Racing History Minute - November 10, 1963

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

The 1964 NASCAR Grand National season, which would see a huge dispute arise between NASCAR, Ford and Chrysler over the use of Chrysler's power Hemi engine, actually stated on this date, 1963, on a half-mile dirt track locted in Concord, NC. The "Textile 250" was 125 miles to be contested between 26 competitors.

David Pearson put a 1963 Cotton Owens Dodge on the pole with a speed of 69.257 mph. Junior Johnson in the Holly Farms Chevrolet would start second, Ned Jarrett in the Burton-Robinson Ford third, Richard Petty in the Petty Engineering Plymouth fourth and Jack Smith in his Plymouth fifth.

David Pearson led the first 39 laps before Ned Jarrett took over. Ned led through lap 133 before Joe Weatherly moved his Bud Moore Pontiac out front for two laps. Richard Petty then led laps 136-148. Lil Joe was back in front on lap 149 and he was moving away from the field until lap 231 when Ned went to the lead to remain there until the end of the race.Somewhat of a "vanilla" sounding race, right? But, oh no!

The crowd of 3,000 were on their feet as Joe Weatherly ran up behind Tiny Lund who was some 30 laps down. Weatherly was trying to pass Lund to continue to build his lead over Jarrett and when Joe finally got what he considered an opening, he pushed the Pontiac to go by Lund. But it didn't happen that way! Lund moved up and crunched Weatherly's fender. As the altercation between Lund and Weatherly was going on, Ned smoothly moved out front. It was then that Weatherly spun Lund in turn four.

Lund dove into the pits and waited until Weatherly was coming back through turns 3 and 4 and then pulled out of the pits directly in front of Joe. Lund veered into Weatherly going into turn one and the Pontiac of Weatherly almost left the speedway over the enbankment but Weatherly held on and ran down Lund going into turn four where he crashed into Lund. As the cars exited turn four and head down the front chute, Bud Moore, Weatherly's car owner, threw a rock and hit the LundFord in the driver's door.

Jarrett was flagged the winner and Bud Moore crammed a wrench in his back pocket and headed to where his driver was parking the number 8 Pontiac. The wrench was "insurance" should things get rough. Weatherly climbed from his battered Pontiac and was ready to head for the crushed and wreck Ford of Lund and everyone was expecting a huge fight to ensue. However, unbelieveable as it may seem, fans seeking autographs swarmed around both drivers and the drivers were prevented from encountering each other. Bud did not have to use the wrench that night but he had plenty of body work to do.

After the race, Lund said "Joe had run over me once before in the race and he has knocked me around at other tracks". Joe responded that "yea, I tapped Tiny because he had been holding me up for 10 laps and Jarrett was cutting into the lead I had built up".

Jarrett's average winning speed was 56.897 mph which is credited as being "remarkable" as the track had deterioated into a mess as the race went on. By the end of the race, there were 1 foot deep furrows all around the track.

Finishing order:

1. Ned Jarrett, Burton-Robinson Ford, winning $1,350.00

2. Joe Weatherly, Bud Moore Pontiac, winning $1,000.00

3. Richard Petty, Petty Engineering Plymouth, winning $650.00 (2 laps down)

4. David Pearson, Cotton Owens Dodge, winning $500.00 (9 laps down)

5. Maurice Petty, Petty Engineering Plymouth, winning $400.00 (9 laps down)

6. Jack Anderson

7. Larry Thomas

8. Larry Manning

9. Curtis Crider

10. Tiny Lund

11. Doug Cooper

12.Buck Baker

13. Roy Tyner

14. Worth McMillion

15. Billy Wade

16.Bill Widenhouse

17. Wendell Scott

18. Jimmy Pardue

19. Junior Johnson

20. G. C. Spencer

21. Jack Smith

22. Darel Dieringer

23. Lee Roy Bolton

24. Neil Castles

25. Ed Livingston

26. Jimmy Massey

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jack Carter
@jack-carter
11 years ago
9 posts

Tim sounds just like the old modified races on dirt back in the 50's and 60's!

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Yes it does Jack. Speak softly and carry a big wrench in your back pocket. Oh wait. That was some presidential dude talking about a big stick. Oh well.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

This would mark the final Cup win for Jarrett's car owner, Charles "Red " Robinson , owner of Burton & Robinson Concrete Construction of Fairfax, Virginia. Jarrett moved to Bondy Long and Robinson dropped out of Cup racing completely following the deaths of his drivers Jimmy Pardue and Larry Thomas in 1964.

Ned Jarrett posed with the 1963 #11 Burton & Robinson Concrete Construction Ford, driven to its final win on November 10, 1963 at Concord, NC. Ford Racing Archives

Member, David Bentley has a photo posted on this site of future NASCAR Grand National Rookie of the Year, Bill Dennis, of Glen Allen, Virginia, driving a Burton-Robinson sponsored NASCAR Modified.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

Only a few years later Tiny would end up behind the wheel for Bud. In 1968 Tiny would drive Bud's Mercury's in Grand National and win the Grand Touring Championship in the Cougars.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
11 years ago
835 posts

"Chief" had a top 5!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race report from Spartanburg Herald

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Race preview from Spartanburg Herald

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

The leader getting taken out by a car many laps down back in 1963? Hmm, that kind of sounds familiar.

Race preview

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

I don't think a large group of fans crowding around wanting his autograph will ever protect Joey Logano.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"