Brian France Interview

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

I haven't seen video or audio of BZF's press conference. But from all I've read, it seems he is very tone deaf to the challenges facing his property.

As for King, I've got a different interpretation than how many have portrayed him. I don't think he zinged anyone. And I don't think he was reluctant to share 7 titles with Johnson as the headline of the syndicated AP article in my Sunday paper said.

King's personality at 79 is about the same as it's been his whole life - at least since I've been following him 40+ years ago.

He has consistently said over the years drivers do their thing in their particular era. Whether it was Earnhardt, Gordon, Stewart, Johnson, etc., the eras aren't comparable when debating "the best".

Before the race, contemporary, ignorant media were trying to create something out of nothing because King hadn't met with Jimmie Johnson. Afterwards, RPM released a statement attributed to the King noting Johnson's accomplishment. Some no-name hack from an ESPN show I'd never heard of tweeted link to it with a sarcastic comment about the King's congratulations being underwhelming and perhaps insincere.

This just in:

• Jimmie Johnson was competing for a championship. He had tons of media and sponsor obligations.
  • Jimmie Johnson is 40ish. The King is 79. They aren't exactly peers who hang out together at and away from the track. No surprise.
  • King doesn't use a cell phone. Therefore, Jimmie wasn't going to get a call, text or tweet from Richard.
  • King is still a car owner with tons of operational and organizational problems with his two pitiful Fords. Hobnobbing with a potential champion from Chevy probably isn't high on his list of things to do.
  • Publicly, King never showed a ton of exuberance when he won his own races and titles. He smiled in good times and bad. But he wasn't a fist pumper like Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan or Jeff Gordon. So why would anyone expect him to do so for Jimmie - before or after he won the title?

I don't believe King is reluctant to share the throne of greatness with Johnson - no more than he was with Earnhardt. But I damn sure am reluctant because I don't think the 48's seven Cups are remotely comparable to the effort it took the 43 to win his.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

DITO, I thought the same thing Chase!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

Add my ditto to Dennis'

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
8 years ago
3,119 posts

And my "Ditto"

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
8 years ago
221 posts

But he didn't fall for the media. The interviewer clearly was fishing for controversy, and Richard didn't fall for it.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
8 years ago
835 posts

Spelling never my strong suit :)