Lynda Petty past away

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
10 years ago
514 posts

Just heard Lynda Petty has passed away. Prayers to the Petty family. She was the backbone the The Petty Family.

updated by @stars-radio: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I think we've all been dreading the day when this sad news might come. Prayers and thoughts to all the Petty family.

WGHP-TV High Point, NC

First Lady of NASCAR Lynda Petty dead at72

Posted on: 4:30 pm, March 25, 2014, by and , updated on: 04:47pm, March 25, 2014

Photo Gallery EXPAND 1 of 12
  • Credit: WGHP

Bjmby3RIYAAiseYfasdf

The flag outside Richard Petty Motorsports on March 25 (WGHP)

RANDLEMAN, N.C. Lynda Gayle Owens Petty, the wife of Richard Petty, died at her home in Level Cross onTuesday. She was 72.

Lynda was surrounded by her family and passed away peacefully after her battle with cancer, the family said in a statement.

We wish to sincerely thank everyone who has supported us and our family throughout the years and at this time, the family said in a statementWe will forever love and miss a wife, mother, grandmother, great grandmother and friend.

Richard married Mrs. Lynda in 1958 when she was 17-years-old. Richard was 21. The two met in high school.

The couple eloped in South Carolina and kept it a secret, waiting until Richardcould afford an engagement ring.

I brought her home, dumped her out in the middle of town, she went into her house and I went home, Petty told FOX Sports.I took me three or four months to get a diamond for her, and by the time we got the money, I bought a diamond and told everybody we were married.

Credit: WGHP

As Pettys stock car kingdom was growing, Lynda ruled at home, and disciplining their four children rested solely on her shoulders.

I was the one, and you can ask them youd ask Kyle, Did your daddy ever whip you? and hed say, No, but my mother wailed the daylights out of me., Lynda said in a 2009 interview. I disciplined and I never even bothered Richard with it. I didnt want to put the fear of God in him that he was going to beat his children to death for doing something, so I took care of them and they loved him to death and still do.

Over the past few years, the couple livedin Randleman where they operated Richard Petty Motorsports.

The Richard Petty Museumwas started in the race shop in 1988 by Lynda, but it was moved to nearby Randleman in 2003 because of space demands as the racing operation expanded.Last November, it was announced the museum would be relocated to Level Cross at the site of the original Petty Engineering and Petty Enterprises shops.

Lynda is proceeded by grandson Adam K. Petty and is survived by her loving husband Richard; son, Kyle and daughters Sharon and husband Terry Farlow; Lisa and husband Charlie Luck; Rebecca and husband Brian Moffitt. In addition, she is survived by grandchildren Austin Petty and wife Sarah; Hannah and husband Brad Leonard; Montgomery and husband Randy Schlappi; Maggie and Kyle Farlow; Richard, Sarah and Margaret Luck; Helen, Thad and Harrison Moffitt, and great grandchildren Sullivan Mae Schlappi and Adam Christopher Stonewall Petty.

A private memorial service for family and friends will be held at Reverie Place in Randleman, North Carolina which Pastor Kenny Crosswhite will officiate. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the following:

Petty Family Foundation
311 Branson Mill Road
Randleman, N.C. 27317

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Thanks Jerry...

RIP Mrs. Petty.My thoughts are with the family and friends.

Thank you for posting additional information, Dave.

Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
10 years ago
169 posts

Thoughts and prayers for the Petty family.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

My thoughts and prayers are with the Pettys and with all the people who ever encountered Lynda. She was a jewel in all respects.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

ray lamm
@ray-lamm
10 years ago
214 posts

my prayers and thoughts are to all the petty family at this time.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

My sincere condolences to the entire family of such a strong and gracious Lady. May she rest in peace.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts
I don't know that much about Lynda but seeing as how she raised Kyle and kept Richard humble, she must have been good people. I wouldn't be surprised if the King lost some of his will to keep on going.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

There is an excellent story in the Greensboro, NC paper at the link below:

http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_78c8b1f2-b45d-11e3-84c1-0017a43b2370.html

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

It is. Thank you, Dave.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts