Racing History Minute - 1965 Motor Trend 500 from Riverside Raceway

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

The 1965 NASCAR Grand National season got underway on January 17, 1965, a Riverside Raceway withOUT the factory Chrysler Corporation cars which included Richard Petty and David Pearson. NASCAR and Chrysler were in hot dispute of the use of Chrysler's Hemi engine which proved to much for the Ford competition in 1964 although Ford did win its fair share of races. Richard and David were off pursuing other racing venues when the 42 cars rolled off the line that sunny afternoon in California.

Junior Johnson had won the pole in his Ford with a speed of 102.846 mph but it was Dan Gurney, winner of the two previous 500s at Riverside who was the fastest qualifier with a speed of 103.500 mph. Dan Gurney used his International License to enter the race as NASCAR and USAC continued to battle for sanctioning supremecy across the county. Gurney would start in 11th place in the number 121 Wood Brothers Ford. Second place starter was Parnelli Jones in a Bill Stroppe Mercury, third was Ned Jarrett in the Bondy Long Ford, fourth was Fred Lorenzen in the Holman-Moody Ford and Marvin Panch in another Wood Brothers Ford would start fifth.

Parnelli Jones took the lead on the drop of the green flag with Junior Johnson and Ned Jarrett in hot pursuit. Jones would lead the first 36 laps before his Mercury began to experience problems in the valve train. Junior Johnson took over for two laps before Dan Gurney slipped into the lead he would hold until lap 81. On lap 82 it was Johnson out front again but Gurney went back to the point on lap 91. A. J. Foyt muscled his way to the front on lap 92 and he managed to hold on to that lead until lap 128. On lap 129 Dan Gurney almost effortlessly moved his Wood Brothers mount back to the lead and the rest of the way it was all Gurney. The checked flag waved on lap 185 giving Gurney his third consecutive Motor Trend 500 win. In fact, at that point, Gurney had won all three races at the track and those were, to date, his only NASCAR wins.

After the race, Gurney told the crowd of 61,474 who had spent almost six hours watching the race, that he "never strained the car at all. I was in a good position and never had to stand on it". Gurney completed the 500 miles at an average speed of 87.708 mph, slowed by 2 caution flags, and would finish 27 seconds ahead of second place.

A.J. Foyt was challenging Junior Johnson for second place with 16 laps to go when he got his Holman-Moody Ford into the dirt in turn nine and flipped end over end, another crash that has made numerous highlight films and was used in a movie or two. A.J. was transported to the hospital in a great deal of pain. Doctors determined he had suffered a broken back and a fractured left heal. His condition was listed as "Fair".

A freak accident resulted in the death of one 20 year old race fan. The fan and several of his friends were watching the race from a extended fork lift between turns one and two. Dick Powell spun in that area and slid into the safe embankment and in the excitement to see the accident, the fans on the fork lift all went to the same side of the platform at the same time putting the forklift off balance. The forklift tipped and crashed to the ground killing the fan, Ronald Pickle of San Diego and injuring three other fans.

There was also a fire on pit road as the Ford of Ned Jarrett burst into flames on a routine stop. Fire crews were on the scene immediately and put out the blaze. Jarrett said afterwards "those people at Riverside did a tremendous job of putting out that fire". The fire occured on a lap 94 pit stop. Jarrett had been running with the leaders until that point.

Finishing Order:

1. Dan Gurney, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $13,625.00

2. Junior Johnson, Junior Johnson Ford, winning $7,310.00

3. Marvin Panch, Wood Brothers Ford, winning $4,075.00 (1 lap down)

4. Darel Dieringer, Ford, winning $2,625.00 (3 laps down)

5. Gene Davis, Bill Groves Mercury, winning $1,850.00 (8 laps down)

6. Eddie Gray

7. Scotty Cain

8. Sam Stanley

9. Buck Baker

10. A. J. Foyt

11. Jerry Grant

12. Roy Tyner

13. Nat Reeder

14. Ed Brown

15.Dick Gulstrand

16. Bob Conner

17. Sam McQuagg

18. Bill Amick

19. Ned Jarrett

20. Skip Hudson

21. Fritz Wilson

22. Doug Cooper

23.Larry Frank

24.Fred Lorenzen

25. Doug Moore

26.Al Self

27. Dick Brown

28. Bob Bondurant

29. Bobby Allison

30. Joe Clark

31. Dick Hutcherson

32. Parnelli Jones

33. Jim Cook

34. Bob Thompson

35. Bill Boldt

36. Bill Meyer

37. Johnny Steele

38. Don Walker

39. Bill Cantrell

40.Charles Powell

41. Bruce Worrell

42. Dana Hall

Junior Johnson left Riverside leading the NASCAR Grand National Points because Gurney had entered under the authority of his International License and thus was not eligible for NASCAR points.

PERSONAL NOTE: I was so angry with NASCAR for outlawing the Hemi that I had "resolved" (it was, after all, that time of year), not to attend or even listen to any NASCAR race. I had not ruled out reading about the races in The Southern Motorsports Journal or the newspaper. However, the draw of the races had me tuned into the AM radio station carrying the Riverside race. I would, in fact, listen to all the events but attended on the two Grand National Races at Columbia Speedway until NASCAR relented and allowed the Hemis back late in the year. I do remember hearing that the spring race at Darlington had a crowd of just over 11,000 and 3,000 of those were Boy Scouts admitted to the back straight grandstands for free so NASCAR realized that the absence of the Mopars and such drivers as Petty and Pearson kept the fans away.

I did show my disgust with NASCAR over their ruling but, in the end, my deep love of the sport could not keep me from the radio on race day. I do also recall at the end of the 1965 Motor Trend 500, I had started to call it the "Dan Gurney Benefit Race". Stay with us, folks, there is more Dan Gurney to come in these History Minutes!

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

these riverside minutes are very interesting sounds like the wood brothers and dan gurney had things under control on the west coast

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Footage of the AJ Foyt crash:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Richard apparently had hoped to be at Riverside in January anyway. He was going to drive the pace car. I'm guessing Riverside officials thought it would help sell tickets. From News And Courier .

But a few days before the race, the announcement was made that RP would NOT be driving the pace car. I'm also guessing Plymouth pulled the plug on the deal thinking his appearance might compromise their squabble with Bill France. From Daytona paper .

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/17/17 03:26:43PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Once again, the Henry Ford Arte House has some fantastic pictures amongst its on-line collection of 400+ photos from this race.

http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/collection.pl?collectionID=2828&productTypeID=62

Here are just a few.

Pre-race parade

Hey - that's not Linda Vaughn! What's up with that??

The little old Dodge lady's hemi of the 50s became racing's dominant powerplant of the 60s.

Wonder if the parade was on a Wednesday.

Chris Economaki multi-tasking with recorded interviews, reporting and snapping photos for National Speed Sport News

Caution lap perhaps?

The distant scene from Ned Jarrett's pit looked eerily similar to what folks could see from the frontstretch at Charlotte just 5 months later. Ned having been involved in both adds to the freaky factor.

Winner Dan Gurney with Glen and Leonard Wood

CBS claims the first in-car camera was in Cale Yarborough's car for the 1983 Daytona 500. But Larry Frank perhaps was among the first to have an ON-car camera during a race.

Jerry Grant in Tom Friedken's #12 Ford. Was his 1st of a 19-race GN career.

Sam Stanley in 17 - first of only two career GN starts

Chrysler may not have had any FACTORY cars in the race. But that doesn't mean Mopar wasn't represented. Buck Baker in #88 Dodge.

Dick Gulstrand - his 1st start of a 7-race GN career.

The Indian - Roy Tyner

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/17/17 03:28:05PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The following year - 1966, my Chevy guy, J.T. Putney contracted to be the "camera car" for the annual promotional film produced for the 1966 Southern 500 at Darlington. J.T. was running at the finish, but 31 laps down. My buddy, Frank and I were greatly dismayed that J.T. kept pitting to change film rolls.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Here's another history note.

I ate my first ever Patty Melt in January 1981 at this Denny's on Madison Street in Riverside!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts
Ha! I remember some comedian several years ago closed his set with the advice "Folks, question EVERYTHING...except what's on a patty melt. Good night!"

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Tim - You were understandably saddened and frustrated by the absence of Richard Petty in the 65 Riverside race. However, a 43 Plymouth DID race in the event. Fritz Wilson finished 21st in a #43 Plymouth in the last of his 12-race GN career. Photo searches thus far haven't been successful, but I do wonder if Fritz raced a purchased/loaned, hand-me-down, PE Plymouth.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

DOH! Getting my years mixed up re: Jarrett. Referenced Fireball's accident that happened a few months after the January 64 Riverside race. But this one obviously happened a few months AFTER it. Still - the fire in Jarrett's car at Riverside in January 65 had to have notched yet another "its time" marker in Ned's decision to call it a career.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

6-1/2 min video of race highlights

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

And for the record - even though the Plymouth factory teams didn't race and even though Richard Petty didn't drive the pace car, The King WAS in Riverside for the race. NSSN's Chris Economaki's camera provided the proof. Thanks to Russ Thompson for advancing me NSSN cover images to check this one out.

--
Russ Thompson
@russ-thompson
10 years ago
46 posts

A couple of photos from the race in Illustrated Speedway News.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

AJ had back surgery last April for chronic pain that resulted from this accident.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Fritz Wilson in the 43W former Petty Plymouth.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Updated link to Henry Ford Arte House pictures:

http://thehenryford.artehouse.com/perl/collection.pl?productTypeID=62&collectionID=2828&pgNumber=2&seeAllImages=1&sortBy=createdDate

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM