Just Joined Up, Hello all

David Alfred Bayer
@david-alfred-bayer
15 years ago
9 posts
I'm a new member, just joined today when a friend pointed me this way. I'm a prosecuting attorney who just turned 50 today, always wanted to be a late model racer for real but life just twisted and turned me in other directions, but I grew up in the Central Wisconsin Hay days. At our home track the Dells Motor Speedway it was common every Saturday night to see all of the likes of Trickle, Detjens, Marzofka, Reffner, Sauter, Bickle, Musgrave, Shear, Watson, Back, you name em, racing each other at just the normal weekly program. My very first race was when my Parents took me to the 1969 Governors Cup 250 at the Milwaukee Mile where in the waning laps Don White patiently chased down AJ Foyt to take the win. Looking forward to answering questions, asking quiestions, looking at all the great stuff. Looks like it will take a long time to surf through everything here. I also avidly build models of Stock Cars, with some Nascar but mostly other circuits and short track stuff as my specialty. I'm really looking forward to this and thank you all. I'll attach a couple of those here.Dave B.
updated by @david-alfred-bayer: 12/03/16 05:48:09PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
15 years ago
3,259 posts
wecome to our world,now you got to know there is a difference in our racing compared to the modern day events that happen on the paved tracks--like i told a couple the other day anybody can drive down the highway but try driving 100mph plus on a dirt road then turn left ---now thats whats called a thrill----we used to run on tracks down in the south of half mile or better and they were flat so you had to set up for the turn about half way down the straightaway for the slide---tiny lund was the most spectacular driver i know for that--because i chased him for many laps following him and learning the control he had up high where most didnt dare venture anyway remember what ole D.W. always says---boggity boogity lets go racing -------memories
Mike Sykes
@mike-sykes
15 years ago
308 posts
Happy belated bd.and welcome to RR visit often and enjoy we have several model car perfectos on this web site. One of them is Jerry Sims and he has hundreds of them track him down and view his many photos.
David Alfred Bayer
@david-alfred-bayer
15 years ago
9 posts
Mike, Thanks for the nice welcome. I have seen some of Jerry's work on the net and in print. It is wonderful. I myself was most humbled and shocked really when I won this years Alan Kulwicki Memorial Award for the best stock car at this years Milwaukee NNL. I'll stick a photo of that in here. Its a heavily modified and hand lettered 64 Galaxy. I hand letter most of the cars so a lot of mine are what ifs but I have a Sal Tovella Merc and a Norm Nelson 67 Usac car on the bench now. I think everybody that does this probably has a dozen or so partially finished projects goin at one time! LOL If I can get this to work, I'll post up the Galaxy here, a kit car I built for my wife because she loves snowmen (you'll see) and a Buick Short tracker where you can see some of my engine work. I'll try and get a line of posts going here if I can in the near future showing some of these in addition to our other more serious chit chat. Thank you again, I'm sure we'll be talking a lot.Dave B.[IMG] http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/dabayerada/Milwaukee%20NNL%202009/000_0273.jpg [/IMG][IMG] http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/dabayerada/Daves%20Snowman%20Kit%20Car/000_0043.jpg [/IMG][IMG] http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp195/dabayerada/Daves%20Buick/000_0045.jpg [/IMG]
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
15 years ago
1,783 posts
Welcome David! Hope you enjoy.Jeff

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Henry Jones
@henry-jones
15 years ago
31 posts
Yes, welcome David!