Bennett Clontz

Johnny Bowen
@johnny-bowen
11 years ago
31 posts

BENNETT CLONYZ , dirt track great from Morganton NC died Friday Nov 22 . One of the best back in the day.

updated by @johnny-bowen: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

Sorry to hear about another great racer. R.I.P. Mr. Clonyz and my sincere condolences to his friends and family.....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Condolences to family and frinds of Mr. Clontz.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Clontz, Jimmy

Jimmy Clontz MORGANTON Jimmy "Bennett" Clontz, 77, of Morganton, went to his Heavenly home Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013, after several years of declining health. Born in Burke County Aug. 4, 1936, he was the son of the late Robert Glen Clontz and Eva Duckworth Clontz. Bennett was a member of Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church and was a U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean War. Bennett was a legendary NASCAR Dirt Track champion. He has been voted as one of the top 25 all-time dirt track racers with many notable wins. Mr. Clontz received an award for 30 years of dirt track racing in North Carolina. Bennett is survived by his wife, Sharee Ruth Dixon Clontz, of the home; his mother, Clara Duckworth Clontz, of Morganton; daughters, Debbie Clontz Phillips and husband, Brook, of Hickory and Dr. Kim Clontz Franklin and husband, Doug, of Morganton; stepchildren, Makesha Garnder and husband, Travis and Jason Lewis; grandchildren, Kyle Gantt and wife, Tina, Dustin Gantt, Leigh Phillips, Dylan Lail, Cierra Lail, John Franklin and Livy Franklin; a step grandson, Avery; a great-granddaughter, Chloe Gantt; brothers, Robert, Harold, Bill and R. G. Clontz, all of Morganton; a sister, Durlene Shuffler, of Morganton; and a number of nephews and nieces. In addition to his father, Bennett was preceded in death by two sisters, Olivia Lackey and Frances Shirley. The funeral was held at 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 23, in the Colonial Chapel of Sossoman Funeral Home and Crematory Center. Dr. Dewey Thomas officiated. Burial followed in the Pleasant Ridge Baptist Church cemetery. Military honors were provided by the N.C. National Guard. The family received friends at the funeral home from 2 to 3 p.m. prior to the service. Memorial contributions may be made to Burke Hospice and Palliative Care, Inc., 1721 Enon Rd., Valdese, NC 28690. Condolences may be made online at www. sossomanfuneralse rvice. com.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Charles Craig
@charles-craig
11 years ago
57 posts

Bennett and Doug Osteen were terrors in Bill Petty's 43 Camaros. They would come to Metrolina and would always put ona show. Bennett won a special show at Spartanburg Fairgrounds ona Saturday afternoon and rode up to Metrolina and won again that night. He was given a new large toolbox for the Metrolina win. Drove the car in bib overalls. Bill Connell used to say Bennett and Doug both should have bark on their arms instead of skin. "Benny", was one of the toughest I ever saw. RIP Thank you for telling us Johnny

Dub Simpson
@dub-simpson
11 years ago
8 posts

I remember the good old days racing with Bennie. He was one of the best. Condolences to the family

Jackie Sims
@jackie-sims
11 years ago
6 posts

Here's a model I built years ago of one of the Petty's of Spartanburg camaros driven by Bennett Clontz. Great racer! R.I.P. Mr Clontz.

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
11 years ago
123 posts

Thoughts and prayers for friends and family.