Favorite modified body

Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
Far those of us modified fans out there...What's your favorite modified body? I really liked 35-6 Chevy coupes and 2-door coaches.Anybody?
updated by @ted-brown: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
if you are talking old then the coupes of the late 30's or early 40's rule king over the sedans but if you go later the Gremlin body was tops --- undecided??look it up
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
You've got my vote.I'm gonna buy a 39 Plymouth as soon as I get my Howe out of Layaway.I like a 36 coupe but those coaches are mighty fine too!
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
I like 39 and 40 Fords and 29-31 Model A "skeeters"
Michael Riley
@michael-riley
14 years ago
2 posts
36 & 37 chevrolet coupe and 36 chevrolet 2 door coach bodies!!! I'm definately a modified fan, sure do miss those old bodied modifieds!!!!
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts

I really like the Gremlin bodies on a DIRT mod, even those Troyer "Mud Bus" Gremlin -styles looked pretty tough!
Johnny Mallonee said:
if you are talking old then the coupes of the late 30's or early 40's rule king over the sedans but if you go later the Gremlin body was tops --- undecided??look it up
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts

35-6 3-window Chevy coupes were really cool.I miss the coupes a lot!They were the ultimate modified body.37-8 Dodge and Plymouth coupes were nice too, but I liked the GM's better because of the split windshield.
Michael Riley said:
36 & 37 chevrolet coupe and 36 chevrolet 2 door coach bodies!!! I'm definately a modified fan, sure do miss those old bodied modifieds!!!!
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
Anyone remember the gold #12 of Max Berrier with the Indian head outline around the numbers?That was a sharp looking 37-8 Plymouth coupe , ran real good too!That car had some pretty intense looking hand built headers on the small-block motor.I'm sure most of you guys are down south, so you must know the car I'm talking about.It didn't have much engine set-back, compared to most mods at that time, but it sure was fast!
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
14 years ago
121 posts
Ted I agree with you. But honestly, anything before the mid-80's is cool and you can tell each body style. plus, they were actual bodies. The coupes had their style, as did the coaches. Even the Pintos, Vegas and Gremlins were unique. But at least you could tell them apart.
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts

I agree with that.It seems like it all went downhill when Chevrolet came out with the Cavalier , everbody started using them and not much else.I even liked those Chevettes!Like you say no matter what body you used, it was the real thing and you knew right away what it was, not a piece of tin run thru a bending brake....
N.B. Arnold said:
Ted I agree with you. But honestly, anything before the mid-80's is cool and you can tell each body style. plus, they were actual bodies. The coupes had their style, as did the coaches. Even the Pintos, Vegas and Gremlins were unique. But at least you could tell them apart.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
14 years ago
907 posts
Hard to love just one! Anything from the '33-'34 Fords and Chevy coupes to the '37 Ford, Chevy and MoPar coupes. Personally, I never cared for the modifieds as much when the coupes and coach bodies were replaced with the modern stuff. Now, mods are just like everything else, they all look the same.
STEVEN J BROOME
@steven-j-broome
14 years ago
7 posts
this one looks good to me,even if i can't identify make or year. steve broome
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts

Steve, nice looking car, that's a late 30's Ford coupe.Looks better with the uncut windows!
STEVEN J BROOME said:
this one looks good to me,even if i can't identify make or year. steve broome
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
I agree, about the only difference is the paint job.Almost all cookie cutters today.

Bobby Williamson said:
Hard to love just one! Anything from the '33-'34 Fords and Chevy coupes to the '37 Ford, Chevy and MoPar coupes. Personally, I never cared for the modifieds as much when the coupes and coach bodies were replaced with the modern stuff. Now, mods are just like everything else, they all look the same.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
You know I dont think anyone has thought about a body that was used in the modified circuit in the late 50's and early 60's and that being a Studebaker , yup it was low and had good aero for its day just dont see one hardly anymore on the track except at Bonneville . there are still out there breaking records yearly.
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts

I used to be a Stude nut when I was in high school.Had a bunch of Larks and pickups, Those 53-up Studebaker coupes were pretty cool.A track up here, Albany-Saratoga Speedway in Malta, NY,had one up on poles as a sign.I can remember a Modified with about a 38 Stude coupe body.It looked similar to a Chevy, but had different shape quarter windows.A lot of younger guys today don't even know what a Studebaker was!
Johnny Mallonee said:
You know I dont think anyone has thought about a body that was used in the modified circuit in the late 50's and early 60's and that being a Studebaker , yup it was low and had good aero for its day just dont see one hardly anymore on the track except at Bonneville . there are still out there breaking records yearly.
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
When Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser, I thought one of those bodies might look good on a modified.But I've never seen one, but then if it were for a NASCAR track, it would probably take court battle to get it approved!Has anybody seen one anywhere?
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

well actually ive seen some used as mud busses up in the north east its kinda funny looking
Ted Brown said:
When Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser, I thought one of those bodies might look good on a modified.But I've never seen one, but then if it were for a NASCAR track, it would probably take court battle to get it approved!Has anybody seen one anywhere?
Ted Brown
@ted-brown
14 years ago
34 posts
Thanks Johnny.

Johnny Mallonee said:

well actually ive seen some used as mud busses up in the north east its kinda funny looking
Ted Brown said: