NASCAR's Rule Changed?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
13 years ago
560 posts
What year and race did NASCAR did away with drivers having valid state driver's permit to race. :)
Thanks for any information given.:)

updated by @dennis-garrett: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Good question that I don't know the answer to. I remember in the late 60s having to fill in driver license info on a NASCAR application.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
13 years ago
589 posts
My mom said that she heard on the radio that Nascar drivers had special licenses or no licenses at all or somethign like that. I was quite shocked.
Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
13 years ago
219 posts
They have allowed 14 year old kids in the weekly racing series since last year and I don't know many with a valid license at 14.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
13 years ago
242 posts

I can remember in the late 40s and early 50s you had to have a valid drivers license. That was one of the reasons that some of the driver raced in the Dixie Sportsman Circut.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Yes, PK... They DEFINITELY DID REQUIRE a valid state drivers license at one time. I know what I filled in on my NASCAR competitor's app back in the day. If the link works, you can check out this page from the january 1970 issue of Popular Mechanics that lists requirements for competitor's license in various series:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5dcDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PP63&lpg=PP63&dq=popular+mechanics++1970+nascar+drivers+license&source=bl&ots=8vI3NPbmUp&sig=r9HV6dG1AekxpO18eTXgypL-Mts&hl=en&ei=dDFZTtuaKcTK0AG13d2SDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBA

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

yes, yes, and yes....

bet you're right on one point... there must have been at least one popular driver who couldn't secure a license in any state

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
When I got my NASCAR license in 1969, I had to present my SC drivers license. Each year I renewed, through, 1973, it was the same. But that was a long, long time ago. We all know NASCAR has the most flexible rules in sports.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
13 years ago
40 posts

They sure did!!!!! I remember that from my rule book up till i left NASCAR after 81. BUT i guess Kyle is special!!!!!!!!

William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Yes they did use to require a valid driver license...The one question that I would really like to know the answer to is WHY they changed it... Was it to allow younger than driving age competitors to compete? Or was it to allow the older ones that had lost those priveledges the chance to ''work/ drive'' ?Perhaps it was the pressure of just changing with the times as seems so prevalent in society today.

I remember having to be 16 yrs. old just to get in thepits at some short tracks and NO WOMEN ALLOWED signs posted...Sometimes things change right before us and sometimes they change and we don't even realize they are not like they used to be until years later..Guess this is one of the latter.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Great stuff Billy. Thanks.

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts

NASCAR RULE BOOK, 2011, Page 18, Section 18.18.18, reads: Any rule or condition contained in this book is subject to strict interpretation by the ranking member of NASCAR on the scene at the time of any infraction. Should any infraction occur away from the racing facility, no matter the location, local law shall prevail. However, any infraction which will adversely impact the number 18 Cup entry is immediately rendered moot and invalid. There is to be NO enforcement of penalties, suspensions, point deductions or any other adverse impact upon the number 18 entry. However, this rule is subject to immediate revision upon arrival of a certain leather wearing female driver from the INDY series as the publicity impact of her arrival is certain to take precedence over the number 18 entry.

So, there you have it. You should see the rule on Page 106.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.