Paul Menard

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

I noticed his interview yesterday hadn't been brought up as of yet. Thoughts?

Personally- this was uncalled for. It's not like Steve Byrnes was asking for personal details about Paul's wife's delivery. It's also probably why a guy like Paul Menard doesn't get so much as a mention on tv most weeks, unless he's causing a caution flag.

updated by @jay-coker: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Thanks for posting. Heard about it yesterday & saw your tweet several minutes ago. But I didn't see the interview as it took place. Certainly an odd exchange. Menard is clearly an introverted guy - and I guess he doesn't want anyone getting into his off track business. As you say, though, Byrnes' question was a softball, general interest one.

The "thought you were gonna get one didn't ya?" line was all sorts of weird too. Maybe he was referencing the driver sub plan question vs. the one about his wife. But no big mystery, right? Its not as if he is trying to keep sponsor pressures at bay or keep Vegas betters guessing.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Wager
@dave-wager
10 years ago
25 posts

Lotta pressure, LOT OF PRESSURE on this guy at this exact moment. Play this clip again and notice how rigid and tense PM is during this interview. He doesn't know whats going on at home, he's concerned about the car set up, what it is and what it's going to be and he does not want that microphone in his face right now. On top of that, he's lookin at a 2/3 hour rain delay, or possible postponement till Monday adding even more to his frustration. That being said, I think he handled better that I might have. I'm certain however, that Steve Burns meant no disrespect and was only trying to follow up during a rain delay.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Having watched this four times now, I don't find fault with either Paul or Steve. It was something Paul didn't want to address and something Steve thought would be of interest to fans. I would guess, in my humble opinion, no harm, no foul for either.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

I saw the interview, live, too. Twitter lit up about it, but, honestly, I don't get it. It looked pretty much like a normal interview to me. Steve Burns indicated, later, on John Boy & Billy, that rain delays produce much anxiety on the part of the TV execs, and they are under greater pressure for 'filler' stories, especially the pit reporters. Maybe Paul sensed he was just being used as a filler.