Hartsville Speedway

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Racing Thru History last Tuesday night brought a lot of names from the late 60's and early 70's to mind of local drivers that were our Home Town Heroes. I remembered getting this 1969 Carolina Dirt Track Circuit from Sherman Garris and scanning it. Been sharing from it this week.

updated by @dennis-andrews: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

I think that is the same '64 Ford Tommy Bostick bought from Ned Jarrett and starting winning with in 1965.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dennis,you are really in the "zone" this morning. I am enjoying this. Keep it up!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Hartsville had some big names racing there back in the 60's.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts
Perk Perkinson of Hartsville built winning cars for drivers that racedat several tracks in the Carolinas, but his home track was Hartsville Speedway. Rock Raines from Hartsville won the Track Championship driving one of Perkinson's cars at Hartsville Speedway in 1960. Seen here is Perk Perkinson with the Rock Raines #1.
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

You are correct Dennis...This is the one from Jarret...He bought the hauler along with the car...I simply remember this ride as FAST and one of the most beat up race cars around, and I admired it and Tommy Bostick.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Rock Raines had a 2nd and a 3rd at Rockingham Speedway in 1960. Wonder if this is the car he drove there?

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Wasn't it the Hartsville track used as the dirt track for scenes in the movie "Thunder in Carolina"? I'm thinking it was but need minds with better memories to confirm that.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Dennis - My guess would be that it was a Perk Perkinson car that Rock drove at Rockingham in 1960. I think Rock Raines started driving for Perkinson in the mid 50's.

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
11 years ago
162 posts

Tim - Short answer - Yes, scenes for "Thunder In Carolina" were shot at Hartsville Speedway.

Dargan Watts
@dargan-watts
11 years ago
38 posts

My wife kinda likes the writer of this article. Thanks for posting Dennis

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

You wife has good tastes when it comes to Dennis. No further comment! lol

--

Dargan Watts
@dargan-watts
11 years ago
38 posts

The article I was referring to was THE SPORTSMAN.

david strachan
@david-strachan
11 years ago
8 posts

yes it was, and the shop and house scenes where done at a little white bungalo just on the north side of Darlington