Seeking Information About Floyd Powell

Roger Jewell
@roger-jewell
14 years ago
7 posts
I'm putting together a local news article/column about the late Floyd Powell, Greenville-Pickens Speedway's first repeat track champion (1960, 61, 62). I know how Mr Powell died in 1963 but what I need are personal insights to the man from people who knew him or saw him race. The late Pete Blackwell, after hearing the news of Powell's death in '63, once said Powell was one of the greats in racing and was comparable to David Pearson when it came to natural talent. Anyone with information can email me at rogerjewell@charter.net and or post replies here.
updated by @roger-jewell: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Harvey Tollison
@harvey-tollison
14 years ago
226 posts
You could best talk with J.B. Day at the Riverside Racing Museum in Greenville
William Ronnie Nodine
@william-ronnie-nodine
14 years ago
8 posts
Hi Roger, Welcome to RACERS REUNION. I read your comments on Floyd Powell late last night. I grew upwatching Floyd race at G/P, Harris Speedways just to name a few. He was also the South Carolina State limitedSportsman Champion in ( 1961-62 ). He also ran in the Grand National ( NASCAR ) in ( 1962-63 ) and he wonthe last race he ran in at Harris Speedway,N.C. the Sunday before his death. I have a good friend who's fatherwas Floyds mechanic. I have talked to him this morning and he will talk to his dad today about you and the infor-mation you need for your acticle. I will E-MAIL you a phone number later for a contact. I have posted a few pict-ures of Floyd here and for all interested ,the last 37 ford that he raced is being restored by Mark Brown. It isrolling and the engine should be in TODAY. Thanks William Ronnie Nodine