NEED HELP With Tracking History of a Early / Mid-70s Banjo Mathews Ford/Mercury

Frank Hager
@frank-hager
14 years ago
32 posts

I picked up this Mercury Montego bodied Banjo built car several years ago. I've decided to try tracking down its race history.

I took it up to Asheville so Boscoe Lowe and Jerry(?) Donahue (both ex-Banjo employees) to look at. Theyverified it asBanjo built car. It's a Fordframe with a Holman-Moody front clip, as they were built back then.

I bought the car out off Piedmont, SC. Previous owner wasButch Moore, at that time ran a salvage yard in Anderson, SC, and then one in northern, GA. I think he has one now near Lexington, SC now.

He told me that the car originally had a '73 Torino body on it and was rebodied with a '76 Mercury Montego, which it has now. He also mentioned that Roy Tyner drove the car on super speedways. But asking questions with the Tyner Pontiac bunch at the recent Darlington Festival produced no answers.

I was also told the car might've was run with a red color, then changed to blue.

Another lead was the name of Thackston Garage in Enoree or Woodruff, SC. I was told there was a Tony and/or Rhett Thackston that used to race the Permatex 300 from there. But I haven't found a listing for either name in the phone directory. I might be spelling the name wrong.

Anyway, any leads or help would be appreciated. Ya' can call 864-430-1932 if needed.

Thanks,

Frank Hager

updated by @frank-hager: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
14 years ago
162 posts
Frank,This may not be of any help, but there was a Marvin Thackston that entered cars in the Permatex races for several years. The car was usually #24, and some of his drivers were : Jeff Hawkins, Buddy Howard, Junior Crouch, and Johnny Allen. Maybe one of these drivers could help you get a little closer to getting some answers.Jack Walker
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
14 years ago
121 posts
Glen Jarrett also drove for Marvin Thackston in the Busch Series and may be of some help. He is currently doing some broadcasts for MRN Radio.