Publicity was hard to get (1948/1950) in Eastern NC.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts

I took Big Bill and Joe Epton to the Sports Department of the Raleigh News and Observer. This was all that appeared the whole week. The biggest Stock Car to be held in that area.

updated by @jim-streeter: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Mike Ray2
@mike-ray2
14 years ago
27 posts
Thank you,very well preserved and a great read.
N.B. Arnold
@nb-arnold
14 years ago
121 posts
Jim, I don't think it was just in Eastern NC. If you didn't have a daily newspaper it was hard to find results unless you received the NASCAR Newsletter. Acutal articles like this are becoming more rare and add more of an acurate element to the history. Even in the 60's and early 70's if you did not subscribe to Southern Motor Sports Journal or Southern MotoRacing you couldn't find results from away races. As a kid I used to wait for the mail to run, and look for my paper when I came home from school so I could find out who won where.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
I'll "ditto" what N.B. said with this added note. The "cup" deal gets coverage because NASCAR has done a good job keeping the upper levels of the sport in the public eye. BUT! It is next to impossible to get any coverage of anything below the top three. The print and electronic media does almost nothing to promote the "grass roots" of the sport unless the local short track has the funding to advertise heavily. NASCAR has devoted so much energy towards the "top" that the "bottom" is on the verge of not being able to continue to support the "top".
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Randy, if you noticed , the article on Herb Thomas was tied into baseball. The couldn't even write about Stock Car racing by it self., Randy, Also one of my first Videos will be about your Daddy, Billy.I hope to start making them in about a week.

Randy Myers said:
I'll "ditto" what N.B. said with this added note. The "cup" deal gets coverage because NASCAR has done a good job keeping the upper levels of the sport in the public eye. BUT! It is next to impossible to get any coverage of anything below the top three. The print and electronic media does almost nothing to promote the "grass roots" of the sport unless the local short track has the funding to advertise heavily. NASCAR has devoted so much energy towards the "top" that the "bottom" is on the verge of not being able to continue to support the "top".
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Mr Streeter, thank you for sharing this interesting piece of history.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
Please call me Jim!
Jeff Gilder said:
Mr Streeter, thank you for sharing this interesting piece of history.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
14 years ago
219 posts
Jim, Let me know what I can do to help with your project.Randy
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
14 years ago
242 posts
RandyMy Email jstreeter@sc.rr.comemail meJim

Randy Myers said:
Jim, Let me know what I can do to help with your project.
Randy