My, how things have changed

Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
12 years ago
365 posts

I was reading Biggy Bigelow's column at the Caledonian Record website. Biggy is in Vermont and writes about the racing scene in New England. I don't know anything about the cars and drivers but he's knowledgeable and enthusiastic and sometimes I need to get away from million dollar race cars and lose myself in the real auto racing.

The Milk Bowl is this weekend at Thunder Road, Ken Squier's track in Barre, VT, and one of the traditions is for former winners and their cars to make an appearance. This week's column had this tidbit about the the first winner in 1962.

I spoke to Denny about his old race car. I will give you a little history on the Dearborn saga in racing. Denny bought Ronnie Marvins car at the end of the 1961 season. He changed the car number to 7. That was his telephone number, as doctors and lawyers back in the day were reserved for numbers 1-10. This was before we had seven-digit numbers. Using a frame he bought in New York and a body he found in a river in Vermont, Denny put a car together and let Hard Luck race it as he was hurt and Harold was leading in points at that time."

Now back in 1962, I lived in a more metropolitan area and we had seven digit numbers. It was still rural enough that we had a few dairy farms within a mile radius but it was modern enough for supermarkets and department stores too. Anyone here still have an older number back then? I think most rural areas had a four digit number in the Fifties & Sixties. Our neighbors had a party line.

updated by @andy-denardi: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

That;'s a cool tidbit. I used to run some promotions in the early 80s with Ken Squier at both Thunder Road and Catamount Stadium in Vermont for Wrangler Jeans.

Growing up in metropolitan Richmond, Va. in the 50s-60s, we first had a two-party line shared with a a neighbor across the back alley on the street behind us before getting a "private" line. We had 7 digit numbers. I was in the ELGIN exchange, EL-54209. Most of the downtown businesses in Richmond were in the MILTON exchange - MI-XXXXX. I also remember an ATLANTIC exchange - AT-XXXXX. I forget the others.

Growing up in rural Wilson County, NC, my wife's home had an 8-party line with a different ring for each party. Don't know what sort of numbers they had, though.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Our local Richmond provider was a part of the Bell System - Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone (C&P), which later became part of Bell Atlantic, then Verizon. My uncle was a lineman, with his truck, ladder, etc.

The Wilson, NC phone service was provided by Carolina Telephone & Telegraph of Tarboro, NC, a very competent provider which was acquired in the 90s by United Telecom which sold to Sprint which became Embarq which has now been acquired by CenturyLink.

Although most of Charlotte was serviced by Southern Bell, which became BellSouth, our annexed area was the domain of Alltel and its landline business was purchased by Windstream, the second worst phone service I've encountered. The worst was the local phone company in Charlottesville, Va. when I was in college there in the 60s.

By the way, I detest cell phones and will only use one under duress, like if I am being carjacked or my engine has just blown up, lol.

--
Andy DeNardi
@andy-denardi
12 years ago
365 posts
We always had a private line as best as I can recall, but never understood my we had the letter prefixes or why they got ride of them. Either seems equally easy to remember. I guess they were a holdover from the six digit numbers that Patty recalls. Ours were TEmple and VOlunteer. There likely was another, maybe UL but I didn't know anyone who had it.These days they say that there aren't enough phone numbers to go around. It tickles me that it wasn't so long ago it was possible to have a 1 digit number. Well, it was long ago, but not to me. But some things never change. That old neighbor that never got off the phone? Now there are dozens of them everywhere I go. I can't imagine what's so important that people can't wait until they get out of the supermarket line. I only have a cell phone now, but it rarely leaves my house.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I watched a woman walk into the exit door at Target last week while texting on her way from the parking lot. I gave her a kindly piece of advice which she didn't appreciate.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

The Telephone Museum of Virginia http://jackmansystems.com/telephonemuseum/index.html is located in a former Richmond bowling alley constructed in the early 60s where I bowled my first game of tenpins. Duck Pin bowling was the big deal then in Richmond, Norfolk, Washington, DC and Baltimore.

The link has some really good photos of old telephone equipment.

--
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
12 years ago
242 posts

I can remember as a 6 year old (1934) the old hand cranked wall phone. My mother and Aunts used to crank the phone then ask the Operator ring # ******. It was a 4 party line we were # 2 ring. If you wanted person to person, it was more expensive. We were in the middle of a depression so person to person was never used.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

My wife, Joyce was a a long distance operator in Raleigh for Southern Bell, getting to work on Christmas Eve, etc. Then a PBX operator and finally settling in to the Southern Bell State Government Marketing Office in Raleigh until we married in 1973.

I guess those State Government types had lots of phone needs to have their own dedicated marketing office with the phone company. Our wedding director was the wife of her telephone company boss. Joyce adored the folks she worked with at the phone company.

Somewhere in our family photo archives is a group photo of the Southern Bell Raleigh Marketing Office circa late 60s with Joyce in a VERY short mini-skirt and high top, shiny white , Nancy Sinatra-type "These Boots are Made for Walking" boots! She is also wearing shoulder length hair, which I've never seen in person.

At our Wrangler plant in Wilson in the early 70s we'd occasionally have our dumb blonde switchboard operator page Arnold Ziffel, the pig on the Green Acres television show. She never caught on in her very brief tenure.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

How much of this looks familiar?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Well, it took 2 months, but I finally found the photo, taken in November 1971. The young lady seated on the far right of the front row, sporting long hair, mini-skirt and shiny white "Nancy Sinatra" "walking" boots is my future wife to be, Joyce, exactly two years to the month before we were married. I have never seen her with long hair except in photos. If she ever sees this picture posted here, it may be the end of days at RR!

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

[quote="Dave Fulton"]

Well, it took 2 months, but I finally found the photo, taken in November 1971. The young lady seated on the far right of the front row, sporting long hair, mini-skirt and shiny white "Nancy Sinatra" "walking" boots is my future wife to be, Joyce, exactly two years to month before we were married. I have never seen her with long hair except in photos. If she ever sees this picture posted here, it may be the end of days at RR!

[/quote]

[quote=" @amaiziegrace "]
@dave-fulton  Hi Dave! I have an odd question, I was hoping you could answer. A few years ago, you posted a pic of your wife @ Southern Bell
[/quote]

@dave-fulton   Could you please tell me if this was taken at the old Southern Bell office on Old Louisburg Rd. in Raleigh? I am researching the history of the site, and came across the image you posted in Google Images. Much appreciated! Jenny

========================================================

Dave, I somehow missed this very interesting post ?

I think you marry the other good looking  "Nancy   Sinatra"   sister: Tina Sinatra.

Dennis Garrett

Richmond, Va. USA

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

But the change did come to Raleigh, and a number of citizens gathered at the new Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company building at Morgan and McDowell streets to witness that first dial phone call and to mark the occasion.

http://www.newsobserver.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/past-times/article10090043.html

Raleigh’s switchboard had grown to a busy 38 stations before it was replaced by dial telephones in 1939.

Past Times: When Raleigh made the switch to telephone dialing

October 09, 2014 01:44 PM

Updated October 10, 2014 03:30 AM