Bill Simmons
@bill-simmons
11 years ago
2 posts

Great forum. The '55 Chevy that ran I Stock driven by James Keeton is one of my Dad's old cars. Jimmy and Dad were best friends. My dad bought eh '55 from Jimmy when Jimmy started racing with the Fugitive Jr Camaro.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

I had mentioned in an earlier post, a couple years back, that Jimmy ran D/S, but as you can see it was C/S. I may have corrected this already. A mutual friend informed me that Jimmy ran below the National record on a couple of occasions, but was never able to back it up. One time it was at the Bristol Nationals. I have this article on my computer. I do notice James Donati in the run-down, as well as several other friends and acquaintances, Jimmy Burkhalter, Kenny Glidwell, Jimmy Keeton, and David Cottrell. David hailed from Southside and Manchester High School. He had a strong '63 Impala 327/300. Ray Vincent supposedly did some wrenching on that car. (I think that was his name) I wonder if anyone has a picture or any memory of a Nova ('68-'72 vintage) that ran out of the Amoco on Williamsburg Road...had Donati and Glasco lettered on the sides. They trailered the car to Wallace's in Southside one night for a street race, but the race never took place, although a huge brawl did, and smack in the middle of Jefferson-Davis Highway. Not sure who won or got arrested....I left before the law arrived and before I got my ass kicked.

JAck Redd
@jack-redd
10 years ago
111 posts

Back in the mid-60's Richmond Dragway had a big race every Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Day. On a sad note, Paul "Mongoose" Garlinski was killed later in a street accident in Maryland. I spend a few hours in his dad's famous "Night Clubs" in D.C. However the Bob Banning Drag Race Team of Dave Reitz & Tom Sneden are still racing. Thanks for the memories Woody.

I always had a laugh there when Owner-Promoter Dan Weis did the announcing and his mis-pronouncing the racers names.

On a side note, I helped with the formation of the the best Drag Racing Magazine EVER, Super Stock & Drag Illustrated Magazine. It was a shame to see it end as well as Eastern Drag News and Drag Times.

Kenneth Collins
@kenneth-collins
10 years ago
1 posts

It's cool to see the old hand outs we got back in the day. I kept a bunch of them from the early 70's until I cleaned out the attic about ten years ago. I had a lot of Super Stock and Drag Racing USA mags. as well.Woody, do you still have the car you raced back a few ago?.....Ken.

Richard Gouldman
@richard-gouldman
10 years ago
86 posts

Bill Simmons would have to answer this. The only '55 that I can recall that Cheatin' Keeton ran was a two-ten body black and white car. Pretty sure that '55 became the first car of Bill's brother Danny who drove it to school.

Bill Simmons
@bill-simmons
10 years ago
2 posts

I would venture to say it is the same James Keeton. The name of his cars, this one and the '55 that m Dad had, was "The Running Fugitive". He retired that name after he sold my Dad the '55 and named hisnew drag car Camaro "Fugitve JR". Those were fun times!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
5 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.