Question of the Day for March 18, 2011

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

If green is, or was, considered such bad luck in racing, especially when such people as Joe Weatherly were so supersitious, why was green chosen as the color for the starting flag? Understandably, green is the universial color for "go", but racing was not a traditional sport. Why not a purple flag, blue flag with a star, any other color not used by the other flags?? Would have made it easier for me as a "red-green color blind dude".

Tim

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
In April 1982 - at Darlington, SC - Dale Earnhardt requested I change out of the bright green "golf slacks" I was wearing before the race started. I did and he went on to score his first win for Bud Moore. I never showed up again in green. My old friend the late track promoter and car owner, Paul Sawyer said he used to ask his partner, Joe Weatherly why he was so superstitious of the color green when he had no problem stuffing his pockets with the green loot when he won a race!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Billy & Barbara Scott
@billy-barbara-scott
13 years ago
52 posts

Tim, whether it was back in the day or the present, have you ever seen a driver, car owner, promoter or anyone in racing turn down the green stuff called money???? That's a quote from Nina Cox, who knew Tiny Lund was, at the time, "green suspicious", and she told him to give her the money because it was bad luck!! Tiny always took the "green stuff" as Nina would always say.