To Be The Legend

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Over the past couple of months, someone I respect deeply for all hiscontributions and efforts to the preservation of the history of stock car racing, has taken me to task over my title as The Legend and on comments I have made concerning certain participants in the sport. I would like to take this brief opportunity to clarify some issues.

First of all, it was the RacersReunion Computer program that established me as "The Legend" for the sole reason that I submitted a great deal of material to the site. The computer had it's own system of rating contributors. I remember this from the Christmas Party at Jeff's house in December, 2008. Jeff thought it was a "cutesy" title and started calling me The Legend. Sometime later, Jeff decided the site needed an "Icon" or perhaps a "Mascot" with an unique name so he started using that label. At first I resisted the title until he convinced me it was good for the site because I liked to be in public and interact with people. So, The Legend I became.

To address the issue of the "costume" or "uniform" I am accused of wearing, I would point out that there is proof in a 1964 home 8 MM video that I was wearing cowboy boots, the cowboy hat and sunglasses even then, long before a certain NASCAR star choose that outfit. As for the sunglasses these days, they are a necessity due to a problem I have with my eyes and for which my eye doctor has recommended I wear them even under stadium lights. As for the remainder of the "costume", the purpose of an icon or mascot is to attractive attention, right? That certainly has attracted a lot of attention over the past 8 years and continues to do so. As for the embroidered shirts, they all say "The Legend" on one side of the front and "RacersReunion" on the other side. Those shirts are to bring attention to the site, as are my business cards and my "hero" cards. It is all about RacersReunion, NOT The Legend. The Legend is merely a marketing tool thought up by better folks than I.

I would also like to point out that with the exception of contributions from a supportive member, EVERY shirt, hat, pair of boots and the belt buckles have all been paid for by ME. Travel expenses are paid my ME. I have not garnered on red cent from being the mascot for the site. I love what this site has enabled me to do and I have met hundreds of people through the site who have become good friends.

I was appalled to learn that I was the topic of conversation in Daytona this past February wherein one driver mentioned that I believed, in my own mind, myself to be A Legend. I am even further appalled to have learned who that someone was. I guess back-stabbing has become as much a part of this site as in politics.

I was also appalled to hear some of the misstatements made by the individual in question. He is correct that I never finished high in points at Columbia Speedway. I never had the opportunity to run the full season having started in August of 1969 and ending my "career" in June of 1973. Regardless of that fact, I do vividly recall receiving a NASCAR points fund check at some point because the teller at Bankers Trust was thrilled to deposit a check from NASCAR as she was a big fan of the sport. As for the statement that the announcer referred to me as "Beetlebomb" because I always finished last is simply some confusion on the part of the individual as I never finished last in any race where I was running at the finish. I was never lapped (to my knowledge) in any race I ran. In fact, I did finish second many, many times between Columbia, Savannah, Augusta and Myrtle Beach. It is true I never won a race but I can't remember a time when that fact ever bothered me.

The individual also took great exception to some of my writings and comments about current day NASCAR and the individuals currently involved in the sport. Remember this, just as you are entitled to your opinion about my title, costume, and belt buckles, I am entitled to my opinion about certain things. I have never been known to be politically correct and you will always get my opinion on any subject, stated exactly as I believe. Whether I am wrong or not is for me to decide and for those who read or hear what I have to say. I'm not forcing my opinion on anyone and am always, always open for discussion. And, for the record, I do not recall being unusally rough on Big Bill or Bill,Jr. while I freely admit I have no use whatsoever for Brian France. I'm sure that is of no concern to Brian.

If it continues to bother you that I am referred to as "The Legend", I apologize. Maybe we need to take a vote among members as to the use of the title. It will always be my concern to put RacersReunion first and to continue whatever efforts I can contribute to preserve and present the history of stock car racing to the world. I would hope the day will come when we can work together on this project because, as I've already stated, I respect you and appreciate what you do.

Thank you.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
8 years ago
214 posts

Don't Change a Thing You are the Legend---DATS DAT---When I grow up I want to be like you---
Then I'll be the little Legend-----
Thanks ----21

Larry Eury
@larry-eury
8 years ago
1 posts

Most of the world don't care what 1 person thinks...You are "THE LEGEND" AND ALWAYS WILL BE.... LOVE YOU A BUSHEL AND A PECK AND A HUG AROUND THE NECK...Don't change anything....

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Tim, I'm not sure I know who you are talking about but I can say that any "Legend" comments I have heard I thought were tongue and cheek. Kind of like the "Bopper" ordering the wrong water pump.

"What, it won't fit? It is the same year model as your flat head!" :)

Keep on keeping on Legend"

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
8 years ago
3,259 posts

Ok who knocked the fizz outtaTimothy's Root Beer. Someone whoever you are has got Timsmess kitwet. Messing with the Legend is like messing with a Spread addar, he will make you hurt yourself trying to get away but actually he is harmless. Tims Title is kinda like an old saying , To be or not to be,That is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles. you make your mind up on which would be more troubling to you..if you wish to parlay with him!!!

And as far as his attire he has worn it for as long as I can remember and maybe before, did he play Hoss on Big Valley? So beware if you are going Fencing with him.

But the one thing I like especially is the "pun" Title Jeff put on him just "Cutesy" Now thats straight off the 13th hole....Penaltiesare sure to come outta the back 9 so every one just remember this is Racers Reunion

MEMORIES !!

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
8 years ago
626 posts

Good Job Legend

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

I couldn't be more pleased with your service as The Legend,Tim. I do feel badly, that in creating the title, I set you up for criticism at times that you do not deserve. A very wise person told me once, "When you get your head above the crowd, folks will invariably take some shots at you." I think that is the case. Your popularity is the result of your welcoming and engaging personality. We could have called you The Big Dawg, and you could have done the same thing. You have brought an enormous amount attention to our site, and that is exactly what we set out to do with The Legend. You earned the title as being the top contributor to this site. I hope you wear it proudly. Just think about this....in my opinion there's only one reason anyone could take offense to your title...they just wish they could be The legend. But they can't...because you earned the spot.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Wait, are we talking about this mascot...

...or this one?

Without the hat and glasses, it's kind of hard to tell 'em apart. Just want to make sure I know which is which. Ha.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Harlow. You are one in a million and I'm very proud to have your friendship.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Larry, I appreciate your support and your friendship. You have always been the quiet one who says more in a few comments than many can in pages. Love you too!!!!!

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Dennis. This was not "tongue in cheek" and I would have let it pass until certain things were mentioned that have no basis in fact. To that end, I felt the need to let the folks know why I do what I do. I appreciate your support.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Not sure how to reply to that Johnny, but thanks for commenting.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Leon. Remember what I always say "Damn Truckers"!!!! We need to get together soon.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Jeff, thank you so much for your support. I'm not angry nor upset over the circumstances, just irked that facts are twisted and distorted in an effort to detract from what I try to do as The Legend. I do wear the title proudly, very proudly, and hope to continue to do so until my dying day. I just felt the need to post my side (if there is in fact a "side" to this issue) for all to understand. Glad I earned that spot, because I'm loving it!! Thank you again, for the support and for the honor of being The Legend!!!!

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

The top picture Chase. I don't have a beard!!!!

--

Frank Craig
@frank-craig
8 years ago
71 posts

We all here in Hillsborough N.C. love The Legend.We all look forward at the Occoneechee Speedway for The Legends Return !!! Dont' Change, See You October The First !!!!

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

This is an early shot...back in the day.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

You surely will. Only problem now is that Jeff is trying to get me to re-grow that beard in the picture TMC Chase posted above. I have to admit it's tempting with the price of razor blades these days. Thanks, Frank!!!

--

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
8 years ago
117 posts

Just keep doing what you are doing Tim.We are behind you 100 %.You are the Legend.See you

October 1st in Hillsborough.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
8 years ago
221 posts

Just keep on being you; that's all we ask.

Devin
@devin
8 years ago
618 posts

The Legend is my vote...though I do recall calling you "Legend Tim" prior to and sometimes simply "Legend".

Thanks for being you. I am proud to know you and be a part of the greatest goat rodeo this side of the Mississippi! :)

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Alex! I shall.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you Devin. As always, you do good work.

--

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
8 years ago
560 posts

HEY "THE LEGEND",
ENJOY YOUR RACING HISTORY INFORMATION AND COMMENTS VERY MUCH.

DENNIS GARRETT
RICHMOND,VA.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Dennis, I sincerely appreciate your comment. It's the history of the wonderful men and women who are truly legends in the sport I want to make sure is never lost. Having Frank Warren on last night was a thrill for me from all the memories I have of watching him race that Dodge. I just love to hear the stories. When I call these folks about being on the show, I always tell them it is not an "interview", it is their chance to tell the racing stories from those days I treasure in my heart and memory. Not one has disappointed me yet. Thanks again for your comment and you take care of things in Richmond!!!!

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you for your comment and your support Laverne. I always enjoy being around you and absorbing you vast knowledge of the history around the Hillsborough area! See you October 1st. Take care.

--

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
8 years ago
820 posts

Tim, You do so much for this wonderful racers reunion site NO one can question any thing you do.. Just please keep it up and know that 99.9999 % of us like it just like it is....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

OK, Tim... If you ever stop being The Legend, I want my sign back! And, what the heck would you call the Legendtorial?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Bill, thank you for your very kind words. I appreciate your friendship more than you can know. It is really nice to be accepted by so many wonderful people as you have proved once again. Thank you so much.

--

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

Dave, your sign is hanging on the wall here in the Lair. I don't think I'm ready to part with it quite yet. As for what to call the Legendtorial, how about "Fulton's Famous Facts"!!! I think that will go over quite well. So glad to have you up and about and taking time to read and comment on the site. You have been dearly missed my friend. As soon as you're able, we need to plan another outing to some attraction up that way. Take care.

--