NASCARS 50 Greatest Crew Chiefs

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

How would you list and rank them? This will be interesting. I'd like all your input, then I would like to tally the votes and compile the RacersReunion 50 Greatest Crew Chiefs of all time. Also need to consider that earlier in history, the role of crew chief was quite different. And...as we have heard some crew chiefs say...the COT has changed the crew chief's role considerably since there is less opportunity for chassis "creativity". So, consider how they compared to others in their era.

Here is the beginning of a list to get us started without being totally sure of ranking....We'll have to give considerable thought to ranking later after we hear all the reasons / cases. Let's concentrate on establishing the pool first...then we will vote on ranking.

Please read the list below before posting...and only post those not already listed. We are not yet ready to vote.

The Pool Without Consideration To Ranking

1. Chad Knaus

2. Ray Evernham

3.Dale Inman

4.Harry Hyde

5. Andy Petree

6. Smokey Yunick

7. Jake Elder

8. Waddell Wilson

9. Barry Dodson

10. Gary Nelson

11. Buddy Parrot

12. LarryMcReynolds

13. Steve Hmiel

14. Jeff Hammond

15. Ray Fox

16. Kirk Shelmerdine

17. Bud Moore

18. Herb Nab

19. Ray Nichels

20. Cotton Owens

21. Robbert Yates

22. Jimmy Fennig

23. Greg Zippideli

24. James Hyton

25. Leonard Wood

26. Tim Brewer

27. Ernie Elliott

28. Robby Reiser

29. Travis Carter

30. Red Farmer

31. Jimmy Makar

32. Michael "Fatback" McSwain

33. Chris Hussey

34. Mike Beam

35. Maurice Petty

36. Hoss Ellington ( car owner...did he ever crew chief?)

37. Ralph Moody

38. Mario Rossi

39. Lee Gordon

40. Billy Biscoe

41. Red Vogt

42. Robbie Loomis

43. Len Woods

44. Banjo Mathews

45. Doug Richert

45. Mack Howard

46. Don Johnson

47. Louie Clements

48. John Ervin

49. Tommy Baldwin

50. Matt Borland

51. Donnie Wingo

52. Ken "Bear" Hunley

53.Elvin Rector

54. Larry Carter

55.Todd Parrot

56. Jack Tant

57. Junior Johnson

58. Shorty Johns

59. Alan Kulwicki

60. Paul Andrews

61.Herman Beam

62. Speedy Spiers

63. Marion Cox

64. Jack Sullivan

65.Paul McDuffie

66. Clayton Mitchell

67. Len Bohler

68. Billy Nacewicz

69. "Greaseball" Young

70. Tony Glover

71. Bud Allman

72. Robert "Boobie" Harrington

73. Shelton "Runt" Pitman

74. Bob Rahilly

75. Tiger Tom Pistone

76. Donnie Allsion

77. Scott Huston

78. Bob Schact

79. Hubert Hensley

80. Butch Mock

81. Paul Lewis

82. Emil Reutiman

82. James Franklin Sr.

83. Pete DePalo

84. Sammy Packard

85. JD Lewis

86. Roger Penske

87. Frank Hayworth

88. Gene Petty

89. Robert Fish

90. Sully

91. John Green

92. Leo Jackson

93. Dick Beatty

94. Bill Seifert

95. Ken Miller

96. Tex Powell

97. Kermit Elliot

98. Jim Hanson

99. Junie Donlavey

100. Robin Pemberton

101. Ryan Pemberton

102. Bootie barker

103. Joey Knuckles

104. Richard Childress (?)

I'll add to this pool as you make recommendations. We will not stop the pool at 50. We'll vote on the top 50 from the pool.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 03/07/21 05:15:19PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

I'm certainly not as qualified to do this as many of you are. I can't wait for your lists....and reasons. Be sure to compare them to their "current " competition...meaning their era. I think it is impossible to compare then to now, but easier to compare them to those with whom they competed combined with what they accomplished....according to the resources they had.

--
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
14 years ago
514 posts

Ray Fox, Leonard Wood, Bud Moore, Kirk Shelmerdine, Herb Nabb, Tim Brewer,Doug Richert,Robby Reiser,Greg Zippadelli,Travis Carter,Ernie Elliott, Cotton Owens

Jeff Gilder said:

I'm certainly not as qualified to do this as many of you are. I can't wait for your lists....and reasons. Be sure to compare them to their "current " competition...meaning their era. I think it is impossible to compare then to now, but easier to compare them to those with whom they competed combined with what they accomplished....according to the resources they had.

Gerald Medford
@gerald-medford
14 years ago
3 posts

Leonard Wood

Frank Craig
@frank-craig
14 years ago
71 posts

Maurice Petty,Hoss Ellington,Mario Rossi,Ralph Moody,Ray Nichols,

Jack Carter
@jack-carter
14 years ago
9 posts

Lee Gordon, GN driver Cecil Gordon's crew chief & brother.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts
Certainly can't forget Red Vogt can we?
Gerald Medford
@gerald-medford
14 years ago
3 posts

Jeff Gilder said:

Gerald Medford
@gerald-medford
14 years ago
3 posts

Banjo Matthews

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
14 years ago
514 posts
Robbie Loomis

Gerald Medford said:

Jeff Gilder said:

Frank Craig
@frank-craig
14 years ago
71 posts

Put Paul Lewis in ,he made Jeff look good!!

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
good one, cody

Cody Dinsmore said:
Certainly can't forget Red Vogt can we?

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
That was certainly a challenge for him

Frank Craig said:

Put Paul Lewis in ,he made Jeff look good!!

--
Ed  Morgan
@ed-morgan
14 years ago
1 posts

Elvin Rector, Bear Hunley I think would be good additions to the list.

Jennifer Long
@jennifer-long
14 years ago
12 posts

Donnie Wingo

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Absolutely!

Ed Morgan said:

Elvin Rector, Bear Hunley I think would be good additions to the list.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Good one, Jennifer. Thanks!

Jennifer Long said:

Donnie Wingo

--
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts

I wonder why there's more crew chief nick-names rather than drivers? Most of the chiefs from the list have a nick-name.

What's in a name? CrewChiefEdition

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
14 years ago
162 posts

Speedy Spiers

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
14 years ago
162 posts

Marion Cox

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Good ones, Coastal Jack!

Jack Walker said:

Marion Cox

--
john green
@john-green
14 years ago
1 posts

Jeff

You have to list the top 10 most over rated for those who who knew more about finding a camera and getting publicity than they did about building race cars.

John

Steve Samples
@steve-samples
14 years ago
1 posts

Jack Sullivan was as good as anyone on the list.

I'm also curious as to why engine builders and car owners are listed as crew chiefs?

Should they not be in a separate catagory?

Randy Strange
@randy-strange
14 years ago
1 posts

How about James Harvey Hylton? He was crewchief for Rex White and I think Ned Jarrett.

Robert Daykin
@robert-daykin
14 years ago
1 posts

Put me down for a Louis Clements, and be sure to add Jack Sullivan from Holman-Moody.

IMHO, the owner and chief what-ever lived is Walter "Bud" Moore, for everything he did for the sport, the sanctioning body, and for Ford Motor Company. There will not ever be another like him. Dale Inman was crucial in most of the King's 200 victories. And just because I've met him a few times, Barry Dodson should be on the list. I'm an old skool boy when it comes to these guys.

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
14 years ago
363 posts

What ever happened to Mario Rossi? Didn't he just disappear and he's never been seen or heard from since. I think I heard something about foul play being suspected in his disappearance, is that right???

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Well, I realize, some were both, Steve. I'm listing everyone who is given as a suggestion...then we'll vote for the top 50 crew chiefs. Did you have a particular person who you think should be listed separately? We should certainly make sure the list is correct. Thanks!

Steve Samples said:

Jack Sullivan was as good as anyone on the list.

I'm also curious as to why engine builders and car owners are listed as crew chiefs?

Should they not be in a separate catagory?

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

If you search his name here, BT, you'll find a thread of forum posts about that. His son, Bill is a member here.

Bumpertag said:

What ever happened to Mario Rossi? Didn't he just disappear and he's never been seen or heard from since. I think I heard something about foul play being suspected in his disappearance, is that right???

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Thanks Mike!

mike beam said:

Paul McDuffie , Clayton Mitchell the Partner with Jack Tant on Flying # 11 , Len Bohler Modifed Champ crew chief who could do it all , Billy Nacewicz - Richie Evans crew chief ,

--
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
14 years ago
162 posts

"Greaseball" Young (mechanic and crew chief for Dink Widenhouse # B-29)

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

awesome recommendation!

Jack Walker said:

"Greaseball" Young (mechanic and crew chief for Dink Widenhouse # B-29)

--
eddie livingston
@eddie-livingston
14 years ago
3 posts

Smokey Yunick

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Mike, who else crew chief'd for Ned? I listed James Harvey Hylton and John Ervin...now Bud Allman.

mike beam said:

Bud Allman crew chief for Ned Jarrett

Tony Glover won the BGN championship with his Dad , one of the best crew chiefs I ever worked with

--
JIM ROSENBLUM
@jim-rosenblum
14 years ago
2 posts

BOB RAHILLY

William Horrell
@william-horrell
14 years ago
175 posts

Shelton ''Runt'' Pittman. Although Hoss Elllington was named. Runt always was the crew chief at Ellington's from day one.

Hoss never ''crew chiefed a single race, ever. He will tell you the same. Runt was not only engine builder extroidanaire but also called wore the crew chief hat until he left for Morgan McClure in 1990. I worked in the shop at Ellington's under Pittman's rule, not Ellington's. Hossassumed responsibility as a car owner only.One'heck of a fun'' car owner I might add. A real Jewel!

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Tony Glover was chew chief at Morgan McClure while Runt was there .

WILLIAM HORRELL said:

Shelton ''Runt'' Pittman. Although Hoss Elllington was named. Runt always was the crew chief at Ellington's from day one.

Hoss never ''crew chiefed a single race, ever. He will tell you the same. Runt was not only engine builder extroidanaire but also called wore the crew chief hat until he left for Morgan McClure in 1990. I worked in the shop at Ellington's under Pittman's rule, not Ellington's. Hossassumed responsibility as a car owner only.One'heck of a fun'' car owner I might add. A real Jewel!

--
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
14 years ago
514 posts

Jeff

Robert "Boobie" Harrington was Crew Chief for JD Stacy for a while when Dale Sr was around

WILLIAM HORRELL said:

Charles William  'Butch' Ramsey
@charles-william-butch-ramsey
14 years ago
3 posts

Hubart Hensley---Hubart was a true self-made man in racing. He accomplished more with less, than probably any person in racing--he built his own motors and cars until he started using Mike Lauflin chasses inthe '80's. . He started racing in 1952 in the old Sportsman Division (flathead Ford) and won many races and track championships along the way--culminating in the winning of the Busch Grand National Championship in 1990. He won races and track championships at Bowman Gray Stadium;, Martinsville Speedway; Franklin County,VA; Southside in Richmond, VA; Langley Field in Hampton, VA; Massasses, VA; Belksville, MD; Oxford, Maine; Starkey Speedway; New River Valley, Radford, VA; Wilson, NC; Tarheel Speedway, Randleman, NC; Kingssport, TN; Coeburn, VA; Hickory, NC, and others. An example of his ability in the racing field is the season that he ran 90 races in the Sportsman Division with only one car--with Jimmy Hensley as his driver. He had no major sponsor during this season and finished 2nd in the Nascar National SportsmanPoint Standings.

In fact, he never had a major sponsor until later years in his career when he was sponsored by Texas Pete.

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
14 years ago
3,119 posts

WOW! Awesome job Mr. Gilder. I am awestruck.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

My choice

(1) Leonard Wood

(2) Junior Johnson

(3) Junie Dunlivee

(4) Ray Fox

(5) Buddy Parrott

(6) Ray Everham

(7) Red Farmer

(8) Richard Childress

(9) Jeff Hammond

(10) Earnie Elliott

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

how ironic that chad is at the top of your list even if its not in order but I would like to add Paul Lewis to the list because of what he did for you

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Junie was a car owner...and Richard Childress were they crew chiefs as well? the others are already listed JM,

Johnny Mallonee said:

My choice

(1) Leonard Wood

(2) Junior Johnson

(3) Junie Dunlivee

(4) Ray Fox

(5) Buddy Parrott

(6) Ray Everham

(7) Red Farmer

(8) Richard Childress

(9) Jeff Hammond

(10) Earnie Elliott

--
Tommy Buxton
@tommy-buxton
14 years ago
53 posts

This will be difficult without some good research,some of these guys I recognize only by name,most by deeds and a few I have never heard of so that makes me pretty unqualified butI will return with an honest attempt after some research. It will most definitly be fun. I think we should move on to car owners next and then a couple of shorter lists onengine builders and chassis builders. Some of these lesser known but very important peopleare sure tobeincluded in the RR Hall of Fame. How good would King Richard have been without Dale Inman, or JJ without Chad Knaus?We already know how Jeff Gordon has done without Ray Evernham. I will say putting these guys in order will be most difficult as I could make a case for about 4 or 5 to be #1.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Been waitin for this one! thanks bb.

Billy Biscoe (arustyracer) said:

Guy's I looked up to in my early days to mimmick, in no particular order were,Emil Reuitman,James Frankland Sr.Pete DePalo,Sammy Packard,J.D. Lewis,Ralph Moody,Robert Yates,Dale Inman,Roger PenskeFrank Hayworth,Gene Petty,Robert Fish,Sully, John Green,Leo Jackson,Dick Beatty,Jake Elder,Hubert Hensley,Bill Seifert,Banjo Mathews,Bud Moore,Ken Miler,Maurice Petty,Tex Powell,Jim Hanson,Junie Donlevey,Kermit Elliott, many I made lifelong friendships with and still stay in touch as the years pass.This should be a very intresting top 50 pick.Many early C-C's were also the car builders in that same era.Most had to be very experienced in all phases of motorsports.I guessingtoday's crew-chiefs are way overrated to help sell the sponsors images.????

--
John Joyce
@john-joyce
14 years ago
2 posts

Leonard Woods..Him and the Woods Brothers Team modernized todays pit stop..and one of the winningest teams in Nascar.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

richard was a crewchief/owner in the early days wasnt he

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

How about "Joey Knuckles" --he was the crew chief for Harry Rainer before Robert Yates replaced him as crew chief I think this was just before Robert Yates bought the team

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Alright! I think we are ready for the next step...to vote. Keep in mind...we're not simply trying to list them all....but to identify the best...and ultimately the top 50.So, let me hear your comments. The next step is to get to the top 50. My question is....do we dare try to rank the top 50? 1-50? I think at this time if we all pick our fifty, we can determine the RacersReunion Top Fifty Crew Chiefs of all time....and go from there. Stay tuned for voting instructions.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts

how about Henry Yunick

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
14 years ago
589 posts

Jeff, to answer your question, "Was Ernie Elliott ever a crew chief?" Yes he was - from the time Bill went to Nascar in 1976 up until 1989, Ernie was the crew chief and engine builder/tuner. In 1989, Ernie decided it was time to focus mainly on engines and let some one else be chief.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Thanks Cody!

Cody Dinsmore said:

Jeff, to answer your question, "Was Ernie Elliott ever a crew chief?" Yes he was - from the time Bill went to Nascar in 1976 up until 1989, Ernie was the crew chief and engine builder/tuner. In 1989, Ernie decided it was time to focus mainly on engines and let some one else be chief.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts

Post your votes for the RacersReunion Top 50 Crew Chiefs of all time on the Contest Page. Here is the link.

http://racersreunion.ning.com/profile/contestpage

--
jack kissling
@jack-kissling
14 years ago
1 posts

i would nominate ralph moody because i consider him the "godfather" of stock car mechanics . he could - and did - do it all .
leonard wood was , and is , just plain brilliant .
bud moore seemed to know all you could know about how to make a stock car go fast .
louie clements for all the reasons mike listed above . how could i add to that ?
smokey yunick because he could get more HP out of an engine - both legally and illegally - than just about anyone else .
junior johnson - one of the smartest men in racing . great innovator . he knew how to get things done .
ernie elliott was way ahead of everyone in the early '80's . he REALLY understood aero , engines , and chassis .
bobby allison . look what he accomplished as his own chief mechanic !
red vogt - he knew how to make a flathead sing like few others .
bill stroppe , who didn't race in nascar for too many years , made the most of those big mercurys . he was a very meticulous craftsman , and built beautiful cars .
of course there are more , but they're the ones that would be at the top of my list .

"Genuine Jack" Kissling

Bill Jobson
@bill-jobson
14 years ago
1 posts

Louie Clements, no doubt about that.

Robert6
@robert6
14 years ago
1 posts

In my mind Louie Clements was tops. Followed closely by Ralph Moody, Banjo Matthews, Junior Johnson, Lee Petty,Leonard Wood, Smokey Yunick, Bud Mooreand Harry Hyde.

Bruce Sadewater
@bruce-sadewater
14 years ago
1 posts

Great Idea but I think there should be two lists say pre 1979 and current comparing say Louie Clements to Chad Knaus is like comparing a WW1 Fighter pilot to today's fighter pilot. While both are pilots and work in the same arena they are not the same. A crew chief like Louie Clements was in a far different world than Knaus. I am not taking away from either of them and I feel they are both great crew chiefs, both innovative, both leaders, both won championships and both are worthy of the top 50, but to me its two different jobs..

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Bruce, the instructions are to compare their accomplishments to their era. We're trying to create the top 50 based on how they performed against THEIR competition.

Bruce Sadewater said:

Great Idea but I think there should be two lists say pre 1979 and current comparing say Louie Clements to Chad Knaus is like comparing a WW1 Fighter pilot to today's fighter pilot. While both are pilots and work in the same arena they are not the same. A crew chief like Louie Clements was in a far different world than Knaus. I am not taking away from either of them and I feel they are both great crew chiefs, both innovative, both leaders, both won championships and both are worthy of the top 50, but to me its two different jobs..

--