The 7th Annual Occoneechee Orange Speedway Celebration of the Automobile and Racers Reunion was Awesome

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

The guys in the orange shirts did it again. The turn out of cars and people was great. Over 250 show cars, 44 race cars(that I counted), dozens of racing heroes, perfect fall weather, and lots of fans made this a great weekend for all who attended. But those of you who did not attend will get a feel for the action after all the photos and videos from the event begin being posted here.

Being down on the old track and seeing 43 cars take the green for a 5 lap exhibition in front of a full grand stand was extremely cool! Many short tracks would have been very happy with that turnout for one of their full race events.

Thanks Historic Speedway Group! Y'all are awesome!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Can't wait to see the video and photos!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

That was truly a weekend to remember, although I didn't get to stay over for Sunday's events. Being on the track with the 40 plus race cars going by was so unbelieveably exciting it is hard to put into words. The sounds, the smells,the dust settling on everything. Just like the early days of my racing education.

I did not meet ONE person in a less than totally happy mood. Smiles and sunshine filled that little part of North Carolina. The ladies and gentlemen in those orange shirts are an exceptional group of folks. The accomplishments made from their efforts far exceed so many other endeavors undertaken by groups. I think what makes the difference here is those folks in the orange shirts are truly 100% dedicated to something they love so much. No amount of money can buy the dedication of these folks. The reason stock car racing grew to the proportions it has today is NOT because of sponsor money, but because of the dedication of folks like The Historic Speedway Group.

Can't wait until next year. Time moves quickly at my age, but it can't move quickly enough to get back to Hillsborough.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

You need to come to this event. Next year get your probation officers permission and come. Love to have you here.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

It was truly good to have you here over the weekend although we didn't get to chat much just having you there was great.

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Mike! I have never seen a Probation Officer but I'll give myself permission next year. lol. I plan to do a caravan run with the Legend next year....if he'll let me, or rather if hecan keep up with me! :)

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
11 years ago
214 posts

what a awesome weekend it was.now that was a show

Charlie Roberts
@charlie-roberts
11 years ago
1 posts
Rita and I had a great time again! Great hospitality, weather and friends! We appreciate all the hard work that everyone does for this event. Thanks again
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
11 years ago
53 posts

Glad everyone enjoyed their self. I know I had a great time. Very glad the weather cooperated this year. Couldn't have asked for 3 better days. From what we figured Jeff there was about 60-65 race cars at the show. Also we figured attendance for the show was at it's most, since the first show back in 2007. Thats hard to believe also, we have already have held seven shows. Again thanks to everyone who came out this past weekend.

Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
11 years ago
308 posts

LOL look forward to seeing you there.