffed to a security guard's wrist. The 15-lap race featured a rolling start after each driver drew for his starting position.

Hendrick drew the pole and Hutchins drew the outside of Row 1. The fact that Waltrip was relegated to the second row was just fine with the huge crowd that was definitely pro- Hendrick/Hutchins.

It was over almost as quickly as it started. Hendrick took the lead into Turn 1 and gently pulled away from Hutchins. Waltrip fell back on the start and slowed on the 10th lap, his engine cooked by a broken timing chain on the start.

Hendrick won easily and proudly took possession of his $1,000 payoff. Months later, word circulated that Hendrick, Hutchins and Waltrip had decided ahead of time to split the money evenly regardless of who won.

"Maybe Ray and Darrell split it 50/50,'' Hutchins said when told what people were saying. "I sure didn't get my cut. Maybe I'd better drop by Ray's place and see what's up.''

--
Wally Bell
@wally-bell
11 years ago
83 posts

hmmmmm

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

DW just couldn't "Get No Respect" from Richmond's Ray Hendrick. This incident between Ray & DW also occurred in 1974 when DW in that same #84 RC Alexander Ford tried to pass Ray in the Tant/Mitchell "Flyin #11" at Nashville in the Permatex 200! I don't recall hearing DW talk about this one either. Matter of fact, DW also came to Southside Speedway in Richmond several times and each time got his lunch handed to him. But, he never talks about it. The last party ever given for Ray before he died of cancer in 1990 was staged by his biggest rival, Sonny Hutchins. Of great note to me is the attendance of Richard Petty at that event. Tells me a great deal about both Ray and Richard.

Photographer unknown as posted on Nashville Fairgrounds Remembered @ Comcast.net.

--
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
11 years ago
219 posts

He probablysneaked in under the fence when the cops head was turned. Really enjoyed talking to Mike Joy.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

LOL did Sarah Palin realy say that if so that is so Cool

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Yes, she really did say that... about Mikey and his comments at las Vegas

--
w g gruner
@w-g-gruner
11 years ago
11 posts

Seems like I remember a race at the old Richmond fairgrounds track when Buddy Baker had run his mouth about Sonny, something like he wasn't good enough to run with the big boy's, smiling yet Dave? Yup, it didn't take too many laps before Buddy for some reason found the wall. IF I'm correct Buddy did offer some kind of retraction later on. I can't remember if they included the sportsman cars in that race or if Emanuel had his GN car there.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Both DW & Dale called Sonny the dirtiest driver they ever raced, lol, and Jimmy Spencer said he taught him all of his moves! Sonny spun Dale back to back LMS races at Richmond and Martinsville! You knew when Sonny was around you'd get a good story and a good laugh.

--
w g gruner
@w-g-gruner
11 years ago
11 posts

Tell ya what, the Southside guy's were hard core. Had more than one drink leaning on Sonny's place on Broad street, forgotten the name now, but the tales and laughs, not!

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

I TOTALLY agree with you.....Leon!!! LOL

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I very occassionally went to The Attache on West Broad near Libbie, almost across from Bill's BBQ. Sonny's brother, Piggy held court there and even had a big punching bag downstairs and the after hours place upstairs.

When Piggy died in 2006, Style Weekly did a piece that included the names of many of the famous Richmond bars operated by Sonny:

Remembrance: Carl Woodrow "Piggy" Hutchins
1924-2006

As a champion boxer, Hutchins taught young fellas to fight. As a wry club owner, he coaxed couples to dance. And as a beloved "daddy," he showed his blithe daughters how to stand on their own two feet.

Hutchins grew up in Richmond in the post-Depression era, when almost everybody was poor. Fighting with gloves was free. It's how Hutchins made a name for himself as the "most popular boxer" in a 1940 Golden Gloves tourney in Richmond, a win that was followed by a 32-bout winning streak. But coming of age for a good ol' boy meant the marriage of dropping out and signing up. Hutchins joined the U.S. Navy, but he kept on boxing.

He returned to Richmond with wins under his belt and a new kind of confidence. He fancied life as a prizefighter. His class: flyweight. In 1946, he took his chances, training hard in New York City with Chris Dundee, a big-time fight promoter. A broken hand brought Hutchins home. His career of pro and amateur fights boasted 79 wins and just five losses.

"You never get the whole package," Hutchins was fond of saying, as if shrugging off regret, good-humoredly, were the only way to truly live. When he could no longer fight, he began teaching local boys, opening the West End Athletic Club at Second and Broad streets.

Out of the ring, he was anything but regular. He got a hair transplant to mask his baldness, then took great joy in shocking people when it turned out horribly. He played pranks on the unwitting. He had an imaginary friend, Links McFadden, whom he jokingly invoked until his death.

Spanning five decades, Hutchins and his brothers owned and ran some of the most legendary restaurants and clubs in town. First, there was Piggy's at Mulberry and Cary streets. Then there were ventures with his brother Ernest Lloyd "Sonny" Hutchins, a former race-car driver. They included Dino's, The Tiki and The Hut. Most famous, perhaps, and most recent was Piggy's Attache, a restaurant and after-hours club on West Broad Street near Libbie, where Hutchins relished greeting customers in his barbershop-style chair. Piggy's, which started as a tavern in 1968, remained in business until 2002.

"He was just a hell of a boxer and a hell of a guy," says John "Siggy" Chapman, 68. Hutchins taught Chapman how to fight. Throughout his life, people of all sorts gravitated to Hutchins, Chapman says.

Hutchins is survived by his wife, Lottie Loftis Hutchins, and his daughters, Vicki Turner and Toni McCracken, a senior account representative at Style.

Grown men cried at his funeral last week. Friend Hazel Childress smiled. Childress, 80, remembers their last kiss. It was a few weeks ago at the nursing home where she had visited Hutchins twice a week since he'd been ill, she says. Leaving, she bent to kiss him on the cheek, but he stopped her. Childress recalls: "He told me, 'Kiss me on the mouth because I'm telling you goodbye.'"

--
William H Johnson
@william-h-johnson
11 years ago
2 posts

Why you are giving up?One should be strong and face every problem of there life.

auto repair pompano beach