Bad Brad's Sonny Hutchins/Emanuel Zervakis Look-A-Like Richmond Car

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Not sure where the car design for Brad Keselowski's Detroit Genuine Parts / Penske Racing Ford for this weekend's Richmond Cup race emanated, but it seems appropriate that the powder blue color scheme would debut in Richmond - home of the late Richmond driver Sonny Hutchins and Richmond car builder Emanuel Zervakis.

In the late 60s and early 70s, Sonny and car owner Emanuel Zervakis made the powder blue look a frontrunner and winner with their beautiful #01 Chevelles, Novas and Monte Carlos in NASCAR Late Model Sportsman competition. A Winston Cup version even sat on the front row at Martinsville next to the King and led the first 70 laps. What goes around comes around. Anyway, Richmond fans will be very familiar with Brad's new color scheme.

Brad Keselowski Richmond ride

Sonny Hutchins / Emanuel Zervakis #01 Late Model Sportsman and Winston Cup rides

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 11/26/21 08:41:20PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

oh how I wish I could go back there....Thank you for these fine memories....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Hey, Bill... here's one posted by RR member Butch Zervakis, who originally built (and drove) the powder blue #01 - showing it side-by-side at Virginia's Langley Field with Sonny racing new teammate Geoff Bodine in the #99 "White Tornado." But, note all the original powder blue paint on the frame and interior of Geoff's former Sonny Hutchins car.

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

looks like a close battle fer sure. I was chatting the other nightduring our monthly meetingwith Jack Anderson and Dave Dion and Jack said of all the owners he drove for his favorite was the "mad Greek"

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Woody. Good stuff.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Dave Dion in #27 racing then Richmonder (Mechanicsville) Al Grinnan in the "Coleman Mann from Powhatan" #00va for the lead at Thunder Road in Barre, Vermont NASCAR Late Model Sportsman competition.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Wonder if the Keselowski car is a Sam Bass from Richmond design who was subconsciously remembering the Zervakis / Hutchins cars?

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

I gave Dave the web address the other night and he promised to join our group. might have to jog him a bit to get him on board. lol.....

N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
10 years ago
121 posts
Don't want to burst any bubbles here, but Penske recently signed this sponsor to a couple of race Cup deal. They actually ran this color combination and sponsor last year in Nationwide with Sam Hornish.
But, I do think it looks much like Sonny's old car.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, N.B.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Dennis, that is absolutely awesome, "must see" video you have posted of one of Sonny Hutchins' last interviews before he passed. I had no idea that it was "Bubba" Marshall who now owns the legendary #21 Ford Modified built by the Wood Brothers for Sonny and loaned by Bubba to the Wood Brothers Museum in Stuart, Virginia. I hope Harlow Reynolds sees this video.

Bubba Marshall was Richmond promoter, Paul Sawyer's personal attorney and our attorney at Richmond International Raceway. Bubba was a great collector of all things railroad related and had a huge collection of railroad lanterns.

I can't believe my good fortune that you found and posted this awesome video with Glen and Leonard talking about the modified they built for Sonny. Just wonderful stuff. Thanks again!

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Dennis, really fantastic find on your part. Thanks for sharing. I have a good friend, Ford Easton in St. Petersburg who is a big railroad lantern collector and I've heard him speak of Bubba Marshall several times. I loved it when Sonny said he had won many races but lost 48fights. lol..Great stuff.

G.T. Nolen
@gt-nolen
10 years ago
17 posts

Brought back a lot of memories too, it looked like Sonny driving it the way he was running!!