DALE EARNHARDTS PASS IN THE GRASS AT CHARLOTTE DID NOT HAPPEN

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Dale Earnhardt is credited with one of the most famous passes in NASCAR history. The "Pass In the Grass" on Bill Elliott in the 1987 Winston All Star Race at Charlotte.Dale never made that pass.The No. 3 was in the lead when Dale went into the grass.The No. 3 was in the lead when Dale came back onto the asphalt.Earnhardt didn't need to pass anybody - he was the leader.before he went into the grass,so how can you make a pass when you are already in the lead??????
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 03/04/19 11:19:43AM
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Very true but a great move none the less and he got into Bill's head soo bad that Elliott side swiped him when it was over.Not a Big E fan but what a showdown. Just do not see that kind of thing these days ......
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
Well its like this you see, the racing isnt nothing to talk about now so iI guess I will dig up old stuff to talk about. Im not nit pickin--- the hall of fame pickin had a lot of holes in it and Tim is having a ball pickin on the Judge in court and Robbie is out checking on the gas in the grassBut Dale and Bill had to be friends like Tim and myself cause they were rubbin for sure . Being a fan of the intimidator or not the racing was still good back then and they didnt cry baby it after the race
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Nope, it was just pure hangin' on to the car after someone puts you in the grass going for the win......just racin'
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
I believe you Johnny but I would like to see the video.The Winston poster on the wall shows Dale in front of Wild Bill.How's your girl doing?I mean the car not the track.peace,out.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

Well Mike the Old Gals are both doing good, the track is under a major facelift and the car is ssssslowely progressing along these symbols keep getting in the way $$$$$ of the car but its a work in progress now to make your day here is the pass in the grass in case you missed it back then---enjoy sir--

Mike Ray said:
I believe you Johnny but I would like to see the video.The Winston poster on the wall shows Dale in front of Wild Bill.How's your girl doing?I mean the car not the track.peace,out.
J.C. HAYES
@jc-hayes
14 years ago
37 posts
THAT IS CORRECT AND HE ALSO SPUN OUT GEOFF BODINE IN THE 5 CAR EARLIER IN THE RACE
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
14 years ago
9,137 posts
I happened to be sitting next door in Humpy Wheeler's office when Bill France, Jr. met with Rick Hendrick and Richard Childress at CMS regarding the run-ins between Dale and Geoff. Geoff kept coming out on the losing end and I think France was afraid Earnhardt was going to hurt him.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

I put a video address to the pass,its here so you dont have to hunt for it

just for your information

Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
14 years ago
53 posts
I was at this race. It was actually my first Cup race that I have ever went to. It was a great one to say the least. Johnny, it may never been a complete pass but it was holding off a charge from Bill Elliott. It happened right in front of me and my dad. I was never a Dale Earnhardt fan but with him sliding off into the grass the way he did and holding his line and keeping the lead like he did just showed what driving ability the man had. So really I dont care if it was a pass or not. It was great driving for one of the last true racers in Nascar.To me the 80's was the last decade that the old Nascar held true until corporate America took it over and the money poured in and that they cared less about what the fans thought.