A NASCAR Hall of Fame Kind of Day

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Many thanks to Randy Myers for setting up a RacersReunion gathering at the NASCAR Hall of Fame today. Ten of us attended (a picture is posted here on the page). The ten were Randy Myers, of course, Devin Alexander, Bill Blair, Jr., Dennis Andrews, Dave Fulton, Robin Agner, Leon Phillips, Darren Grigsby, Wayne Wilson and me, Tim Leeming.

We started off meeting with Chocolate Myers in the Sirius Radio Studio there at the Hall and he gave us quite a bit of opinioned information to digest. We then toured the HOF which is a wonderful experience in itself, but the Randy, Bill, Dave, and Dennis to share the racing history first hand, it was exceptional.

After our tour, we gathered in the Buffalo Wild Wings at the Hall and had a great lunch but the best part of that was listening to Dave,Dennis, Bill and Randy as they shared stories of their personal experiences in racing. What an awesome event for those of us listening.

All in all it was an absolutely fantastic day. The only somewhat negative event, and I say this in jest, was when a young man and his son came over to Dave and me to ask if we were "famous"? He had been listening to Dave and I discussing a certain display. Before I could answer, "Yes, I'm The Legend", Dave resoundingly said "no"! He immediately lost his job as MY P.R. man!

It is always great to be with folks as a RacersReunion Group and today just further proved there is nothing like getting a group of race fans together.

I hope the others who went on the trip will post comments here and I hope the next trip, and there will definitely be another trip, will have more of you attending so you can see what we mean about the Hall of Fame.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Thank you Randy Myers for organizing the visit and Tim Leeming for promoting it here on RR. Today was my first full day out of the house since getting sick and I got a little tired but had a GREAT time. Words fail me as how to describe the honor and privilege it is for me to meet fellow RR members. Seeing the HOF was good but being with such fine folks was what made it special. Thanks RR friends for letting me tag along.

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
11 years ago
123 posts

Thanks for the report Tim, I know the first trip that i attended was good,I am looking forward to being there the next time, Glad everybody enjoyed it and Thanks to Randy for helping to organize the outing.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

Had a great time thanks Randy and Tim just being there with these people was good to me we could have been anywhere it was great a lot of bench racing good stuff ready to go again

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

two things you need to get Tim -- first is a digital recorder so you can use those lost comments in proper text -- little things that are said mean a lot later when reliving those meetings of fame -- second is you have got to go on line or at a major meet and hire yourself a good P/R man not a O thank Heaven for Seven/Eleven spokes person ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- he he he !

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
11 years ago
169 posts

I too had a fantastic time visiting with friends from R&R, seeing the exhibits and listening to the stories. Thanks to Randy and Tim for organizing our visit.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Sounds like another great day to add to this incredible journey. It was my day off Thursday and if it hadn't been for prior plans I would have come out to hear the stories, I'm a sucker for a good story.

As for a youngster asking if Tim and Dave were famous...the boy needs to meet real people that have made a positive impact in this world. Any chance any of us get we need to stop, take a moment, and talk to our youth before someone else with less positive influence does.

Famous? Perhaps not in terms of flying to the moon, because IMO opinion, unless you've done something extraordinary, there is no fame. Respected and admired? YES! And that is worth a minute to teach the impressionable young child a thing or two about "respect" and "admiration".

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

A great and oh so true statement Jim. well put.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Maybe we can all chip in and find a suitable PR person for The Legend, Johnny! Wonder if Ruby might be available?!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Been out doing much behind yard work and have to return soon before any late afternoon showers.

I had a wonderful time Thursday meeting fellow RR members and touring the NASCAR Hall of Fame with them. Bill Blair, Jr. is a walking encyclopedia and pointed out things on old 40s/50s era cars that were revelations to all of us.

Many thanks to Randy Myers and Tim Leeming for organizing this outing. The fellowship was outstanding. I saw Devin lurking in the shadows several times with her camera and goodness knows what might show up later!

It was a wonderful get together.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Dave,are you saying you Could be replaced by a Goat?? ---just wondering

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Dave..your response to the young man, could have been..."Yes son, we ALL are!" And, then give him a chance to guess whom you might be. YOU are famous...everyone of you!

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Totally agree, Bill...

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

You got THAT right, Dennis! I will never forget the first time I met you!, nor any others here!

Dennis had driven from Siler City, to Rockingham, to the Lakeview, SC Track that night, and would have to make a reverse trek, after the Race. This was my first race since 1985, so mind you I was already..SO excited! Here comes this big handsome fellow with a Cowboy Hat on, walking towards me.

It became apparent that he was headed straight for me...and he said..LOL! "I drove a long way, and I saw your hair..from way over there, and knew who you were, right off!" Well, I was just grinning...because I get comments about my hair all the time. But, I am trying to figure out who in the world he..is! Then I said...(I think) well, who are you? And, he said...I am Dennis Andrews. Well, I do not get around very well, and my knees are shot! But I couldn't do anything..but hold his hands and jump up and down...LOL! I was SO tickled to see him...All I could do!

I don't know .. if Dennis knows just how special he made me feel. To drive all that way, and have to go back,...and know who I was, by my hair....I get that "Star-Struck", feeling and look everytime...I get to meet one of you!!

PS: Jim Wilmore, still has me a little skiddish about that "lost video" from the 70's..LOL!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Been told worse!!!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

We have to explain a little further, Patsy, that Tim and I spent about twenty minutes talking to the young man and his father, who was a deputy sheriff in Gates County, NC and lived in Elizabeth City. We actually got separated from the group heading to lunch and had to catch up. When all was said and done, Tim had given out a card and issued an invitation for the father and son to check out our RR site.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

be prepared to explain your activities Dave

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

There you go....I didn't think that sounded like my Tim and Dave...Thank you, for explaining that further...Dave. You know, I never did learn how to knit or crochet. My Momma worked in the spinning and winding rooms at the Cotton Mill. But..I do, believe I got "Yarn Spinning" from my Daddy..LOL!! I can usually hang .. with the best of em...I don't "lie", but I sure do love a good "Yarn Spinning" get-together!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Thats called taking a 3 car race and turning it into a feature race that crowds love

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

There you go!!! You KNOW what I am talking about...LOL!!!

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

lol. All good! :)

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Indeed, Dave! :) I'll be going through the footage tonight. There will be a short video posted at some point. I couldn't keep up with you all :) but I got a little of "this and that" on video.

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Okay! Had a slight delay but I'm getting ready to upload video to RR shortly. It's uploading to utube now. It's short: 6 minutes 19 seconds but it'll give you a glimpse into the hall, etc. I didn't get to record much this time but there's a little along with photos. Hope y'all enjoy it.

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Click here or look under the "Videos" Tab at the top of any Stock Car RR page

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/video/racersreunion-nhof-visit

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, "Dangerous" !!!

--
Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

:) Very welcome Dave!

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

Great Great Job Devin

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

As always, Devin, excellent work!!! Thanks for making these memories available for all of us who went and all who will see them.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Devin, that was just awesome!! Thank you...

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

It was a very goodday! Glad you enjoyed it. :)