Go Daddy is GONE Daddy

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

Go Daddy, the sponsor for Danica Patrick her entire NASCAR Cup career, announced this morning that they are ending her sponsorship at the end of this season when their contract expires. I'm sure you can find plenty of places to read all the details but the bottom line, used by Go Daddy, appears to be they want international interest in their product and NASCAR isn't providing that. Good cover don't you think? Much more cover than Danica usually has on when not in a firesuit.

Maybe she can pick up 5-Hour Spinenergy.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

The GoGirl may be gone, too... in spite of the Fox announcing crew to constantly beat me up with how great she's doing.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article19861239.html

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
9 years ago
3,119 posts

FOX does have a way of commenting on her performance even when she is 28th, two laps down. Oh, well, what can you expect from the Waltrip mentality?

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

While I've been done with Danica as a novelty act since the day it was announced she was coming to NASCAR, I'm not sure I'll attribute it to The Waltrip Mentality.

TV coverage for racing transformed for me in early 2001. Sure, the death of Earnhardt was THE story of that period and for months to come. But a couple of other things happened. Early in the year, FOX used generic graphics for the car numbers on their crawl. Fans inexplicably lost their ever-loving, short-sighted minds. They demanded FOX return to using graphics that matched the designs of the actual numbers on the cars as had been done by ESPN, TBS, TNN, etc. Otherwise, it was a sign FOX wasn't "all in" with NASCAR and its fan base.

Then that spring, Cracker Barrel sponsored the Atlanta race. They sponsored the race - not the telecast. FOX didn't get a cut of the action as ad revenue; therefore, they didn't name drop Cracker Barrel throughout the afternoon. Again, fans and viewers launched into a frothy frenzy.

Within a race or two, FOX and NASCAR execs met. It seemed from that point forward FOX's production efforts were again in lockstep with the NASCAR message. And that has been pretty much the case for the following 14 or so years.

NASCAR defines its 'stars'. Sure, on-track performance will ultimately make it easier for fans to latch onto a fave. But when that isn't happening, NASCAR is more than willing to leverage its TV 'partner' or its limited media corps to do its bidding.

"We need to expand racing to the Hispanic community."

"But we don't have a Hispanic driver."

"Go get one. How about that Montoya guy. He's available I've heard."

"But he isn't Hispanic. He is from South America."

"Ah, no one will care. Get him anyway and DEMAND it be reported he is for the Hispanics."

Don't get me wrong. Montoya had plenty of racing credentials. And quite frankly, he did OK I suppose in his limited time in NASCAR - certainly better than some other recent crossovers. But he wasn't Hispanic.

Same is true for Danica. She had one good run at Indy. She was attractive. She had already begun to attract a marketing vibe exclusive of racing. So in that respect, I don't blame NASCAR or her for wanting to maximize the opportunity. But when it turned out that she has been more like Dario and Hornish vs. Foyt and Montoya, the marketing emphasis continued. And a lot of that was driven by the FOX suits via a strong emphasis from the Beach suits.

Around 92-93, a buddy of mine and I took a rookie with us to Talladega. He knew little about racing and didn't have a favorite. He was from Owensboro and said "Isn't there a guy named Waltrip from there?" My bud and I looked at each other, smiled and chirped up "Yep, Michael."

At the track, we took him to the souvenir trailers in the hopes they could drain his wallet for Michael gear. (Good friends we were, huh?) We searched high and low for a bright yellow Pennzoil trailer without success. Finally, we asked at a Kyle Petty Mello Yello trailer. I'll never forget the reply as the guy told us there was no MW trailer. He said "Ya know, Michael's got some good looking stuff. He just ain't got any fans." Of course, we roared - though our bud got easy by not having to buy any shirts, hats, etc.

Fast forward 20+ years, and on-track results have little to do with whether one has a merch hauler or not. For her Nationwide and first 2 Cup years, I shook my head in amazement about how many folks were buying her products.

The 2 decades that have elapsed have also shown what Kyle Petty says frequently. NASCAR is no longer a sport - it's a business. The Frances make boocoodles of money from having Danica in their camp - regardless of where she places. And they want to keep that cash stream flowing - and are clearly willing to hold FOX's and ESPN's feet to the fire to make that happens.

If the GoDaddy departure means Danica will be sponsor-challenged - meaning her merch sales might decline - they'll quickly dump the hype. If a replacement sponsor isn't named by Darlington, my bet is we'll hear less of her on TV - an indication NASCAR has moved on to plans for over-milking another possible cash cow.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

Now I want you all to look,you done hurt her feelings . Maybe it will be all better by race day Sunday.....new caption

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Maybe Brian can entice Bruce Jenner back into racing and get the crossover audience. Think the Cat in the Hat would want to reunite with Jenner? I don't see how Jack could do any worse than he currently is with his driver stable.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

And if Bruce would bring the Kardashians with him, Brian could just turn NASCAR into one huge reality show and throw all the debris cautions he wants.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

One of them has already been in racing - albeit for only 1 event. Vegas 2010. And just like that bunch in 'real life', the 36 was a wreck when the day ended.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

IS #43 Aric Almirola, Hispanic driver?

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

The Go Daddy decision a'int too surprising.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts
Aric is of Cuban descent, yes. And Gibbs development driver, Daniel Suarez, is from Mexico as well.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

That fella driving the Star City Body Shop special at Daytona in 1971 sure don't sound like Jabe. When he tries to speak Christiansburgese, it comes out sounding kinda Hispanic.

--
Blane Moon
@blane-moon
9 years ago
113 posts

Is it Jenner or Jenny?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
9 years ago
560 posts

PEDRO RODRIGUEZ KNOWN FOR WINNING 12 HRS. / 24 HRS. LONG DISTANCE AUTO RACES AS DRIVER / CO-DRIVER.

1971 DAYTONA 500 PEDRO RODRIGUEZ* DRIVING #25 DON ROBERTSON '70 PLYMOUTH.
STARTED : 36TH
FINISHED : 13TH
RELIEF DRIVER FOR #25 DRIVER JABE THOMAS?
*JABE THOMAS DROVE #25 FOR ONE PACE LAP.

JABE THOMAS GOT OUT OF #25 RACECAR.
PEDRO RODRIGUEZ GOT IN #25 RACECAR. DROVE THE #25 THE ENTIRE RACE. LAP 1-194, MONEY WON: $1,975
JABE THOMAS GOT CREDIT FOR DRIVER'S POINTS.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.US

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Chicken dinna winna.

--
Sandeep Banerjee
@sandeep-banerjee
9 years ago
360 posts

Gotta love the old days. Jumping from a Porsche 917 Le Mans car to a stock car and finishing 13th in the Daytona 500. He ran a few more races too. Think he enjoyed the taxicabs.

Larry Olson
@larry-olson
9 years ago
24 posts

I know this may not be popular but I think it is sad. Of course like FLO with insurance these things run their course. That said, there will be others but Danica won in the international cars so she is a driver....