BAUGHMAN HI SPEED 100 May 7, 1971

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

BAUGHMAN HI SPEED 100

Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway

Friday, May 7, 1971

Race #3 of the 1971 season brought the Grand American Challenge Series to Nashville, Tenn. for the Baughman Hi Speed 100 at the 5/8 mile high banked oval Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway. It was to be the first of a four race tour called RED BARON RACE WEEK through the Mid-West promoted by Tiny Lund who was competing with a broken leg. The race was originally scheduled for Thursday night but bad weather postponed it until Friday. Tiny Lund took the pole at a speed of 120.449 miles per hour in a Camaro, one report reported the speed as 114.860 mph, with H.B. Bailey to his outside in a Firebird. This was the third race in a row that found Bailey on the front row at the start. Buck Baker started third in another Firebird. Jim Paschal failed to make the grid after blowing two engines in his Javelin in practice.

The start was delayed by a half hour because of rain that would later cut the event short. Bailey jumped into the lead at the drop of the green and led the first 5 laps until Lund moved around Bailey and led for 30 laps. Bailey went back to the front just before Baker parked his Firebird with a broken oil line. Bailey stayed out front as he extended his lead on Lund who was slowed by a blistered rear tire. The race was halted at 110 laps because of rain with Bailey claiming his first win by a one lap margin over Lund.

Bailey collected $1,270 of the $7,800 purse. There were 3 cautions for a total of 17 laps.

Fin Srt Car # Driver Car Laps Reason out

1 2 36 H. B. Bailey 71 Firebird 110 Running

2 1 55 Tiny Lund 69 Camaro 109 Running

3 21 Tommy Andrews 69 Mustang Running

4 8 Phil Wills 68 Camaro Running

5 41 Gary Myers 70 Mustang Running

6 7 Jimmy Vaughn 69 Camaro Running

7 9 Stan Starr, Jr. 68 Camaro Running

8 70 George Bauer 69 Camaro Running

9 76 Bob Williams 70 Mustang Running

10 74 Al Straub 71 Mustang Running

11 29 Randy Bannister 68 Cougar Running

16 15 Wayne Andrews 70 Cougar Water hose

3 87 Buck Baker 71 Firebird 40 Oil line

H.B. Bailey

updated by @dennis-andrews: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis. Never knew (or long ago forgot) that HB won in Grand American.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
FallsCity48
@fallscity48
8 years ago
18 posts

Here's a clipping from the local newspaper of the Ad, Entry list & race recap.

Marty Robbins according to the newspaper accounts ran 3 laps but does not show in the race standings (???). Entry list shows #27 Camaro. Anybody got a clue who's car it was?

Dennis, I love your Grand American posts....makes my day!!

Anybody have any info, colors, photos of Gary Myers's Mustang???

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Thanks for the comments FallsCity48. The picture below is the only picture I have of a Gary Myers car. It is from 1969 but I know a lot of cars were still being run as '70 models in 1971. The article you posted list the Myers car as a '71 so it may not be the same car. Sorry but I can not remember the color scheme of the car.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

That's great stuff FC48. I was at the State of Tennessee archives building Tuesday reviewing some microfilm. Didn't get back there yesterday after Dennis posted his report. Glad you had these clippings. I'm curious if the Banner would have much more than what Powell wrote in the Tennessean.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
5 years ago
4,073 posts

Bailey Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.