Where are they today??

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Just a few along to see if anyone knows what happened to these people from races several years ago.

updated by @robert-turner: 12/16/17 12:06:12PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

That's Margaret Claud, Miss Winston from around 1981-1985. She was also Miss Wrangler on off Winston weekends. She married a Winston-Salem attorney last name of Padgett.

Here's an Winston Cup Scene article from 2003:

Not just a pretty face

By Deb Williams

Monday, December 15, 2003

A white, contemporary, one-story building with the name "Marilyn's" written across one wall is the only designation for the Greensboro modeling and talent agency. A reception area with a mirrored wall greets visitors. To the right, a hallway leads to offices, makeup and auditioning rooms. To the left is Marilyn Chilton Green's spacious office. Her dog, Sissy, sleeps on the sofa, oblivious to the people and ringing telephones. Hanging on one wall are photographs of Green with actor/comedian Bob Hope and Kathryn Crosby. Green was R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co.'s first Miss Winston when the Winston-Salem, N.C., company became the sponsor of NASCAR's premier series in 1971. She remained in that position through 1972 and then decided to resign and open her own modeling agency. "There were a lot of young women who had come up to me in that two-year period and said, 'I really want to be Miss Winston. How can I apply?' I felt there was a need for a modeling agency in North Carolina," Green says. "There was only one in Charlotte, not a single agency in this area. I thought if there are so many women and men who want to model out there, who want to do things, it's worth a try, so I did this out of my apartment. I started with four or five people, and I went out and called on people to get clients. I did a lot of the jobs myself." Green built her business over the next three decades with her former employer becoming one of her primary clients. Her company not only supplied most of the women who served as Miss Winston, but also those women who represented RJR in its other sports marketing ventures, including IMSA, NHRA and professional rodeo. "I knew what they wanted, so they asked everyone to apply through our agency, which was great," Green says. "Scottie Seaver, during the 17 years she's been with me, she and I have interviewed thousands of young women who wanted to be Miss Winston. "Sometimes we would have six boxes of people [interested in being Miss Winston.] We'd go through them individually, look at their resumes and sort down to maybe the top 50. Then we would send those to RJR and they would pick the top 20 or 30 they wanted to see. Then they did the interviews. "It was a great experience, because it gave us the opportunity to explain the program in great detail, the responsibilities, the travel, everything to the girls before they ever went to RJR so that no one would be wasting their time. It wasn't just being a beauty queen, riding around on a float, or just being somebody that had to look pretty. This is someone who really had to work and was putting in a lot of time, and they were putting in lots of hours. It was more than just being a pretty face. They had to be on their toes to act and be professional images for RJR, and be a great image for the racing industry. "They asked us to be sure that we put a great deal of emphasis on character, ethics, personality and then looks." Jeff Byrd, vice president of Bristol Motor Speedway, was with RJR's Sports Marketing Enterprises for 23 years and hired many of the women who represented the company. "We looked for someone who was attractive but intelligent enough to be an assistant team manager," Byrd says. "You could send them to do tours with customers or they could run the suite for you. They could do whatever we did. A lot of girls got promoted and became full-time employees [with RJR]." Pattie Huffman Petty, Miss Winston from 1976-77, was working on her master's degree when she was initially hired by Byrd to be Miss Camel GT. "Pattie stood out because when she was hired as Miss Camel GT she was thrust into a world of wealthy people," Byrd says. "She came from High Point [N.C.], ... and for her to cross into that culture was a tribute. She felt more at home when we switched her to Winston Cup. She did a better job. She was very intelligent and honest. She was a Christian before it was fashionable to be a Christian in NASCAR." In addition to Petty, the other former Miss Winstons that stand out in Byrd's mind are Green and Margaret Claud Padgett. Green because she was the first Miss Winston and one Byrd described as "terrific." Padgett because of her longevity, 1981-85. "You had to walk a narrow tightrope back then," Byrd says. "You had to be attractive enough for everyone to pay attention, but wholesome enough not to make any wife or girlfriend mad." Padgett, an Elon College graduate, said it was her marriage that caused her to step down as Miss Winston. "It was long hours and it was hard work, but people never understand that," she once said. "There's a lot of social functions and after a while, you've had enough. Usually, we were up around 6 a.m. and didn't get through until midnight. You got a break to freshen up and eat." Byrd said there were three rules for Miss Winston: Be on time in the morning; don't miss your plane; and don't date anyone inside the sport. "Most didn't have any trouble with the first two. Most of them got fired with the third," Byrd noted. Green, who was 26 when she was hired as Miss Winston, was in Wachovia Bank's marketing department. A friend who had seen the advertisement in the local paper encouraged her to interview for the job. Green didn't think she had a chance at the position. She figured they would hire "some wonderful model out of New York. A top-notch person who knows what they're doing." "Not me, not a little girl from Stokes County who doesn't know anything about the modeling business," she says. "But I guess they just decided that maybe I'd fit better into the country girl that was auto racing, more so than some model out of New York. I was very honored they would even consider me." When Green was hired, RJR required a Miss Winston be age 21 or older. That was later changed to 23, and then raised to 25. "There aren't as many young women, as you would think, who are available to travel all the time who are not in college, who are not married, who are not working or have other major responsibilities in their lives, who are 25 or older," Green says. "It's very limiting to the number of young women who are available who don't have conflicts." Green operated her business in Winston-Salem from 1973 to '78 and was in two other locations before building her current facility 17 years ago. "I learned a lot in two years [of being Miss Winston] about how to market, not to be afraid to speak to anybody, not to be afraid to go to clients and tell them I could help them with their marketing ideas," she said. "I learned from the best between [RJR's] Ralph Seagraves and Wayne Robertson. It was like having a free education." Today her client list looks like the Who's Who of Corporate America. She provides models, actors and singers for print and electronic commercials as well as runway shows and even those willing to dress in costumes. She also provides 50 to 100 models for the state's annual furniture market. "We still do Mattel toys and we do Barbie everywhere," she says. "They interview a lot of girls who are blonde who can go into the big toy stores and sign autographs as "Barbie" for the kids. "We have costumes we provide. We actually do that for Chiquita banana. We're doing a national campaign right now and their mascot [wears] a big sheep costume." In addition to those who served as Miss Winston, Green's agency furnished the people who provided sample products for RJR at the track. That meant hiring 40 to 150 people each weekend. "It's sad they're not going to be doing that anymore," she says. "I loved all the people at RJR. They were just family to me and I've stayed in touch with them all these years. I've always felt like I was just part of their family." Green, who's always attended two to six races annually, said her company had spoken with Nextel and given that company a bid. "Hopefully, that will be a positive endeavor," Green says. "It will never replace our relationship with RJR. It will take a long time to ever build another relationship like that. "A lot of doors have been opened [for young women] because of things like Miss Winston. That opened doors to put women into sports that never would have been opened had they not done that. When you think about it, that was a man's world ... and you think about the women who now interview the sports people in the pits, on the sidelines in football games. "So thanks to RJR and SME, they opened the door to let intelligent, pretty young women show they could do things within that sport and many other sports that maybe would never have had a chance. I owe them a lot and a lot of other young women owe them a lot, too."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Thanks for the reply.

How about these two??

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
On the right, Bill Broderick of Unocal retired and bought a bar in Chicago. Somebody else will have to help with the driver. I thought at first it was Charlie Glotzbach, but now don't think so. He is wearing a hat from Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum in the Smokies.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
That driver is using one of the neck/shoulder straps like they used to use at Bristol. Guess one of the "real" racers is gonna have to step up and bail us out.

--
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

You are right on Brodrick and were right on Glotzabach also but didn't know it. Garrett had an ARCA car for a short time (on loan from Richard Childress if I remember correctly) and Glotzbach drove for him. They won a race or two together.

Guess I had better get home for supper (that's N Georgian for Dinner) I will try to post more the first of the week.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Thanks, Robert for the clarification. I thought it looked like Charlie, but knew his non-ARCA win at Bristol was before Winston Cup Series name.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Robbie, it WAS Charlie Glotzbach. The order of the responses have gottened jumbled.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
and now we know-------THE REST OF THE STORY Supper time here in South Ga too
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

I live in Blairsville, GA. I was the track photographer for the Tri-Racing circuit (Dixie, Rome and West Atlanta) for awhile and then moved up to Jefferson at Georgia International Speedway where I did photography and PR before being moved to the tower to be the race director and part time anouncer. I also shot for Racing News, Short Trackin', and a couple of other papers doing some short track and NASCAR work.

Another

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Georgia Internationalwas originally Jefco Speedway if memory serves....

Robert Turner said:

I live in Blairsville, GA. I was the track photographer for the Tri-Racing circuit (Dixie, Rome and West Atlanta) for awhile and then moved up to Jefferson at Georgia International Speedway

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Wow, PK... wonder how we'd get Wegman's to head south? I see they now have 6 stores in northern Va., including Fredericksburg, which I assume is now their southernmost store.

--
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

I am very familar with Ball Ground, I did a lot of work for the telephone co. there before and just after it was sold to TDS. We used to race at Toccoa years ago. I helped build the early dirt cars that Fulmer Lance drove.

More:

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Here's a new one:

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts
This is Jim Graham, he was an inspector before he moved to the pace car.
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Jim Graham with the winning Busch car at Daytona in '74

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts
One more today, in keeping with the inspector theme:
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Where is this crew now? I had a friend who worked with Pentax so I was shooting with their cameras at the time.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Here is another view, it shows the driver's name as Al Loquasto. I have some on the track shots so I'm sure they ran it that way.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Fin St # Driver

31 6 Al Loquasto Pentax Cameras ( D.K. Ulrich ) Buick 175 4,190 running 0 91

I found the above on a web site. The driver is listed as Al Loquasto and D.K. is listed as owner.

Must have been a special deal as I have never heard of Al Loquasto.

This is not a very good photo but shows the car during the race.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

I found this on the internet:

Weisenberg Plane Crash Kills Race Driver Al Loquasto, Friend

August 01, 1991|by KRISTIN CASLER, The Morning Call

A crippled single-engine plane slammed into a steep hillside in western Lehigh County yesterday, killing two men tentatively identified as famed local race car driver Albert J. Loquasto and a friend, Carl F. Mueller Jr.

The PA 28 Piper Dakota embedded itself 3 to 5 feet into the slope between New Smithville and Sechler roads in Weisenberg Township near the Berks County line. The wings drifted to the ground as far as a mile away, federal investigators said.

The craft, piloted by Loquasto, had just left the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton Airport en route to Wheeling, W.Va., for a business excursion when the crash occurred at 12:15 p.m..

Bill Godlewski
@bill-godlewski
13 years ago
16 posts

So whatever happened to Banjo Grimm? I know he got burned out from being on the road and even talked about going into the air force. What a team he and Markmade when they terrorized ASA. I believe that's Banjo with Ray and DW.

Bill Godlewski
@bill-godlewski
13 years ago
16 posts

I found a color picture of the attached car. Unusual looking ASA car. Even for DW.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
That's Doyle Ford on the left and the woman reminds an awful lot of Dolly, who was married to Cal and used to score for Dale Earnhardt.

--
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts

Al Loquasto ran Indy Car for several years and made the Indy 500 a couple of times. I remember him as a mid pack car and before that I believe he ran some USAC Sprint cars. I would like to know how he hooked up with D.K and drove stock cars for a couple of years. Usually the more successful drivers made the cross over. Great discussion, Robert.

My Dad was a fan of Al's, not for being super fast and winning lots of races, but loved the the sound of saying Al Loquasto.

William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Jim,

I am like you, thatdoes not favorGary at all..Gary was alittle on the ''lean'' sideat that point in time..

It looks more like Bobby Jones than Gary Nelson andI think that Bobby was still at Jr. Johnsons, not sure when he left..Dont remember Bobby working for Digard either.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Jim... any chance of that being Robert Yates over the engine? DiGard maintains a website at www.digardracing.com that has tons of photos of the #88 Waltrip time period and lots of crew guys shots, including Robert and Mario. Just promise that nobody will show Tim Leeming this photo from the site of DW kissing Bill Gardner. He thinks DW started kissing guys with Brian France at the NASCAR HOF!

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts
D.K. is a member and sometimes responds to questions from fans.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Eddie Jones was working for Osterlund when I met him in 1981, then had a deal building gears for a lot of teams. I also remember him keeping up some LMS cars, I want to say for Darrell??, in theGoodyear Building up at the front corner of CMS about the same time Buddy Parrott was working on those Mark Martin Apache Stove cars out of that same building.

--
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Last time I saw Bango Grimm was in the Garage area at one of the Cup tracks. He was working for someone else after not making and/or not getting to make the move with Mark to Roush. I had a good ride with him and Mark back in the ASA days. Cube van, open trailer and white T-bird. We had a press lunchion in Atlanta for the first World Crown 300 at Georgia International Speedway and I rode back to the track with them. It was kind of interesting, Bango drove, Mark layed in the sleeper and I rode copilot. We talked about what they did when they were out of town racing and had some time off. Bango said that he liked to go to the mall and walk around window shopping and looking at the "people".

I'll tell the story about the "Grand Marque" car that we carried to the press conference. We were having a bunch of local news celebrities having a mock race with some of the ASA grand marque cars to build up media interest and to help promote the new series ASA was proposing. The one that was to be brought to the press conference had a flat tire so, Gary Balough's crew was bringing it down by the way, they filled it with the only thing available, acetylene. I happened to remember that just before the race began and ran to ask them if it had been changed and thankfully it had. There were a couple of the media folks that thought they were race car drivers and gased it comming out of turn four, spinning and taking down two photographers, Bob Applegate and Earl Garretson (sp), luckly they weren't baddly hurt.

This isthe grand marque cars lined up for the start: I have a good photo somewhere of a single grand marque car but I will have to hunt it.

Bill Godlewski
@bill-godlewski
13 years ago
16 posts

Thanks Robert for the story. I remember watching the Grand Marque cars at Queen City Speedway.

I just wish I had some pics.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

First let me say thatI can't answer my own question on a lot of these people that I post photo of, it has been a long time and some of them were only faces I saw at the tracks and never got to really know. I am hoping that by posting these photos that some of them will be identified and receive the recognition they deserve for being there "back in the day" as my kids say.

Not everybody had fancy uniforms or even full time pit crews:

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
I remember the "rubberized" aprons used by some of the guys. We gave very heavy denim aprons to all the gas guys on all the teams and the Goodyear tire busters.

--
Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Yes it is Atlanta, I remember friends of mine who would volunteer to pit someone just to get the experience. It would probably amaze those involved today to find out how many pick up crews were used back then.

Robert Turner
@robert-turner
13 years ago
88 posts

Something like these: