TV Shows I miss

Bill Shapard
@bill-shapard
13 years ago
11 posts

Yesterday, while watching the old file video of Jeff Gordon racing open wheel cars...I remembered the first time I saw Jeff was on ESPN's "Thunder Series" racing USAC at IRP. I

watched or taped just about every one of those races. Then, I thought about TNN's American Sports Cavacade and "Motor Madness" shows, with swamp buggies, ASA racing, demo derbies, go-karts, and monster trucks. I wish some TVnetwork wouldbring back a live grassroots motorsports series and air themon Tuesday or Thursday nights.They could always re-air them during the winter too.

updated by @bill-shapard: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
The Thunder Series was outstanding. Even the NASCAR Winter Heat deal from Tucson gave us good racing in the "off season" with new names to most of us. That's where Benny Parsons spotted Greg Biffle and recommended him for big time racing.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
13 years ago
279 posts
A show I loved was Great Drivers (I think that's what it was called) on TNN with Brock Yates. And all the ASA coverage done by TNN. Great days!!
William Horrell
@william-horrell
13 years ago
175 posts

Oh, the old tomato huh? I always loved Amos & Andy...I think that J. Calhoun Lightning would have been a great candidate for the drive for diversity program... Kingfish on top of the box calling the shots, now that would be way better movie fodder than the stuff of today.

Pete, you are right on withTNN'S great driver series...Terrific show it was.

Bill Shapard
@bill-shapard
13 years ago
11 posts
Thanks, for the kind words about TNN. I worked there, and for Diamond P Sports for 11 years. I left out the World of Outlaws appeared on "TNN Motor Madness"many times. I still don't understand whyWoO races are not on live TV...especially the Knoxville Nationals. With the NASCAR HOF up & running, you would think that NASCAR would love for Speed to have a show like "Winners". Now, the only profiles you see, are the peopleto be inducted. How bout the other 20 people nominated? That's a whole season of shows. How bout the old TNN NASCAR races...the tapes were in a Nashville warehouse when TNN became Spike (2000). Where are they today? Now, there's real classic racing...and a great "weather delay" showor off season programming.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts

There was a race show on TNN that Neil Bonnett hosted. It was called "Winners". Always thought that was a great show. It was a shame we lost Neil back in 1994. I always liked him as a driver and he was great commentator for CBS for the Winston Cup races they had.

Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Wally, I loved watching American Sports cavalcade with NHRA drag racing. I was happy that NHRA rereleased the yearly drag racing videos on dvd last year. As I have purchased the years 1986-1995. I plan on getting through 1999 also soon.Watching that show on Sunday evenings on TNN with my dad always will be a great part of my life.
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Always enjoyed TNN broadcasts of the short track races that the Busch series ran at. Orange County, South Boston, Myrtle Beach, Nashville Fairgrounds speedway. Now those were some great races. I appreciate Nascar for messing all that up. They know how to screw things up very well.
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
13 years ago
3,259 posts
Im going to have to agree with Patty here on this one. To know Neil was a great treat,to race with him was a thrill, but he put a lot of heart into those segments on TNN. THOSE were SPECIAL moments when he told each of the segments. If you remember the last one that was broadcast he said see you next "----"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Used to work with Dave when his Allied-Signal, Inc. sponsored our Autolite Platinum 250 Busch Series races at Richmond. Every year that particular September Busch race drew more entries than any other on the circuit, including Daytona and Charlotte. One year we had 69 entries. Dave was agood guy and very well spoken.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
13 years ago
4,073 posts
I've got a book that was published based on that series. "Written" by Brock Yates, its essentially a recap of the interviews from the episodes. The funny thing is I think its titled Great Drivers Vol. 1. The series didn't last a terribly long time, so I guess they didn't have enough content to publish additional books.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.