We CAN do this, we MUST do this. Together we WILL do this

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

Ok, folks, we have mentioned many times here how this site has brought us all together as a family of racers. As a family, we laugh together at the good times, and cry together when tragedy befalls one of our own. This post is about helping a family member.

The contributions made to Racers Reunion and to The Memory Lane Hall of Fame by our very own Jimmy Johnson can't be measured in dollars and cents. What Jimmy does in public relations would require a salary few corporations not in the Fortune 500 could afford. What Jimmy does for Racers Reunion he does for the love the organization, the sport, and for each one of us. Jimmy is family! At the moment Jimmy has a problem that would appear to some to be insurmountable. But this is Racers Reunion and we CAN and we MUST take care of this.

Most of you have probably heard that Jimmy's motorcoach blew a head gasket and the repairs to the unit are quite costly, coming in at about $3,500.00 I understand. The Coach is Jimmy's means of transporting our show car to events all over the country and keeping the Racers Reunion name in the eye of the public at those events. There is no better ambassador. The crux of this situation is this; we need to raise $2,000.00, like RIGHT NOW, to get the motorcoach out of the shop. I am, therefore, asking that each of you consider whatever contribution you can afford to that end. Please mail your checks, payable to Jimmy Johnson to:

Mr. Jimmy Johnson

c/o Mr. Michael W. Smith

102 Glen View Drive

Cherryville, NC 28021

Team South Carolina Midlands is putting the first check in the mail today. It won't be huge because our treasury is not that big, but it will be a start. So, please folks, consider this an urgent request because we need to get our ambassador on the road to Daytona by next Tuesday at the latest. Don't let this opportunity pass you by to do something really important for our brother Jimmy and for Racers Reunion. We want OUR presence in Daytona and the future events and that man is Jimmy Johnson.

PLEASE NOTE THAT JEFF GILDER HAS AUTHORIZED DONATIONS TO BE MADE THROUGH THE SITE ON PAY-PAL. COME ON FOLKS, LET'S GET THIS DONE. WE NEED OUR JIMMY IN DAYTONA. Click the "Donate" button in the upper lefthand area above the Forum area.

Let's do it! Thank you.

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:57PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
We too, are putting one in the mail tomorrow.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

PLEASE NOTE THAT JEFF GILDER HAS AUTHORIZED DONATIONS TO BE MADE THROUGH THE SITE ON PAY-PAL. COMEON FOLKS, LET'S GET THIS DONE. WE NEED OUR JIMMY IN DAYTONA. THANKS TO EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
We are half-way there folks. thanks very much to all who have donated!!!!

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

I spoke with Jimmy yesterday afternoon by phone. I told him what you folks are doing and he is deeply appreciative. Like me, Jimmy believes in this group of folks here on Racers Reunion and I see that Jeff posted 5 hours ago that we are HALF WAY THERE, Half way to the goal in 48 hours. Folks, that is awesome. We just need to close the deal now and get Jimmy on the road. My personal thanks to each and every one of you for your support of Jimmy. Come see me at Middle Georgia and Columbia Speedway and let me tell you some Jimmy Johnson stories that will confirm the contribution you make went to a very good cause. Even better, meet Jimmy for yourself and you'll see what I'm talking about. Half way there!! Let's do it.

Tim

--

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
13 years ago
559 posts

I will be donating tomorrowin memory of "Chubby Thompkins" and "Porky Edwards"

Patsy

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
ttt

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
Do we have a total? Are we close?

--

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

No, we stalled out at just over $1000.00. That does not count the donations that were mailed, though....just the RR, paypal and TSCM donation. I have no idea how much the other mailed donations total. The total paypal donations were $485.00 + $70 from TSCM + $500.00 from RR and The Racing Legends Medical Hardship Fund.

I know some folks mailed their donations...just have no way to track other than asking Jimmy. Will speak to him today to see where we are.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks, Jeff. Oh, and the TSCM donation was $75.00 so that's another $5.00 we didn't know about. It is a shame to be getting that close and not be able to get all the way. Sort of like Dale, Sr. blowing that tire on the last lap when Derrick Cope won the 500. I hope we can top it off today. Thanks for the update.

Tim

--

Jim Seay
@jim-seay
13 years ago
17 posts

I had spoken with Jimmy after finding out, in Jeff's note, thecircumstances he has been facing. I had enough on hand to send him a personal check of $50.

It's great that so many have added what they can for a fellow racer facing extraordinary difficulty.

Jimmy's the "salt of the earth" kinda guy that you just naturally like and want to assist when you can. While I'm not so involved with Racers Reunion as before, the cause of this organization is very commendable.

Jim Seay

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

Thanks for the addition to the post Wally. I hope everyone who can donate willdo so. This is a situation unworthy of such a gentleman as Jimmy. I spoke with him Thursday and one of the problems appears to be the inconsistency of the recommended repair people. Seems like the old "bait and switch" for which car dealers are known. Keep the faith and every who can, please help us out here.

Tim

--

Jim Seay
@jim-seay
13 years ago
17 posts

Jimmy replied to my note and the bit of cash I sent him to help in his plight. He said the experience has been a "nightmare"...andI suppose we can allrelate to circumstances like he has faced. He expressed his gratitude to all who have helped...and those of us who have can take comort andgratitudein knowing such aworthy man is so well thought of.

God bless Jimmy...

Jim Seay