Pete Corey and the Fonda Speedway fan.

Dave Wager
@dave-wager
8 years ago
25 posts

Upstate New York, mid 50's, Saturday night....you were probably at the drive-in with the smell of hot buttered pop corn or you were at Fonda Speedway where oil smoke, spent gasoline from open headers and burnt rubber filled your head. And your popcorn had a sprinkling of clay dust.

If it was the latter, like me, you were the lucky ones.

Seems like, at this time, everyone had a hero, b-ball, f-ball or what ever. Mine drove a black 37' Ford coupe with white flames and red #22 on the door.
My hero was Pete Corey. Winner of the 1955 Langhorne Championship race.

(BTW,...some say that's how Fonda got it's nick name "The Track of Champions").

Pete Corey. You didn't have to like him. Lord knows many fans and competitors didn't and I never fully understood why.

Maybe it was that special gold metal flake helmet of his or that cocky swagger or maybe that cold stare that left you with no doubt of his seriousness. I don't know.

Serious.....Oh, he was absolutely serious. Ask any competitor how he felt about having Pete Corey tapping his bumper with two laps to go in the feature. Pete didn't come to Fonda or anywhere else to finish second.

I do know from the first night I saw that black #22 run and Pete smiled and shook this twelve year old's hand......I've been a Pete Corey fan.

Photos are believed to have been taken by Russ Burg, Fonda track photographer

updated by @dave-wager: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Cool post. Not familiar with Pete. But I can relate to finding a larger-than-life, racing hero at a young age.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Not sure how many news clippings you've saved from back then - or are interested in today. But I spotted several with just a quick search of old newspapers at FultonHistory.com. The archive includes many NY newspapers from the 1950s.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Pete Corey art work

Racers Reunion member Bill Rankin's artwork.

A few years ago I saw Pete Cory Jr. run a #3 Coupe at the RR vintage race at Shelby (old Cleveland County Fairgrounds track) were he was toting the left front all the way thru the corners.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Pete Corey Jr carries left front Shelby Fairgrounds April 21, 2012 Vintage championship Series

Here's a picture Jeff Gilder posted from the race at Shelby of Pete Corey Jr.

Dave Wager
@dave-wager
8 years ago
25 posts

This is a pic of Pete Jr. on the throttle of his big block modified. I believe this is at Fonda Speedway and in about the mid 70's.

Am I right about this Pete?