Tommy Ellis Prison Sentence

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
14 years ago
9,137 posts

From today's Richmond ,VA paper regarding former NASCAR Late Model Sportsman, Cup and Busch Series driver, Tommy Ellis being sentenced to 18 moth prison term for tax evasion. Interesting to note that a former Ellis car owner, Eric Freedlander also once received a stiff prison sentence:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2010/jul/31/sent31-ar-356298/

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts
That is a sad thing to happen to Tommy Ellis. I remember watching him race many times. Guess you can make enough money racing to have tax problems. Never realized that was possible unless you are in today's Cup events.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
as the old saying goes it aint nice to mess with uncle sam
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
14 years ago
121 posts
I had heard that he tried to sell his car wash business to an undercover cop and showed him a second set of accounting books. Don't know 100% if that is the story or not. Can you shed some light on this Dave?
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
what that says is there is a lot of holes in that plan whether it be for the seller or the buyer but vacation time is almost guaranteed Robbie Solesbee said:
Go to the link Dave posted in the discussion. It was an undercover cop. But even at that why would anybody in their right mind sell a business and show records that pretty much say all this can be yours if want to cheat the IRS and risk going off to Club Fed for a while?

N.B. Arnold said:
I had heard that he tried to sell his car wash business to an undercover cop and showed him a second set of accounting books. Don't know 100% if that is the story or not. Can you shed some light on this Dave?
paul woody
@paul-woody
14 years ago
6 posts
Wow, I had not heard about this. I asked the "iron man" about him one time and he just sort of shook his head and said absolutely the scariest guy he had ever seen behind the wheel of a race car.But I remember when he tried to help bob pressley win the LMS national championship in 1978. Bob had got hurt at richmond race around labor day and the next 3 weeks Bob would try to run one lap so he could get the points and then bring it in so tommy could drive it the rest of the race. I think they won at least one that way and it was at Langley field.
Ron Wetzler
@ron-wetzler
14 years ago
3 posts
he drove and won the Busch Title for my good friend Bill Papke J&J Racing Goo Goo Clusters this is the first I heard of this. The #99 car in 87 or 88 they won .