August 7, 1955: Lee Petty wins in Winston-Salem

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

August 7, 1955: Starting from the inside of the second row, Lee Petty leads about a third of the 200-lap, 100-mile race on the half-mile dirt track at Forsyth County Fairgrounds near Winston-Salem, NC. Future Petty Enterprises driver, Jim Paschal, finished second in a #78 Oldsmobile. Bob Welborn finished sixth in a Chevrolet fielded by Julian Petty, Lee's brother.

Before NASCAR Grand National races began making annual stops at the more well-known Winston-Salem track - Bowman Gray Stadium - two GN races were promoted at the county fairgrounds track. Both were in 1955, and Lee Petty swept them. The first one was May 29, 1955 when Petty's win on the little-known Carolina bullring was overshadowed by the stunning death of Bill Vukovich at the Indianapolis 500.

The Flock brothers swept the front row - Tim with the pole and Fonty 2nd. Lee qualified 3rd.

Read on for more:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/08/august-7-1955-lees-win-sweeps-winston.html

Finishing Order
1 Lee Petty Petty Enterprises Dodge
2 Jim Paschal Helzafire Oldsmobile
3 Buck Baker Buck Baker Buick
4 Billy Carden Bishop Brothers Buick
5 Eddie Skinner Frank Dodge Oldsmobile
6 Bob Welborn Julian Petty Chevrolet
7 Tim Flock Mercury Outboards Chrysler
8 Bill Bowman Bill Bowman Nash
9 Billy Myers Hubert Westmoreland Chevrolet
10 Chuck Hansen Oldsmobile
11 John Lindsay John Lindsay Chevrolet
12 Blackie Pitt J.M. Fitzgibbons Oldsmobile
13 Gwyn Staley Hubert Westmoreland Chevrolet
14 Gordon Smith Gordon Smith Chevrolet
15 Richard Brownlee Joe Blair Mercury
16 Fonty Flock Mercury Outboards Chrysler
17 Dave Terrell Dave Terrell Oldsmobile
18 Arden Mounts Arden Mounts Hudson
19 Junior Johnson B & L Motors Oldsmobile
20 Ed Cole Ford
21 Herb Thomas Herb Thomas Hudson
22 George Parrish George Parrish Studebaker

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Great post Chase. I see you're up and at 'em earlier than I. Good for you. Now time for me to add another History Minute!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
11 years ago
327 posts

Thanks for the great write-up on the 1955 Grand National races in Winston-Salem!I had dug up the newspaper articles on these awhile back but forgot about them, so it was a pleasure reading up on them again. So far I haven't found any pictures of these races other than a couple of grainy microfilm photos, but I know they're out there.

One correction though - The photo you have on your blog of the track is actually the early Piedmont Park Fairgrounds. That was built in the very early 1900's by the Reynolds family. The track was built for horse racing, but they did have quite a lot of motorcycle racing startingin the 20's andopen wheel big car racingfrom the mid to late 30's, and some negro stock car racing in 1949. That track and fairgrounds was torn downafter 1952. A new fairgrounds was built in 1951 which is still used today call the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds. This was the track used in the 1955 Grand National races. Sadly, this trackwas removed in the early 80's but the grandstands are still there.

Here's a couple of photos of the track, and you're welcome to use them if you'd like -

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Well folks, almost 60 years to the day of Lee Petty's win in Forsyth the name "Dixie Classic Fair" is suddenly offensive. Allegedly.

Live in or around Winston-Salem? Now would be a good time to make your opinion known to the nimrod "leaders" over there.

http://abc11.com/news/nc-official-questions-name-of-dixie-classic-fair/924520/

NC OFFICIAL QUESTIONS NAME OF 'DIXIE CLASSIC FAIR'

Winston-Salem, NC -- Every year, thousands of people flock to the Dixie Classic Fair. Whether it is the rides, the food or the history, it continues to be an annual favorite.

However, according to WGHP, Winston-Salem Councilman James Taylor told FOX8 that some of the people he represents find the "Dixie Classic Fair" name to be "offensive."

Taylor said that some people are "angry" with the name and believes the city should consider changing it. He added that - as a city that is progressive - and is continuing to move forward, they need a name that "everyone can appreciate."

He says his goal is to find a name that doesn't divide the people, but instead one that unites them.

Taylor wanted to stress that he wants "to talk to the people first," and if they don't want to change it they won't change it, saying that he "will do what's best for all the people."

The Dixie Classic Fair name has been in existence since the 1950s. Last year, the city changed the name of the venue to the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds.

Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

The "Politically Correct Classic Fair" sounds pretty lame.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Gregory Hendrix
@robert-gregory-hendrix
9 years ago
83 posts

At last check, the Winston-Salem Journal had 228 comments on their story about the proposed Dixie Classic Fair name change, with almost all of them being against it. The picture of the DC Fairgrounds and race track is great. I sat in the bushes coming off of turn 4 and peered through the fence to see the Jack Kochman "Hell Drivers" there one night, in their new Plymouths. Another year, I saw a motorcycle stunt man named Bob Duffey put on a tremendous show only to have it end with one of his few career crashes, after he had jumped a whole bunch of cars right in front of the grandstand.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
9 years ago
162 posts

Dixie Classic from 1963 - M-S Race