Madhouse!

N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
Well RR members, only seven days until opening day on April 26th for the 66th season at Bowman Gray Stadium aka "the madhouse", "still the most exciting of them all", "home of the hot modifieds", and "Winston-Salem's longest running professional sports event". My son and I always look forward to this Saturday. Opening day always brings a new excitement and sets the tone for what seems to happen the rest of the season.The plan is to arrive early and visit the pits after marking our seats. We are always on the front stretch, down gate 23 and sit on either row M,N,O or P on the right hand side in the end seats.It's great to see the drivers we haven't seen in several months and catch up with old friends. When they run us out of the pits at 5 pm we head off the eat and get back to claim a parking spot, and my son and I pass the football while waiting.The trick is if you mark your seat ahead of time, you don't have to wait in the long ticket line.When the gates open you have to get program and then you rest assured you will get your monies worth. It is usually not long before you see, or someone does, something worth the price of admission.For only $10.00 you can't beat it!I know fellow RR members Billy Biscoe, Robert Mitchell, Randy Myers and my self will be there. Perhaps we can get a RR group there! Anyone wishing to join in the real racing chime in.
updated by @nb-arnold: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I already have a commitment for that night or I would have to come since Randy Myers threatened me if I didn't. Well, maybe "threatened" isn't the right work, but he made crude suggestions as to my age if I failed to show up. I can assure you that I would love to be there but what I have to do that night is very important in the life of a young man I mentor.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

I will be in Atl GA that weekend but i will make it this year maby week after next looking farward to it

Randy Myers3
@randy-myers3
10 years ago
23 posts

A suggestion for those planning to attend the season opener. There is serious road construction in the area around BGS. The Vargrave Street exits are now closed so unless you are very familiar with the area, the best way to access the track is from Martin Luther King Blvd. If you know how to get to the south end of Vargrave (off Waughtown St.) that is open to Diggs Blvd. which gives you access to the West parking lot. The parking area across MLK and the paved lot on the West side of the track are still open fromeither side. Much of the other parking area is closed due to the construction and the building of a new parking lot for the Mini-Stocks. If you want parking near the entrances, you better come early. Last year they were parked for half-a-mile up MLK and that was before the construction.

--
Randy Myers
Randy Myers3
@randy-myers3
10 years ago
23 posts

You just let me know when you can move your walker to the car and make the trip. LOL!

--
Randy Myers
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
Thanks for the info Randy! We come in on MLK off bus. 40 and park behind the front stretch in the west lot. Guess we will have to deal with this all season, but hopefully worth it.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

GOOD ONE RANDY he he he

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

For your information, Mr. Myers, I just had my walker turned up by Waldo's Walker Service. Should be in tip-top condition now. Will see you there sometime this season now that you've thrown down the gauntlet!!!!!

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
10 years ago
1,783 posts

I attended opening night last year with Billy and Karen Biscoe. I doubt I can make this one, but encourage anyone who has not seen a race at the Madhouse to do so. Well worth the travel from anywhere!.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Randy Myers3
@randy-myers3
10 years ago
23 posts

N.B., If you take the Waughtown St. exit (going south), turn left and then turn left again on Vargrave, that will take you down to Diggs where you can still turn right and get to the west lot.

--
Randy Myers
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
Thanks Randy, was wondering about that. Sounds like the way to go. Hope to see you there. Stop by our seats if you can.