A STEP BACK IN TIME WITH --SOUTHERN NITES--

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

How we ended up loving Racing the way we do

Back in the,heck I dont know how long ago it was but it was a long time ago,maybe in 1950 but I can remember playing out by the shop where dad kept his car in. On the side there was an old car,what kind I cant remember but it was something dad wanted for parts,but it was my race car. I drove many a race in that car because it did have a seat in it so it was right down my alley. I was even woke up a time or two after dreaming a little to long and falling asleep by mom.
Every once in a while I would break out of car racing and grab my trusty trike I had stored out there and run a few races with it. I had the back tires notched so when I threw it into a corner it wold really throw dirt . Man I loved that trike,especially when the neighbor hood guys would come around, thats when we would really get down to racing,Sand lot kids style. We wouldn't go far I remember because there were boundary's applied to each of us and if they were broken it was more than boundary's that were worn on your rear. We would race down the road and through the ditch and over to the next yard where the winner was always declared.
Only thing that broke our routine up was when dad would open the shop and work on his car or roll it out for someone else to pull theirs in for whatever reason. Thats when we kids got to wash it and wash it we did. We rubbed it from that bolt that stuck out on the front bumper to the bend in the rear bumper that always seemed to have dirt stuck in it from the week before. The special treat was the ones that got selected to get inside and clean,just think you were setting in a real live race car.yup it had one seat and a can behind the driver we were told not to mess with,after looking at photos of dads old cars it was his gas tank. Also there was a battery there and if you happened to rub up against it while in there next week that spot would be ragged in your jeans.
On Fridays it was special treat time because it was fired up and took out on the short road we lived on to test and tune ,I guess that was what they were doing because it would fly down the road then stop and everyone would try to get onto the motor, they seemed to touch something or turn something. a\After that the other car that was always there would get the same treatment. But for some reason it always seemed like dads car was louder so maybe louder is faster.
After the loading of stuff up the cars were hooked to the back of dads pickups and everyone piled in for the trip to the track. The two cars went together to the track and always parked side beside too. I remember mom telling us kids that if we strayed out of this little compound we were in deep trouble. I didnt care because I could see better from the top of dads truck anyway. You know come to think of it he had the shiniest truck top there thanks to my bottom side.
It was always dusty at the track and on the way home was also a special treat,the river was only a mile or two from the track and we all bailed off into that shallow spot for some good old time river fun and a little washing to go along with it also.
Then the next stop most times were at a local ice cream parlor where they made the best Hot Dogs you ever ate,I can still taste those giant wieners stuffed into a bun with mustard and onions and always a slice of pickle on the side,yum yum. If things went good at the track,as most often they did,we got a special drink. a big ole Nugrape soft drink,man that grape drink was out of this world.
Back at the house everyone helped unload the truck and race car because it was a major player in our lifestyle. Afterwards mom and dad would go out under the shade trees and set in the swings or lay in the hammock while I hurried and reran the race at least 4 times in my car out by the shop.
To grow up in a racing family was a gift from God that todays kids can only dream of. They go and have to stay out of the infield or worse set in the stands and never get to experience the true love of racing . Oh and the side trips that only "Dirt Track Racing" can offer. Just think of going swimming after the race in the local creek or river down by the road. Never would that happen today or stopping at the ice cream or hot dog shop for a big old juicy Hot Dog piled with onions and mustard and that awesome pickle,Im talking of something that happened 55 years ago and can still taste that today.No air conditioning but the thrill of hanging your hand out the window and feeling the wind. Todays kids set in that seat with widows rolled up tight with a hand held game stuck in their face. Us older racing kids led a life that others today can only dream about after they read it in a story or a senior citizen tells of their experience back in the day. .
Today I have my grand kids around me because my 2 kids live on each side of the house so when the car cranks up in the shop out back I have all the help I need and then some to get ready to go racing. Only one of the boys show a real interest in racing but thats alright there are about five others on the street here thats in love with the old car so students I have. Its harder at the track too because of restrictions but we try to park where if they have to stay in the infield we are up against the fence for them.
Going to a race track today you will see a change in the wind. If you try Nascar it will break you unless you are kin to a millionaire. Your local short track,or at least the ones around home here are trying to survive this drought in the economy without raising prices out of site. The way of the dollar today has sure changed from when I grew up, Dad and mom could take a dollar and make it into $14.92 it seemed like, and oh yeah my dad was a heck of a man,he just couldnt carry groceries like I can. You see I can carry over $100.00 into the house at one time where as I remember him struggling to carry $15.00 worth of groceries in in about three trips.
Another of my recollections of the way it was back when Racing was Real, if you were born post war you can recollect this.
Try going inside after a day out playing and being able to stand in front of a window fan catching the breeze. No AC or the other luxury s of today. But one thing we did have was a tight family bond,something that is hard to find in todays lifestyle---- unless you go to a local dirt short track where everyone in the family helps get the car to the track .
Ask almost any of the seasoned members here and most always their dad were or still is involved in racing along with the family.
If you lived this life and this struck a nerve making something from your past get in your head why dont you post it here---- Now ------------------------------------------memories

updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/16/16 07:54:33AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Love your stories, Johnny. We had a couple of window fans back in the 50s, but the really big deal was a whole house fan my dad had constructed at the cigarette factory. The blades had been turned in the cigarette factory machine shop from scrap aluminum "making trays" and the old washing machine motor that powered it dad got at a Richmond salvage yard and rewound. Dad had it wired so we could flip a switch downstairs and that baby would crank and pull air through every window in the house! We thought we were big time!

We had no money, but I thought my Dad could do anything. He built his own woodworking tools from scrap parts... jig saw, band saw, drill press, joiner/planer, table saw, etc. The local paper even did a Sunday story in 1954 about the tools he built from junk. I was just as proud of Dad as if he were a millionaire! Dad passed in 2001, but the cedar chest at the foot of our bed in our master bedroom contains several yellowed copies of the newspaper story with a photo of Dad showing me some bookends he'd made with his homemade tools.

You are so right about the family bonds back then, Johnny.

And I haven't heard it called a "Trike" in years. That's what I called mine, too!

That's me below in 1950 with my trike.

Thanks, Johnny, for the wonderful memories.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
11 years ago
222 posts

thanks for sharing this johnny i really enjoyed this post i remember not having ac but we had those old fans and in the winter we had blankets on our beds that were so heavy you could hardly roll over in bed

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Johnny, this is one of the best trips we've taken down that memory lane of yours! I hung on every word and so much of what you talked about was so much of my life too. My Uncle Bobby was the one who had the car as well as the car "for parts" that I hung out in. What a memory that brought back for me.

Dave, I love those pictures you added. I had a trike like that, a cap like that and a jacket like that. Funny how parallel all our lives were to an extent. I must say, Dave, you are easily recognizable in those childhood pictures. You have aged well, my friend.

Johnny, keep 'em coming. You are awesome.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Wow Johnny! Add 10 years to the date and I could have written most of this myself. Things did not change as fast then as they do now. My only experience with a tricycle was on my cousin's, and it was a bad one, but I did have a Western Auto wagon that I painted blue and put a #4 on the side.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

Look folks a dirt road imagine that now days. Not many left.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Mike, I remember the day a year or two later that a City of Richmond crew "tar & graveled" our street. When Mom & Dad were getting up there in age in the 1990s, the city added real concrete curbs, though we always had a sidewalk. Some kind of cold asphalt pavement replaced the tar and gravel. Mom & Dad moved in the "new" house in September 1948, a month before I was born in October 1948. The downpayment was made with poker earnings Dad sent home to Mom from the South Pacific in WWII, specifically from Guadalcanal where Dad spent three years. Dad passed in 2001 and Mom in 2002. In July 2002, my sister and I sold the house to the older daughter of UNOCAL's Dick Dolan. Small world! By the way, Mom & Dad's monthly house payment on their 20 year mortgage was $60/month.

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Johnny, me and my two cousins would make "modifieds" out in their back yard. The most important part was imagination, as the "cars" were usually made from four cinder blocks (one for each wheel) with scrap lumber for the frame, a paste-board box was the hood/engine and each cars roll bars were fashioned from scraps of 12-2 electrical wire..(my uncle was an electrician and had lots of scrap wire lying around and we were racing in his back yard.........) Our modifieds never moved an inch, those cinder blocks never rolled to good.....but we'd "race" in them for hours..........I was always Earl Moss, racing a chevy coupe at RAMBI Raceway! Back in the day, imagination was in great supply, and wasn't it fun! Good times!

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

After a year or two, we graduated from imaginary race cars with cinder-block wheels to real ones........fabricated with 2 X 4's and roofing tin, and powered by the neighborhood kids pushing like crazy. Mine was the coupe.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

how about that 57 in the background, was it ever used? you know like imaginary?

you know didnt i write a story about a group of kids building downhill racers ??? and how they grew up and found an old car behind a garage? and didnt those boys go racing? you remember that Bobby?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Priceless photos, Bopper. Thanks so much for posting. I see a clothes line, also. Today's kids probably never heard of one. We had duel parallel lines in our backyard. Dad strung them and made the clothesline props, too. I loved taking those clothesline prop poles and seeing how high in the air I could make the clothes Mom had hung out go!

Between Johnny's imagination and yours, a lot of laps were completed out in the yard!

--