What if Certain Drivers had Stayed in NASCAR Longer?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Don't know the broadcast origin of this short clip I found, but it raises interesting questions and brings back a ton of memories:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
jim morris
@jim-morris
13 years ago
7 posts

Dick Hutcherson had 14 wins in 103 races over a three year period. He should be on this list.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
By all means. I saw Hutch roll over his '65 Ford in the spring 1965 race on the dirt at Richmond down in turn 1 - the only car I ever saw turn over at Richmond in all the years I've watched races there. It was a tape delayed ABC Wide World of Sports tv broadcast. Junior Johnson won, but what everbody remembers about that race was the tv shot and newspaper photos of Dick hanging from the top of the old board fence as the cars passed by before he was "rescued." Southern MotorSports Journal ran a "sequence" shot of him climbing that fence and holding on for dear life!

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

Kinda ironic after talking about Iowa native Hutcherson's rollover at Richmond to read the AP report that the fired former Richmond track GM is the new CEO at Iowa Speedway. Never cease to be amazed how things go in circles in the racing industry.

Fritz named CEO at Iowa Speedway
By: Times-Dispatch Staff The Associated Press
Published: October 09, 2011

NEWTON, Iowa --
The former president of Richmond InternationalRaceway has been named the new chief executive officer of the Iowa Speedway in Newton.

The speedway announced Doug Fritz's hiring on Friday.

Fritz says in a news release that the Iowa Speedway is one of the fastest growing entertainment and motorsports venues in the country and that he's thrilled to join the team and work with race fans and supporters to elevate the facility into a premier motorsports destination.

Iowa Speedway co-owner Rusty Wallace says Fritz is an industry leader who will take Iowa Speedway to the next level.

Fritz replaces Jerry Jauron, who resigned earlier this month to become general manager at an Urbandale motorsports manufacturing company.

Doug Fritz at the Richmond Track

--
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
13 years ago
3,119 posts
What a beautifully nostaglic clip! Thanks for posting that Dave. I have, for years, carried the torch to any one or group who would listen, that had Tim Richmond lived, he would have more championships that Dale and Richard, more wins than anyone currently running, and would have set records in all areas of the sport. He was one of those guys who could just drive it and drive it well. I guess my personal times with Tim sort of set him apart from the others. I miss all these guys because they are a part of my memories of the good times in the sport. I'll watch this clip a few dozen more times at least.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Bumpertag
@bumpertag
13 years ago
363 posts
Wow, thanks for posting this. So many NASCAR fans today are unaware of some of the greats that were mentioned in this clip. Only after watching this was I struck by the amount of talent and skill that is missing from the racing today. Sure we have Johnson, Gordon, Kennseth and Stewart, but can imagine the racing ifsome ofthose memtioned in the clip were still here and running with the greats of today.Thanks for the memories.