Should DAle earnhardt Jr start his own team?

Todd  Charbonneau
@todd-charbonneau
16 years ago
4 posts
With toney staurt being co owners of a race team should earnhardtJr do the same or start his own team.Lets face earnhardt fans the whole hendrick thing is just not working in his favor.
updated by @todd-charbonneau: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
16 years ago
1,783 posts
Personally, I think that if a driver wants to concentrate on winning races...owning his own team is the last thing he should pursue. My hats off to Tony Stewart. He has to be one of the busiest guys in racing today. With all his responsibilities as a driver, combined with being a track owner, add being a team owner...not to mention all his sponsor responsibilites...and his radio stuff....this guy must be a freaking machine. Any one of those is a full time job. I like Jr...I like the way he handles the whole thing, but its going to be really hard for a guy making the kind of money he makes to concentrate on winning races. Just take a look back through history...once the driver gets to the point of having all the money they could ever need...the wins become fewer...perhaps they start thing more about self-preservation. I know Jr. still wants to prove that he is a winner....I just think that if he's going to win a lot of races, he'll need to accomplish that while someone else is worrying about all the team stuff. He should save all the team owner stuff for when he's done competing seriously. Just my opinion.Jeff

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Todd  Charbonneau
@todd-charbonneau
16 years ago
4 posts
Ok all good points and I see where you are coming from.Another thing is if he dont by his own team that lets just back up in time again and look at this senerio.Maybe he should have tried either buying are trying to get more ownership of DEI cause he looked alot better when was with them We need to look at the stats from last year and then this year.I like the guys in hendrick but theres two of them that are fighting each other and the othertwo are trying to compete.BUUUT on the other hand Mark Martin is coming so maybe things will turn around and things will look better in 2009 for JR.What do you think?And we need to figure out how to get more responce to this can you help with that?Todd Charbonneau
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
16 years ago
1,783 posts
Yea, I think he is in a good spot to prove what he can do....he'll get the best they have to offer regardless of the other two....because he's...Jr. If I'm not mistaken...he tried to get more of DEI. That whole situation was too distracing for him. One thing about racing....if someone wins in a new situation...right away (Kyle Bush) it's rare. It takes time for things to gel...and for everyone to get comfortable working together. Hendrick is a HUGE organization. Jr is in good hands.As far as getting more response to this...there are a lot of Jr fans on here, but the thrust of this site is about racing history...so a lot of the veterans don't comment on current racing stuff. I love to compare racing then to racing now. The fact is...there's not much to compare anymore. The only thing....somebody still has to hold the steering wheel and put their foot on the gas. The cars don't drive themselves...yet. In my opinion, there aren't too many of today's stars who could have competed in the cars of 20 to 30 years ago. But things change and evolve...and this sport has cerainly done that.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Todd  Charbonneau
@todd-charbonneau
16 years ago
4 posts
So I guess I'm not going to get very much action I guess.I just miss being able to get alot of people together and just talk racing form my older years cause I dont remeber much from when I was a kid.Every sunday when I went to work at the short track When I lived in Illinois we shot the bull about the race our local and nascar.Then I would go home and invite my friends to come over and we would talk about the races.So I guess I'm looking for a place where I can do that.so thanks for replying and hope we can keep going.Take it easy jeffTodd Charbonneau
Jesse D. Sims
@jesse-d-sims
16 years ago
4 posts
Jr. never seemed like a typical Hendrick driver to me. If you look at the long term drivers at Hendrick (Gordon and Johnson) and the ones who have left (Busch and Vickers) there's a big difference in personalities. I think Jr. is a little high strung for HMS. I don't know if he needs to start his own team, but he needs to go somewhere else to be successful.
ED YERRINGTON JR.
@ed-yerrington-jr
16 years ago
4 posts
NO HE SHOULD GO DRIVE FOR RCR
David Briggs
@david-briggs
16 years ago
3 posts
Personally, I think he's got a full plate as it is. If he plans to win a championship, the fewer distractions the better. Rick Hendrick certainly has the equipment to get him that elusive title. He's already got Jr. Motorsports, which I'm sure will eventually progress into a cup team.As far as Smoke goes... I'm wishing him luck in his new venture. It's going to be tough... it always is getting a brand new team off the ground. If anyone can do it, Tony can and he's got a great teammate in Ryan Newman.
Edwin Sibley
@edwin-sibley
16 years ago
22 posts
All really good comments. Yea, driving with RCR would be tight. But driving with Hendricks is awesome too. I don't think the problem is with Jr. I think the problem is with his crewchief, Tony Eury, Jr. I just don't think Tony has what it takes to go to the top. The worst is that it's a kinfolk deal. That can be a big problem. Getting from top 5 to champion takes the right chemistry. Look at Jeff Gordon and Ray Everham as an example. As soon as Everham left Hendricks MS, Gordon has not had the right chemistry with a crewchief sense. Look at JJ and Chad. A marriage made in NASCAR heaven. Addington and Kyle Busch, dynamic winning duos. I have never seen that with Jr and Tony E. I think Jr. needs a new crew chief that can make it happen all the way to the top.