Tempers, Suspensions and Losing Driving Championships

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I'm sure a lot of folks remember Kevin Harvick being suspended from driving a Cup race after antics during a Truck Series event.

How many of you remember when Jack Ingram's temper at a weekly event got him suspended by NASCAR for two races of the 1986 Busch Series, resulting in the Championship being won by Larry Pearson.

Several years ago our RR member Jay Coker posted the video below on YouTube. I had completely forgotten this.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/06/17 11:03:49PM
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
I now remember this now that you mention it. Funny how some of us "old" racing folks have forgotten more than some of the new ones know as that old say'in goes!
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Thanks for the mention Dave :)

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

I remember hearing about this when it happened, but I never, to my knowledge, saw a video until this clip. I can't remember what it was that irked The Ironman so much but it must have really been a dilly.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

The race this footage originated from was aired on USA Network. TBS covered the Cup race that weekend at Rockingham, but they used USA to air the Grand National race. My best guess is that it was a segment prepared from the old Motorweek Illustrated program that Dave Despain used to host on TBS on the weekends back in the 80s, thus why Bob Varsha is reporting.

N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
From the best of my recollection, Jack got into it with someone during a late model stock race at New Asheville and a fight broke out. Correct my memory if incorrect. A good source would be an old Winston Cup Scene or Racing News. Fellow RR member Bob Dudley was probably there and could give us the story.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
Thanks for the insight Dennis.