9 Galaxies, 4 Polaras, 4 Savoys, 3 Bel Airs, 2 Belvederes, 2 Maruders, 2 Catalinas and One 300 Took the Green at My 1st Race 50 Years Ago This Week

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I saw my first green flag 50 years ago this week on Sunday afternoon March 8, 1964, and my first checkered flag on Tuesday night, March 10, 1964.

This post isn't about my first race experience - which was awesome - but, rather about the car models and brands in that race which no longer exist.

Below : The Make (1964 Dodge) , Model (Polara) , Driver (David Pearson) , Car Owner (Cotton Owens) , Car Number (#6) of the winning car at my first race 50 years ago this week.

Cotton Owens Garage web site

Below is the final finish order by brand at the 1964 Richmond 250 on the old half-mile dirt layout in Virginia's capital city:

The Plymouth , Mercury, and Pontiac nameplates no longer exist.

The Ford Galaxie nameplate (9 entries) was last used in 1974.

The Dodge Polara nameplate (4 entries) was last used in 1973.

The Plymouth Belvedere nameplate (2 entries) was last used in 1970.

The Mercury Maruder nameplate (2 entries) was brought back and used until 2004.

The Plymouth Savoy nameplate (4 entries) was last used in 1964.

The Chevrolet Bel Air nameplate (3 entries) was last used in 1975.

The Pontiac Catalina nameplate (2 entries) was last used in 1981.

The Chrysler 300 nameplate (1 entry) was brought back in 2004 and is still in use.

At my first race two brothers named Petty both drove the same make car - Plymouth - but Richard drove a Belvedere and Maurice a Savoy .

The only one of the models above I ever owned was the Chevrolet Bel Air. I had a 1957 and a 1963. Both are now classics that I wish were parked in my garage.

Which of the models above from 50 years ago have you owned?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

great list Dave, I have owned2 Plymouth Belvedere's, a Plymouth Savoy, at least 5 Chevy Bel air's, and a Pontiac Catalina. Like you, wish I had them all back.....

Charles Ray Stocks
@charles-ray-stocks
10 years ago
222 posts

this is good stuff dave these gen 6 cars all look the same it takes away from the racing in my opion

G.T. Nolen
@gt-nolen
10 years ago
17 posts

I remember that race well, I was working for Worth McMillion then, they took the cars outside the race track and parked them inside the old round brick building that was used for livestock during the state fair. We went back Monday afternoon and it was so dark inside the building, you couldn't see anything in that big buildingand we couldn't find the cars!! I guess there was electricity in the building but it wasn't on. Had to get flash lights to find the cars. Things have changed somewhat in the past 50 years!!!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Good stuff, GT. Years later we'd put the cars in the big heated & lighted exhibit buildings when it snowed in February.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The building GT is remembering the cars being taken to in March 1964 at Richmond's fairgrounds during the two day rain delay can be seen on the right hand side of this 1952 Adolph Rice Studio aerial photo:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I had a couple Plymouth Belvederes. Owned 1962 Galaxie for about 2 months. Neighbor bought a new Chrysler 300 every year from 1956 through 1962. I remember all the other models you list, Dave, but never owned them.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Russell Rector
@russell-rector
10 years ago
80 posts

I miss all of them too. All the Toyotas,Nissans,Hondas,ect. in the world are NOTequal to one of these makes.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.