A Wonderful Day at Occoneechee / Orange Speedway Celebration Saturday

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

There were numerous other RR members at Occoneechee this weekend who will report in detail (some are still there), but let me say that my 10 year old grandson and I had a marvelous day Saturday from the time we entered the gates at 10:30 a.m. until departing at 3:45. Everything everybody said was true and then some. On top of that, we were treated like royalty by the entire staff of volunteers from the time we turned off Interstate 85. I hadthe opportunity to see old friends I hadn't seen in nearly 25 years and meet new ones who I have grown to treasure here on Racers Reunion.Beginning with the current Historic Group president, Laverne Zachary signing us in and making us feel oh so special, it just kept getting better and better. On top of that, my grandson loved it. Meeting a number of fellow RR members and contributors was really special. Being able to put a real face and handshake to names like Jimmy Johnson (with his first name spelled the "right" way), The Legend- Tim Leeming with his booming voice, along with so many others, including master photogs Ray Lamm and Ed Sanseverino. Theentire day was just so, soooo special. I got to see my good friends Joe & Ruth Kelly of "Let's Talk Racing" in Richmond. Joe, at age 75,actually interviewed all the starters in their cars as they prepared for their laps around the restored historic venue. Joe actually raced motorcycles at Occoneechee. On Friday, I rummaged in my garage and found six Wrangler Racing / Dale Earnhardt pit crew shirts tucked away in storage, still resplendentwith theirvibrant Reflex Blue and & PMS Whatever Yellowcolors that once adorned the Earnhardt cars. I tried them all on, but they had apparently shrank in storage. I couldn't button any! I picked the newest one,a 1984 model and my grandson wore it over his coat to Occoneechee. Talk about being able to find a kid in a crowd! All I had to do was look for the yellow Wrangler stallion emblazonned on the back of that crew shirt to find Tommy. There were lots of personal highlights to our day. Here are 3.

1) Being recognized by 2-time GN Champion Ned Jarrett, having him shake Tommy's hand and ask about our family. It didn't hurt my feelings either when Ned said in an interview with Frank Craig that the 1957 Chevy was the best race car ever built!

2) While standing on the actual track before the cars were cranked and having Chocolate Myers, the former Richard Childress/Dale Earnhardt gas manwalk up behind us, grab the back of my grandson's Wrangler pitcrew shirt and hollar, "Boy, where'd you get that shirt? Let me look in the collar and see whose name is in there!" That made Tommy's day.

3) Being recognized by Greg Moore, Bud Moore's son and former Team Manager of Bud Moore Racing as soon as we walked in the VIP tent. While eating a couple of delicious cheeseburgers, Greg walked over with his cell phone and said he had somebody who needed to talk to me. It was Bud Moore on the line from Spartanburg and I just about choked up. Bud said, "Look Fulton (he always called me by my last name), me, Pearson and Cotton Owens meet for lunch every day at noon at the Peach Blossom Restaurant in Spartanburg. You need to come down and eat lunch with us one day." Well, that phone call was the top of the day moment for me on what was a fascinating day.

Kudos to all of the immensely dedicated volunteers who orchestrated this fabulous weekend. The printed event program produced by Ed Sanseverino is particulary impressive. I look forward to seeing the photos that Ed and Ray will post here on this site. What a marvelous time.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
13 years ago
1,783 posts

Dave,

Thanks for posting about your experience at occoneechee. The HSG is an awesome bunch who have...and continue to do an awesome job with that event. It has been one of my favorites since going there the first time about 4 years ago.

Getting home from my trip late Friday night and nursing a sore throat has kept me away from this year's event. I truly miss being there. It is always great to read about other's experiences.

Thanks very much for supporting our friends, the Historic Speedway Group at Occoneechee. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the interviews from there.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts
Dido. I've been to to all but one of the Celebration of the Automobile events and this one topped the rest in my opinion. It was good to see my friends and meet some I only knew through racersreunion, which I now can call my personal friends and met some new people that I hope to see again. Great event, the staff were everywhere, you didn't have to look far to see an orange Occoneechee speedway shirt, great job gals and guys, you sold the show yesterday, people will be back. I especially liked the on track display, the introduction of drivers Ned Jarrett, Rex White, Tom Pistone, and of course Chocolate Myer gave a great history lesson. The on track laps were awesome, a real treat for the vintage car owners and fans in the seats, the crowd loved the fly-bys and from what I heard the drivers put on a show. Super, super day!!! And Dave, I was standing right there when you were speaking to Chocolate, saw your grandson's yellow wrangler shirt but didn't see you, sorry to have missed ya. Lastly, the street rods are always a cool addition to the show, they don't get all the publicity as the race cars but they are the frame around the painting.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Jim, I am so sorry I missed seeing you in person. Another day, I hope.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts
You bet Dave, another day for sure
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
Sound's like another fantastic event , congratulations! I was not able to attend this year, but hopefully, I'll be on hand next time.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts
The Tant/Mitchell/Hendrick 'Flying 11' is one beautiful peace!
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Roy (Ray's son) had that car (which he personally built) , as well as his own Late Model #11 there. If I had a dollar for every time I saw that flying #11 win, I could buy my wife a fur coat! Seems a little funny seeing those Hoosiers on the #11. I never saw it race with anything but M&H Racemasters or Firestones a little later.

--
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
13 years ago
907 posts

It's a great looking piece for sure. Looks like a '36 body. Haven't seen this particular car, but does it have torsion-bar front suspension, like the original?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Jim or one of our other mechanically inclined members will have to weigh in on the front suspension of the Tant/Mitchell Replica Roy built to honor his dad.I plain don't know.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts

It is a '36 according to the piece written when the car was on display at Talladega:

Roy Hendrick Delivers Replica Of His Father's 1936 No. 11 Modified Coupe For Display In IMHOF Museum

3/9/2007
In light of his father's upcoming induction into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame (IMHOF), Roy Hendrick (center), son of 2007 inductee Ray Hendrick, visited Talladega to deliver a special addition to the museum - a replica of the 1936 Chevrolet Coupe NASCAR No. 11 Modified machine made famous by his father. Friends Todd Chaffin (left) and Wayne Wesson (right) assisted Hendrick in building the car and came along for the delivery. "We were thrilled to death when he was inducted as one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers, and we thought it was great when we were told he is being recognized on an individual basis by induction into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame. It was really exciting for the whole family to hear," Hendrick said. "We started working on the car before we learned he would be inducted, but when we got the call, it made sense to bring the car down here for display. It was really exciting for the whole family to hear." The car is now on display in the International Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum, which is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., seven days a week with the exception of major holidays. This year's black-tie ceremony consists of a reception, banquet and awards ceremony and is set for Thursday April 26, 2007. The 2007 class of inductees consists of Warren Johnson, Wayne Rainey, Ray Hendrick, Junie Donlavey, Jack Ingram and Bruton Smith.

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts
Dave, It looked like a torsion bar suspension not unlike what you would have seen under the front of some of those famous Petty Plymouths. Sorry I missed you on Saturday, there was a lot going on and I guess our paths never crossed or maybe they did and I just did not know it. I know that Jim Lambert was there but never got a chance to speak to him, saw his Troyer Modified though.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
Dennis, my loss not to have seen you or Jim Wilmore. Again, I hope next time, someplace, we'll meet. Thanks for answering Bopper's suspension question. I'm the guy who dropped a screw in his distributor the last time I tried to change points in 1974. I learned an expensive lesson! Let somebody who knows what they're doing do it (or in this case, answer it). I remember the Troyer mod and Joe Kelly interviewing out on the track.

--
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
13 years ago
214 posts
three days was awsome events.for me it was like chritmas day.dave it was honor to meet you and your grandson.got some great photos coming up this week.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
We are holding our breath to see your pix, Ray!

--
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Dave, I was certainly glad to meet you on Saturday, right at the Racers Reunion tent. Glad you and your grandson had a wonderful time. Hope yall can make it again next year. I'm always happy to meet people that I talk to on this wonderful site.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
It was my pleasure. I laughed so hard talking to Gene Hobby when he said Frank Craig always blamed him for spilling his snow cone on his shirt when Gene did his famous 1965 Occoneechee flip that I remembered so well from the photo sequence in my Southern MotorSports Journal. Every single person I met at Occoneechee was a nice one.

--
Thomas K. Craig
@thomas-k-craig
13 years ago
53 posts
Dave i've heard that story about my dad and his snow cone so many times. But it never gets old. I'm sure Gene told you he bought my dad a snow cone a couple of years back at the Columbia Speedway event. Also I have a story about Gene. A couple of years ago me and him got invited to Duke University to lecture a class about the history of stock car racing. Now I know you know how Gene loves to talk. Well the lecture was 2 hours long and I got to speak about 5 minutes of it. Gene had that class in the palm of his hand. I didnt care I didnt get to tallk. I enjoyed every minute of him talking. Gene is a wonderful man. I'm proud to call him a good friend. I always love to joke around with him! He is a class individual.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
13 years ago
9,137 posts
It was the first time I had met Gene. Can see why you would enjoy his company.

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
13 years ago
488 posts

I agree Thomas and Dave, Gene is one cool cat and one of the most consistently friendly people I know, it's always a pleasure to be around Gene Hobby. Semper Fi

Thomas, I can't believe we didn't meet, there was so much going on and so many people to talk to no wonder you guys have made a weekend out of it, what an experience.

Frank Craig
@frank-craig
13 years ago
71 posts
We appreciate all the kind things said about the event and are glad it turned out the way it did.The smiles are how we get payed and our bank account is full! Thanks to everyone that came. The Historic Speedway Group
Michael W. Smith
@michael-w-smith
13 years ago
109 posts
Dave it was great meeting you and thanks for taking the time to do the interview with the legend. I am drawing and listening to it right now. I will get it sent over to Jeff as soon as I can. Great stuff! W