What does it take to be called a HERO?

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
9 years ago
363 posts
Hero:1.A person distinguished by exceptional courage, nobility, fortitude, etc.2.A person who is idealized for possessing superior qualities in any field.These are two of the most common descriptions of the qualities, or characteristics, that most of us if we were ask to explain the word Hero. There are others and I know we all have meet people that have earned the title for many different reasons over the years. The brave men and women in our armed services that have served honorably in our place truly have earned it, as well as the law enforcement officers in all our communities. Still others may not fit the description to all, but to individuals the title is well deserved. As Ive aged the criteria for this honor has changed many times, but looking back at the heroes of my youth, many still received the honor for what they meant to me.Today Im referring to the many drivers and owners that pass through our memory that most may not give a second thought to, those which for any number of reasons have earned a place of honor in my memory. Drivers like Petty, Allison, Yarborough and Pearson as well as crews have earned their place for drawing me into the sport of NASCAR and being examples of hard work and talent. Older drivers like Lorenzen, Roberts, Turner and Weatherly, even though I never saw them race, created the history that I have referred back to many times as I hungered to learn more about the sport. The Wood Brothers, Jr. Johnson and Smokey Yunick are there for the way they thought outside the box and sparked the interest of many new fans. The list could go on of the greats in the sport, but a few may be heroes to me alone, and sadly most did not survive.Tiny Lund stands out in my memory, both as a talented and driver and as a likeable giant of a man. His fun loving nature and the respect that many of the better known drivers had for him speaks of the man he was. From the story of his Daytona win to the day we lost him at Talladega, he showed great ability and desire.Larry Smith, 1972 Rookie of the Year, stands out to me for a few reasons. First I understand that he had lots of talent on the dirt tracks around the south. I recently talked with a mechanic that worked on his engines for a brief time that told me Larry was good. Not many could race and win well enough that it was possible to make a living at it in those days, but Larry very well could have. He was that good. To read of his climb in the sport driving a family owned car, the steady improvement and earning a big time sponsor and the title of ROTY, then he was gone. So much promise, such a loss.Harry Hyde was as good as they came. Smart, innovating and a great sense of humor. To this day I came stop smiling when I see a clip of any Harry Hyde interview. The stats from the years with Isaac and Baker are still impressive and rank with the sports greats from any era. Harry seemed to have had 2 sides to his personality, the laughing and fun loving side and the deeply serious side when it came to car preparation. From that bright grin to the competitive steely stare Harry earned his place in my memory by his hard work and his competitive drive, and by finding the balance to enjoy and have fun while doing what he loved. In my opinion Harry Hyde deserves to be in the NASCAR Hall of Fame soon.Just a few that stand out to me, I know there are many that have touched us all as fans. Who holds a spot in your memory and earned the title of hero?Thanks,Bumpertag in S. Carolina
updated by @bumpertag: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

My #1 racing hero would be car owner, Bud Moore - a man of integrity, grit and helpfulness. I admire Bud as much for things he did away from the track as what he accomplished at the track. We know the story of Bud in WWII. Unless you dealt personally with Bud as I did, you don't know that he always gave more than he promised, contract or no contract. He helped you when there was no percentage for him in helping you. He just thought it was the right thing to do. We'll never know how many racers Bud helped or how many folks Bud and wife, Betty together helped.

When my family moved to Spartanburg from Texas, Bud insisted we move into his lake house at no charge. Bud and Betty met us there after a two day 1200 mile drive in two cars with two weeks worth of groceries in the trunk of his Town Car that Betty had procured for us. As Betty showed my wife and daughters around the lake house, Bud took me in the kitchen. He stood on a chair and reached atop a cabinet. "Fulton," he said... "when things get tough for you over at that new race shop with your rookie driver, I put this little purple bag up here for you on top of the cabinet with a bottle of Crown Royal. Trust me, you'll need it."

When we couldn't get factory team parts like a new Ford front end for our team, Bud told me to come over to his shop and get a couple. He did the same with windshields. And, he never expected one single thing in return. He was/is just a genuinely nice person, who operated in a sport with more than its share of weasels.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
9 years ago
363 posts
Thanks for sharing Dave. Bud is an awesome man, I wish more people today werlike him. Is that your shop over on Hwy 221?
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

No, our tiny little shop was a former truck repair building a couple of blocks off the main highway 176 in Campobello, between Inman and Landrum. I used to pass James Hylton's shop on 176 each day driving from Spartanburg to Campobello.

--
Bumpertag
@bumpertag
9 years ago
363 posts
I'm not too far from you, I'm in Gaffney. Worked at Hyltons for a few years in the early 80's. Thanks for sharing.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Too many heroes in racing to start naming and not all of them are/were drivers.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND RIP, JUNIE DONLAVEY, YOU'RE MY HERO !!
Wesley Christian "Junie" Donlavey Jr. (April 8, 1924 June 9, 2014), a native of Richmond, Virginia, was the owner of Donlavey Racing; he began fielding the team in 1950. He drove for his team at first, but soon gave way to other drivers. Donlavey earned a reputation as working well with young drivers over his tenure, as Ken Schrader and Jody Ridley won NASCAR Rookie of the Year honors while driving for Donlavey. Donlavey served in the United States Navy during the 1940s. Afterwards, Donlavey started his own auto repair business, and began to develop an interest in racing. He was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in 2007.

Donlavey closed his racing team after the 2002 season; in 2006, he stated that he still had several cars in his race shop, but was in the process of selling them and had no plans to return to racing. He died in Richmond, Virginia on June 9, 2014.

Donlavey was honoured shortly after his death by the Sprint Cup Garage at Richmond International Raceway being named the Wesley C. Donlavey Garage. At the September Cup race in Richmond, team owner Joe Falk changed the number of his Circle Sport car from 33 to 90 and used a retro paint scheme similar to Donlavey's Truxmore-sponsored cars. The deck lid contained the names of the 67 drivers who raced for Donlavey. Falk considered Donlavey a mentor.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Happy Birthday, Junie, the quintessential southern gentleman. R.I.P.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I guess only special people,not all heros were drivers, could be called heros.. One I remember who shows up in my memories of yesteryear is also known by a few on Racers Reunion. Many have heard of him but to have known him was something special. My "HERO" was the famous Smokey Unick .

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

I have several special folks that I held in high esteem, Ray Fox, Ed Ortiz, Billy Wimble, Jack Anderson, David Pearson and Ned Jarrett among others. My hero's are any one that served in our military..

Larry Olson
@larry-olson
9 years ago
24 posts

Heroes come in many forms and we have had this discussion on RallyPoint (military site) and almost to a person no one wants to be thought of as a hero. It is kind of like bragging and in the case of veterans, we are the last to assume hero status.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

So true Larry. I always make it a point to shake the hand of anyone in military uniform and thank them for their service. Everyone, every single one of them, is so humble. They are truly heroes for what they do.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
9 years ago
835 posts

Darren,

As old school as it might be my Dad is my hero. I love him because of who he is but he is my hero because of what he is. Those qualities and characteristics you listed. I've posted it before but this poem speaks of those qualities being displayed.

The test of a man is the fight that he makes.

The grit that he daily shows,

The way that he stands on his feet and takes

Fate's numerous bumps and blows.

A coward can smile when there is naught to fear

When nothing his progress bars,

But it takes a man to stand up and cheer

While some other fellow stars.

It's the knocks that you take and the jolts you get

The shock that your courage stands,

The hour of sorrow and vain regret,

The prize that escaped your hands

That test your mettle and prove your worth.

It isn't the blows that you deal

But the blows you take on this good old earth

That show if your stuff is real.

Author Unknown

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
9 years ago
820 posts

So well put my friend, And its great that one of your hero's is a fine man like your father...

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
9 years ago
363 posts
These are all truly deserving and I want to thank everyone for their replies. I was refering to the drivers, owners and crew members that stand out in your memory. All 3 of the men I mention in my post servered in the Military, but I was hoping to hear that something that you saw in someone involved in NASCAR that made them stand out more that most. Some of the lesser known people that don't garner the accolades of the stars of the sport.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

How about that girl that rode around on the back of an Olds holding on to a big ole Shifter.. Now she turned heads and stood out better than most Right