Racing History Minute - July 25, 1965

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Those of us who were fans of NASCAR in 1965, if we were MOPAR fans, were very angry that NASCAR had outlawed our Hemi Engines which resulted in folks like Richard Petty and David Pearson, along with the rest of the Chrysler Corporation factory drivers sitting on the sidelines or off racing other circuits. Ford fans were ecstatic because they beloved blue ovals had no competition in NASCAR's Grand National division. General Motors fans didn't care either way as there just weren't any competitve GM teams at the time. But, in July, 1965, suffering from the MOPAR fan's absence from the track, which equated to absence of dollars in NASCAR's piggy bank, Big Bill lifted the Hemi ban just before the Firecracker 400. The caveat was that any track longer than a mile would require the Chrysler teams to use the big Plymouth Furys and Dodge Polaras which Chrysler refused to do. However, the Hemi MOPARS with the Belvedere and Coronet bodies were allowed to race on tracks one mile or less. Thus it was that the Volunteer 500 at Bristol International Speedway, a half-mile paved track, would welcome the return of Richard Petty and David Pearson and the rest of the Chrysler drivers.

Thirty-six cars were entered in the event but only five were Chrysler products. Twenty-six starters were either Fords or Mercurys. The FoMoCo teams were ready while the Chrysler teams were there with a little more than two week's notice from NASCAR that they could return. The return of the Chrysler drivers brought out more than 27,000 fans on a day that promised inclement weather and delivered on that promise.

Fred Lorenzen put his Holman-Moody Ford on the pole with Richard Petty qualifying his one year old Plymouth on the outside front row. Junior Johnson, Ford, was third fastest, Cale Yarborough, Ford, in fourth to start. Marvin Panch would start the Wood Brothers Ford in fifth.

Junior Johnson managed to grab the lead on the green flag and would lead the first 81 laps before yeilding to Ned Jarrett. Jarrett led four circuits before Darel Dieringer took over. Darel led until lap 133 and then it was Johnson back out front. On lap 156, Dieringer would take over the front spot again and stay there until lap 309. Jarrett took over on lap 310 but gave up the lead to Dieringer again on lap 346. On lap 401,it was Jarrett back out front and he would stay there until the end of the 500 laps.

Now that we have the lap leaders listed, let's go back and talk about the EIGHT caution flags and FOUR red flags, for wrecks and rain. The threatening weather delivered rain four different times which resulted in red flags and the race took more than six hours to complete although NASCAR counted only the time on the track, either under green or the 167 caution laps, and did not include the time parked for red flags, which is customary for timing purposes.

Interesting information from the race, at least in my opinion, is the incident between Marvin Panch and David Pearson which resulted in Pearson's encounter with Glen Wood on pit road. Pearson started his Cotton Owens Dodge in 12th, but by lap 8 he was challenging Panch for fifth place when the two cars got "fused together" resulting in both crashing, thus ending their day. As Pearson walked from his wrecked car back to the pits, Glen Wood confronted Pearson in a very antimated "discussion" which resulted in Wood throwing a punch at Pearson. As Pearson drew back his arm to deliver a "haymaker" to Wood, someone grabbed his arm and ended the confrontation. Looking back, and knowing what success David and the Wood Brothers would come to enjoy in the 70s, this is almost comical to imagine.

Richard Petty's return to competition was ended when he parked it for differential problems. Tiny Lund had blown an engine which resulted in five cars, including Richard, being involved in a crash sequence. I remember the back of Richard's Plymouth looked as though it had been hit by a missle. That ended his day and he would be credited with 17th position after parking it on lap 338.

Dick Hutcherson was competing with Jarrett for the win until the waning laps when he just couldn't keep up with Jarrett's Bondy Long Ford. Dick would finish some 20 seconds behind in second place. Jarrett said, after the race, that he almost didn't make the finish as the fumes in his car made him so sick on his stomach. But he did make it, and he left Bristol with a 28 point lead over Dick Hutcherson in the race for the Championship. This was Ford's 32nd consecutive victory in race 34 of the 1965 season.

Top five finishers were:

1. Ned Jarrett, Bondy-Long Ford, winning $4,315.00

2. Dick Hutcherson, Holman-Moody Ford, winning $2,275.00

3. Sam McQuagg, Betty Lilly Ford, winning $1,650.00 (Sam was a rookie)

4. Jim Paschal Friedkin Enterprises Chevrolet, winning $1,125.00

5. Buck Baker, Baker Chevrolet, winning $1,025.00

Sixth through tenth were Junior Spencer, Wendell Scott, Donald Tucker, Bob Derrington and J.T. Putney.

Buddy Arrington would finish 12th, Reb Wickersham 15th, PAUL LEWIS 16th, G.C. Spencer 19th and Fred Lorenzen 20th.

Twenty-first went to Neil Castles, Cale Yarborough 22nd, Junior Johnson 23rd, Tiny Lund 24th and Stick Elliott 25th. Jimmy Helms was 29th Buddy Baker 30th and Jabe Thomas 31st. Bobby Allison was 32nd and Elmo Langley33rd.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Tim, that's a great anecdote about the Glen Wood and David Pearson "confrontation."

Here's Associated Press coverage as printed in the Charleston, SC paper. Perhaps Pearson's visit to the hospital for minor injuries was the result of Glen's punch and not the accident?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

In mid June, Chrysler and NASCAR reconciled. The Pettys intimated they may field a car for Richard as early as Daytona's Firecracker 400.

1965061920Plymouth20Return.PNG

As it turns out, Richard didn't run at the beach on July 4th (though Nelson Stacy did in a Maurice Petty serviced Plymouth).

The Pettys and Cotton then chose Bristol to make their return.

It didn't take the King long to settle in again with his GN car despite having run most of the year in dragsters and a USAC stock car event. He promptly put the 43 on the outside of the front row alongside Fast Freddy.

Come race day, King Richard was ready to roll once again - although Lorenzen was considered more as the favorite.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/25/17 10:10:49AM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Good point Dave. I don't know but that is to be considered.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Chase. That is a great addition to this Minute post. There is much more to the story of the Maurice Petty Fury and the article about the possibity of Richard's return in the Firecracker. I was in almost weekly contact with Richard and/or Petty Enterprises folks (I had a confidant there) and from what I was hearing then, I don't think Richard ever seriously considered running the Fury. The Maurice Petty endeavor was a way to try it out without involving Richard.

--

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

When the checkers fell, a Ford was again in victory lane with Ned Jarrett.

And Pearson and Panch came to an understanding about things.

Although Petty didn't win in the first race of his GN return, he didn't have to wait much longer. Six days later, he won in his SECOND race back at Nashville.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/07/july-31-this-day-in-petty-history.html

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/25/17 10:11:49AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

A few interesting (to me) tidbits and questions about this race:

* Both Buck Baker & Buddy Arrington got two cars in the field as owners. Buck had his own and son, Buddy Baker's car, while Arrington had his car and the car of Raymond Carter. Buck's 3rd entry, the #89 driven by Neil Castles failed to make the 36 car field (as did E.J. Trivette.) It was the only DNQ in 1965 for Castles in 52 attempts. He started 51 Grand National races in 1965.

* Our Virginia ABC Board Revenue Agent, Worth McMillion of Amelia Court House, brought his big boat of a Pontiac home in 13th place - last car running. Always made for good copy when the revenue agent finished ahead of the moonshiners.

* Donald Tucker of Greensboro, NC scored a top-10 in ninth position in one of only 9 career NASCAR Grand national starts - all in 1965. Can anyone tell me if this is the same Donald Tucker I watched race in the early 1970s - early 80s at 311 Speedway in Mayodan/Madison, NC, just north of Greensboro?

* Buren Skeen would make just one more GN start for Reid Shaw (at Bowman Gray Stadium) before being fatally injured in the Southern 500.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

John McMillion has several photos from the 1965 Volunteer 500 on RR.

Darel Dieringer

Junior Johnson

Lorenzen's car

Worth McMillion

Jim Paschal

Cale Yarborough in Banjo Matthews car

What looks to be aftermath of Panch-Pearson incident with Pancho's car being hauled away

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/25/17 10:12:37AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Race program cover (source: Motor Racing Programme Covers )

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

As has been noted, Pearson made his return to the Grand National ranks at Bristol. He and Cotton made it official on July 14, 1965.

Source: Spartanburg Herald Journal

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, thanks for posting the 1965 Volunteer 500 photos from Worth McMillion's son, John. They are a great illustrative addition that make Tim's race recap come alive.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Interesting to note on the program cover that the Friday night and Saturday night Bristol shows weren't NASCAR modified or sportsman races on the oval, but NHRA drag racing on the quarter-mile.

Richard Petty gave that drag layout a pretty good run the previous month as reported in the June 4, 1965 Sumter, SC newspaper:

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Drag racing was also going on that weekend in Nashville. The King must surely have been whipped by sundown Sunday night.

Friday day: practice/qualifying Bristol

Friday evening: fly to Nashville for drag racing

Friday night (or Saturday morn): fly to Bristol

Saturday morning: practice Bristol

Saturday afternoon: fly to Nashville for drag racing

Saturday night (or Sunday morn): fly to Bristol

Sunday afternoon: race in Volunteer 500 ... 6+ hours elapsed time

(Source: Charleston's News and Courier )

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I'm tired just reading the clip!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Getting off course a bit I know, but here is Nelson Stacy's Plymouth from the 1965 Firecracker 400. Supposedly owned by Red Vogt. Supposedly built by Petty Enterprises. Entered under the name of Sam Fletcher. Driven by Stacy in his last GN start. Set-up at track by Maurice Petty.

And that Sam Fletcher feller? He fielded another Plymouth - again supposedly built by the Pettys - for a driver making his return later that season vs. making his final start: Curtis Turner in the 65 Southern 500.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/25/17 10:13:34AM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Yes Dave I believe it is the Same Donald Tucker that ran Madison, Caraway and Ace.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

A related post re: King's drag racing effort the same weekend.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/drag-racing-history/41107/nashville-drag-strip-richard-petty-question

--