Do you have a favorite race of the 70s????

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

The local radio station I listen to, B-106.7, is having an "all 70s weekend", which started last night and goes through Monday. I have been listening far into the night last night and I had the radio on from 9 until 3:30 while I was working in the yard. I have heard so many songs that took me back to those times of the 70s, the early part of which I was actually racing, and the rest of which I was going to races all over the circuit. I would hear a song and think "man, we wore that one out on the eight track heading to Daytona. Another song comes up and I'm thinking "that's Charlotte, all weekend". So funny how the songs take you back. Seems there was actually a recent country song about that.

Anyway,I started thinking about what race of all the races in the 70s was my favorite. Wow, that was a mistake. I had flash backs (not the Timothy Leary kind) of so many races. Richard winning in Charlotte for the first time. Bobby Allison and that Matador winning Darlington, David Pearson winning Darlington, The 1976 and 1979 Daytona 500s, not to mention the 1970 with the winged Plymouth carrying Peter Goodwill Hamilton to victory. Oh so many great races. I finally decided NOT to decide on one today. I want to hear what you all have to say about your memories of the 1970 races and then we'll take that trip back. Maybe, on Tuesday night's "Racin' the Way it Was" radio show, we can get callers to talk about their favorite races of the 1970s.

Think about it. Can't wait to hear what you all have to say.

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 09/24/18 01:35:13PM
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
14 years ago
626 posts
Well there are quit a few for me right now i would say the 19 78 Daytona 500 i think Bobby was about to go back to short track raceing and leave grand national was about to get laped till the leaders all got messed up in turn 4 and he got his first win in a long time and all so the 1975 Southern 500 with BA in the AMC car
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I can't put any race above the 1976 Daytona 500, but watching Bobby Allison win both races at Michigan International Speedway in 1971 with a '69 Mercury from Holman-Moody was my favorite '70's moment. My favorite memory after the race was handing a couple of beers to the Bud Moore hauler driver while he waited to leave the track. He took them with a "thank you" and a smile!
denny hudock
@denny-hudock
14 years ago
1 posts
My favorite race of the 70s was the Pittsburgher 200 at Heidelberg Speedway in Carnegie, PA. This year end show gathered the best of the Late Model world from the midwest and further. It was a "happening". Jim Cushman, Dick Trickle, Bob Senneker, Ed Howe et al, against the locals of Ohio and Western PA. They just don't have races like this anymore
Tom Bennett
@tom-bennett
14 years ago
1 posts
My favorite race of the 70's was the only one that I was able to attend in the 70's. That was the 1979 Southern 500. David Person winning sort-a unexpectedly after being fired from the Wood brothers and driving the #2 Rod Osterland car while filling in for the injured Dale Earnhardt. Wild.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
I guess my favorite race would be the last race I won in 1978 at Tri County Speedway in Alabama. It was a wild nite there because it seems like it was the last race of the season and a lot of cars were there. There were a lot of wrecks and it seems like Ijust worked my way through the wrecks into the lead. It was getting late and weather was coming but the race finished just before the rain came. Getting out of the infield was the problem,car slid off the ramps two or three times and then you had to pull up the track to go out and that really was the problem. muddy was not the name for it, it was sloppy goo. Finally we got out and crawled down the hill to the highway trying not to slid into the ditch. That night was long getting back home because it rained all night. But all in all it was the best because it was my last race I won, feature race at least.
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
14 years ago
40 posts
Any NASCAR LMS race!!!!!!! SORRY I am a nostalgic guy!
sharon stone
@sharon-stone
14 years ago
1 posts
Darlington, Glotzbach had a two lap lead in dunlevy's car, and the motor blew, darrel, cale and petty were racing. I think cale won ,I think my memory isn't so good.