Life's Changed for REX WHITE

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

This Rex White article ran in this morning's Charlotte paper and via the That's Racin' website:

NASCAR legend Rex White: Hall of Fame selection changed my life

By Bill Kiser
Correspondent
0522raceHOF_11
David T. Foster, III - dtfoster@charlotteobserver.com

CONCORD, NC Rex White didnt expect his life to change very much after he was named to the 2015 induction class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

But White quickly discovered that wasnt going to be the case.

Everythings changed nothings normal, White said during a press conference before the start of Saturday nights Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Its unbelievable how my popularity increased. The fan mail has been unbelievable. I get quite a bit of mail from Germany now. I get mail from Afghanistan, the soldiers wanting autographs and pictures. A lot more people want to talk to me for some reason.

White, the 1960 NASCAR Grand National (now Sprint Cup) champion, was one of five drivers named to the Hall of Fames 2015 class in May, joining Bill Elliott, Fred Lorenzen, and the late Wendell Scott and Joe Weatherly. All five will be inducted into the Hall in January.

Both White and Elliott, along with members of Lorenzens, Scotts and Weatherlys families, were honored during the Bank of America 500s ceremonies.

In addition to his championship, White won 28 Grand National races, 36 poles and finished in the top 10 in 163 races between 1956-1964 before he stepped away from the sport at age 35.

I didnt have the money to sponsor a car its very simple, said White, who had NASCAR career earnings of $233,511. I went to work for a Chrysler-Plymouth dealership in Forest Park, Ga., and started making more money than I did racing. I just never got back in it.

White still follows the sport his favorite driver is rookie Kyle Larson, he was a fan of Mark Martin before he retired, and likes what Chase Elliott is doing but has an old-school attitude about how the series champion should be determined.

I still like the old system, but maybe thats normal, White said. But right now, (the Chase for the Sprint Cup is) so close and so tough, I cant stand it.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/16/16 07:54:05AM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

It is great that Rex is getting the recognition from the younger fans. He has always been a favorite of us old school fans. Congratulations on an honor well deserved. Rex White, Grand National Champion and member of the NASCAR Hall of Fame!

Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
10 years ago
214 posts

My hero, Rex White A great friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Harlow Reynolds

Lynchburg,Va....

Charles Craig
@charles-craig
10 years ago
57 posts

Rex, we missed you yesterday at my cruise in. It is the first one that you have missed. We are so proud of you. Hope to have you with us next year. You are finally getting the credit you deserve after all this time. I have never met anyone with more passion for racing than you. You are the best ambassador that NASCAR could ever wish for. I hope they realize what you have done for them all these years.I'llcall you when you are able to slow down and catchyour breath. Donna and I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing you soon. You need to tell the story you told me about driving the car Chevrolet gave you to buildinto a racer from Detroit!! to Spartanburg!!! Much love, Charlie Craig