To Comment or Not Comment on Historical Racing Photos in the Photos Section??

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
10 years ago
560 posts

To Comment or Not Comment on Historical Racing Photos in the Photos Section??

It appears that Member Rick Campbell got mad or something and took off his discussion about the movie "STOCKCAR!(1977)" and old 1960's photos of old Fairgrounds/Strawberry race track in Richmond,Va??
Richmond International Raceway is now located there.
I apology for making historical racing comments and facts on Member Rick Campbell's historical racing photos in the Photos Section!!
Is there any way for each Member choosing "COMMENT" or "NO COMMENT" to their historical racing photos being summited to the Photos Section!!

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 07/15/18 10:57:50AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Wow. Ex-member apparently. Didn't just delete the discussion and photos. Looks like he folded his tent and left altogether. No Rick Campbell in member list any longer. Bizarre.

I don't think having a Comment or No Comment option is the answer. Sites like these are inherently SOCIAL sites. As long as conversations are within the guidelines of the ROE, others are free to comment on pictures, discussions, blogs, member pages, etc.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Maybe just trying to find an outlet for something deemed valuable. In my opinion, as Chase pointed out these sites are mostly social and we all do strive to be historically accurate and build a history of something we all respect and hold in high regard.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

I have always been careful on what or how I say and post things so as to not offend anyone.. Sometimes I just give up and dont post anything because I cant get it to read neutral ..

If their stuff is that critical or sensitive maybe it shouldnt be posted.. the movie would be great to share or show on here, but maybe it was not as it was posted..

All my videos and stuff I put on here are there for all to view and enjoy, am I not doing it correctly??

I for one would have liked to view the movie --even if it was in segments. And why would you not want comments on your stuff -- heck I enjoy them.. If I make a mistake I will correct it not not gelete it entirely.. But then again thats just me ! !

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Johnny - Not saying I'm sensitive. But sometimes... your comments... *sniff*... make me re-consider... *ahem*... what I should... *sniff*... post here. But I will not let you... umm, uhh... bring me ... oh I can't deal with this much longer. Ha ha

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

uhoh, looks like someone dis-connected the Scheafer keg and made Chase cry. That's the only thing I know that would make the tears flow like that...lol...good one guys.

Simon Cook
@simon-cook
10 years ago
17 posts

I agree completely. I haven't been registered here long (although I was lurking without being registered for quite a while), but if anyone ever asks me what I like about Racers Reunion, I'd tell them one of the best things about this place is the comments.

Take, for example, the Racing History Minutes. Of course there were the initial posts, and they had (and have) plenty of good information, but then members would post period newspaper articles for the race, their own recollections of the event in question, additional general information about the race and the drivers competing in it, and additional photos and video of the event that weren't posted in the original post. Put simply, a lot of good information and interesting posts were posted that probably wouldn't have been posted if it wasn't for the comments of members of this site, which obviously never would have happened if there wasn't a comments section.

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
10 years ago
365 posts

To quote a line I hate from a movie I hate, "Rubbin' is racin'"

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
10 years ago
3,119 posts

Simon, I am pleased that you have choosen to come into the light and out of the shadows of lurking. You really nailed it with your comment because it IS the comment section of this site that really adds to the historic significance of what the site tries to do.

The History Minutes started when it was a very rainy Thursday here in Columbia and I was reading from the "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing". I got the idea for a daily post and asked Jeff for permission, which he granted. As the year progress I was learning so very interesting things I had not known although I've been around the sport since 1952. But it was when TMC Chase and Dave Fulton, along with several others, began jumping in with the clippings, photos,and videos that the whole thing started coming together. I think what the site has put together in the History Minutes is an awesome reference tool for future members of the site.

Thank you for being a member and for your contributions. I hope you will add your memories here as well.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I am sorry that I missed former member, Rick Campbell's post about the 1977 movie Stockcar and the historic Richmond photos that he posted.

I worked with Rick's father, the late Kenneth Campbell, for ten years at the Richmond track and had a relationship going back to 1981. At one time, Rick's dad and Paul Sawyer were 50/50 partners in the Richmond track, until Kenneth sold his stock to a consortium of ten Richmond investors including Richard Petty's close friend, Hugh Hawthorne.

Kenneth often lamented having been involved with the film. They tried to make a realistic racing documentary featuring the stars of the day, but were really bamboozled by the distributor.

Rick Campbell's father had many promotional talents outside of racing. He was the east coast booking agent for both Roller Derby and Lawrence Welk. He also was the major booking agent for The Statler Brothers and the Royal Lippazan Stallions, which were housed in horse barns at the Atlantic Rural Exposition fairgrounds site next door to the Richmond track when not on tour. That's also where the huge, portable Roller Derby track was kept between east coast engagements.

When I bought my first race ticket to a NASCAR Cup race in 1964 ($5), it was at the office of Kenneth Campbell - The Campbell Co. - on Belt Boulevard in South Richmond. A desk and a briefcase in that little brick office near Southside Plaza shopping center served as home base, also, for "Paul Sawyer Promotions."

Rick Campbell's dad also organized the famous "Race Trains" that ran from Washington, DC to both Darlington and Rockingham in the 60s & 70s. He also drove the pace car for NASCAR at many events and served as the first spotter for the initial live CBS telecast from Daytona. Campbell managed to get live shots of practice at Richmond races in the early 60s telecast by television station WRVA (across from Junie Donlavey's shop) and was instrumental in the first national broadcast of a Virginia stock car race in March 1965 when he got ABC's Wide World of Sports to telecast the Richmond 250 as one of its segments.

Rick Campbell's father, Kenneth also formed one of the early stock car racing radio networks in conjunction with partners Ned Jarrett and Sammy Bland.

The media center at the Richmond track is today named in honor of Rick Campbell's father, Kenneth.

I regret that the post and photos have been removed. Perhaps one day they'll be re-posted. Personally, I am grateful when someone corrects a historic error I have made or asks an interesting question. I only met Rick a couple of times when he came out to see his dad. Back in the 90s he had an outstanding collection of historic carousel miniatures he had built by hand. They were absolutely stunning. Let's hope he'll reappear and post the historic stuff again.

Kenneth was also a Marine aviator in the South Pacific during WWII. He refused to be rented a foreign make of auto at the rental car counter - ever.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Kenneth Campbell , Ned Jarrett and Sammy Bland formed the American Racing Network in the early 60s to broadcast stock car races. Below are two photos from Ann Bland Salster, Sammy's daughter. The first shows the setup for a live radio broadcast from a Pennsylvania track to radio stations in the south in the early 60s. The second photo was taken of the three men (L to R - Ned, Sammy, Kenneth) at the Richmond track in 1989.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Rick Campbell's sister (Kenneth Campbell's daughter ), Deborah is pictured in victory lane with Richard Petty at Richmond's 1967 Capital City 300 in the Richmond Times-Dispatch photo below:

Here's another Richmond Times-Dispatch photo of Richard in the same victory lane at Richmond in September 1967:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks to research by member Russ Thompson and as posted by Chase Whitaker some time back, most of the documentary Cup movie Stockcar! produced in 1976 by Kenneth Campbell is now available for viewing.

--

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM